Social MEDIA ..

General Udon Thani topics only!
Macca
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by Macca » February 19, 2015, 8:35 am

parrot wrote:
Macca wrote:Another aspect is the obsession with posting just about everything on FB or youtube.
The number of deaths and injuries caused through accidents has increased considerably since the introduction of i-phones. People no longer want to be the saviour they just want to make sure they've caught the incident on camera.

Monday morning on Thai news a story from India, I think, of a young child getting his head stuck between railings. The clip was at least 30 seconds long before anyone bothered to try and help him.

"Quick save him......Noooooo let me tape it first"
When I was a kid and licked outdoor hand rails when it was twenty below zero in Connecticut, my friends, of course, didn't have access to techy toys, but they didn't help me get my tongue unstuck either.
Can't blame them for that one. :D :D :D :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by Khun Paul » February 19, 2015, 12:33 pm

Can't beat a good honest down to earth face to face conversation , those that think otherwise are not in my book part of the human race. Technology is killing the art of conversation and with it social intercourse and all the joys and blunders that come with it. We were made to talk not text, we were made to interact not `plug ourselves ' in like a load of robots.
It has its uses , mobile Phones , computors , and cameras, but not in one package, I like to be able to think and react, not be told I MUST have the latest to keep in touch. If you are unable to express yourselves in a civilised manner face to face then I have not missed anything.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by old-timer » February 19, 2015, 12:49 pm

Macca wrote:"tape it first"
Most certainly old school Macca. Things have moved on a little bit now, recording tapes have been replaced by digital devices that don't require tapes. Did you really think that..................., no forget it.

OT............... \:D/

GT93
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by GT93 » February 19, 2015, 1:42 pm

I think social media clicks with us genetically in some way. It must get the serotonin going. Maybe some of us get less of a rush.

I have never had a smart phone and don't want one.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Earnest
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by Earnest » February 20, 2015, 3:19 am

Smart phones drain batteries quicker. Old school mobile (cell phone, Yanks) last for ages.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by fdimike » February 20, 2015, 8:10 am

I recently bought my first smart phone because my nearly 9 year old "stupid" phone's battery could not be recharged any longer and a replacement battery was not worth the cost. I bought the "smart" phone for 2 reasons. 1. needed a new phone, 2. wanted something with GPS for use when I cycle (bicycle) because asking directions from local yokels is an exercise in absolute futility. I have no use for the rest of the nonsense on the phone to include social media and can't quite comprehend why Thais seem to have their noses buried in the damned thing 24/7 other than they lead very shallow lives. My wife and I took a friend to Dose for dinner last month. As we entered the restaurant there was a young couple with a child in a stroller sitting at one of the small tables alongside the wall deeply engossed in their devices. During the entire hour and a half we were in the restaurant they never said a word to each other or to the baby as they were just too busy texting. I suspect the baby was also doing its own texting as well like how about getting me some parents who care about me just a little and are not so selfabsorbed.

KP gets my vote!
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

parrot
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by parrot » February 20, 2015, 10:41 am

Although a Seinfeld fan, I probably missed far more of his shows than saw. But having watched the Chinese Restaurant episode on youtube last night makes me wonder what George would have done had he been in a restaurant with his friends and seen a family engrossed in their smartphones. Surely he'd have stewed.....but would he have gone so far as to confront the family and give them a lesson in old-school social values? I think so. And, of course, that would have made a great episode.

I've always held that if I were a young parent today (in the US or even more so here), the last thing I'd want is for my parents to be a regular caretaker for my child. I'd prefer my child to grow up in the 21st Century and leave the 20th behind. If rock and roll, free sex, and LSD/marijuana didn't ruin the 60's generation, I'm sure the current generation will survive on high tech just fine.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by bigsnake » February 20, 2015, 11:10 am

Texting while with FRIENDS is for sure a CONVERSATION KILLER! NUFF SAID

parrot
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by parrot » February 20, 2015, 11:13 am

Sorry, I meant to add..........if I were going to entrust my young child today with my parents, I'd want to be sure my parents understood words like Uber, Pinterest, Snapchat, and Instagram........at least they'd be able to use them when talking to my children......"hey, want to watch some Lawrence Welk on that thingamajig when you're done checking in with your Snapchat friends?"

rufus
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by rufus » February 22, 2015, 8:04 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:Sorry guys but just had to bring up this subject again , maybe even an old thread i dunno ......but

As an advertizing medium SM is great ........however my beef is not with the advertizing side of SM but the social impacts ...

After watching the same numerous times in our own business and in many other places around the country/world i am increasingly coming to the opinion that social media in all its forms is really starting to take over the art of socializing in its real sense ...so much so im thinking of a NO WIFI , PHONE , IPAD zone 1 day per week at our business ,,, that day lets get back to CONVERSATION , BANTER AND BAR ROOM ATMOS in its real form ...... sadly i doubt we would have many takers as it appears we are being taken over ,

Call it progress ..i call it sad when couples turn out for a Valentines meal n drinks and spend all the time on the IPhone or Line , even worse social groups 6-8 people turn up all on seperate devices talking to others or even those at the same table ... BLOODY HELL COMON ..whats the world coming too WHEN EVERYONE TAKES A PHOTO OF EVERYTHING THEY DO OR EAT ?? ......heres me eating a kebab , heres me drinking a bucket of camel piss .. and hers me naked parachuting in Syria !! does anyone really give a monkeys ??....

Kids and social media .......whilst it has many pluses in education again i feel kids of all ages who start using SM in all it forms are loosing the art of socializing thus developing any other personality traits than typing at a screen , why not mix and look at other kids socially if in the area .. ??

Others including former UM guru Black George im sure will have a different view but as stated this is ONLY MY OPINION is it me or im i just getting OLD .......older
Drunk Monkey, I totally agree with you. This generation needs instant gratification for everything. It is pathetic.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Social MEDIA ..

Post by merchant seaman » February 22, 2015, 8:28 am

Sitting with the family in front of the TV watching "Sing Along With Mitch", and constantly being reminded to keep an eye on the bouncing ball. The beginning of Karoke.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”