elementary schools Udon?

General Udon Thani topics only!
richjp

elementary schools Udon?

Post by richjp » July 11, 2015, 1:20 pm

Hi, Im looking for a list of public elementary schools in and around Udon, not much luck with google, any info appreciated, thanks

Rich
[email protected]

GT93
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by GT93 » July 11, 2015, 1:36 pm

I understand Anuban Udonthani might be the best. I'd be interested in others such as KP's thoughts. It comes up on google and has a Facebook page. It'd be a pain in the arse taking kids to and from the school because of the traffic.

Whoops the Facebook page is practically non-existent. Not a good advertisement.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by Khun Paul » July 11, 2015, 3:13 pm

Anuban now has agency english teachers which says it all really. not my first choice I can tell you

GT93
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by GT93 » July 11, 2015, 3:32 pm

What do you think are some of the better public primary schools KP? I gather we'd be looking at the best ones to get a child into Udon Pit which I assume is still the best public secondary school.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by Khun Paul » July 11, 2015, 6:42 pm

If one were to go back a few years you will find that basically all schools will supply the main ingredients for the majority of students no matter who their parents are.
Unfortunately due to the Thai MOE carrying on with the NO FAIL policy even idiots pass exams and that shows in the level of good English speakers amongst our so-called good schools. Bloody atrocious !.
I have alsways said and i stand by it again, that most schools will offer same same , if your child is lagging in one or two subjects find a good tutor preferably one to one toi encourage and assist the child. Most of the so-called exterior learning establishments are there to take your money they do not really give a rats-arse how good or bad your child is just that his parents pay. Up front and in advance. personal tutors are normally more flexible and will tailor the teaching to suit the child or to improve their weaknesses.
The wheel is slowly turning but I am afraid it will take a few years for the teaching profession in Thailand to improve, until then it behoves all parents to monitor the child's learning and to question what the teacher is teaching.
For example: Why is it, that many schools offer after school classes for a price, when all they are in fact doing, is teaching the same crap they are supposed to teach in the day BUT DON'T ? Yet I bet the teacher says , your child could do with more teaching in this or that subject. I know one school where the after hours tuition earns the teacher a nice 10k per month. on top of their salary. teaching the same stuff GO FIGURE.

GT93
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by GT93 » July 12, 2015, 7:38 am

Hopefully some school names will be posted. There are several Tetsabahn (spelling?) primary schools in the city. I think but I'm not sure that they are schools funded by the local district. I don't know anything about them. As a general rule I would think city schools are better than ones outside the city.

It's not common to see this posted but I think a kid that does very well in the better public Thai schools has Thailand at his or her doorstep. That's providing poverty isn't going to see his or her education terminated early.

rct
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by rct » July 12, 2015, 8:02 am

Am not sure if Don Bosco and St Mary's are considered public or private, I do know they are difficult to get in due to high standards (and some may cite other reasons), though anyone seems to be able to go if the child has merit based on proper behavior as well as smarts. A child must keep up academically or would get the boot, in other words, they do not keep failures at the school. They are quite strict.

My children are into their 3rd year there now - in 1st and 3rd grade - and so far I like what I see. In the beginning, I was opposed to moving from Paramin which was a lot more fun for kids and has a better student : teacher ratio. I also feared Don Bosco would be a nightmare to drive to at peak times, it is challenging, vs Paramin which was near my home in fact.

The annual fee at Don Bosco is quite low compared to private schools such as Paramin. Concerning teachers giving extra lessons, they do this at Don Bosco, an option to stay an extra hour until 16h40 for an extra fee to the school, and if that is not enough, can even add Saturdays. While I am not sure how much this is actually helpful for the child vs being just a child care function for the extra hour or Saturday, I have the utmost respect for the teachers I have seen there, who can manage to get from say 07h30 (classes begin at 08h00) until 16h40. And then some actually take a group home for extra tutorial until 19h00! That takes some stamina for the teachers! I dare say too much stamina for a child, so I do not push my children much beyond the 16h40 mark.

I want happy kids, and mine are.

papaguido
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by papaguido » July 12, 2015, 9:42 am

rct wrote:Am not sure if Don Bosco and St Mary's are considered public or private, I do know they are difficult to get in due to high standards (and some may cite other reasons), though anyone seems to be able to go if the child has merit based on proper behavior as well as smarts. A child must keep up academically or would get the boot, in other words, they do not keep failures at the school. They are quite strict.

My children are into their 3rd year there now - in 1st and 3rd grade - and so far I like what I see. In the beginning, I was opposed to moving from Paramin which was a lot more fun for kids and has a better student : teacher ratio. I also feared Don Bosco would be a nightmare to drive to at peak times, it is challenging, vs Paramin which was near my home in fact.

The annual fee at Don Bosco is quite low compared to private schools such as Paramin. Concerning teachers giving extra lessons, they do this at Don Bosco, an option to stay an extra hour until 16h40 for an extra fee to the school, and if that is not enough, can even add Saturdays. While I am not sure how much this is actually helpful for the child vs being just a child care function for the extra hour or Saturday, I have the utmost respect for the teachers I have seen there, who can manage to get from say 07h30 (classes begin at 08h00) until 16h40. And then some actually take a group home for extra tutorial until 19h00! That takes some stamina for the teachers! I dare say too much stamina for a child, so I do not push my children much beyond the 16h40 mark.

I want happy kids, and mine are.
I believe St Mary's is private and I read somewhere that Bosco is semi private, receiving some gov funding. The after school programs at Bosco, IMO amount to a baby sitting class for working parents. I have one that takes the extra hour after school and another that attends on Saturday. I have no expectations that they really learn anything during that time, but better than sitting at home playing computer games.

hairyharry
udonmap.com

elementary schools Udon?

Post by hairyharry » July 12, 2015, 1:02 pm

Tessabahn 2, Non Prajak Park next to the civic offices (opposite side of the park to Udon hospital).

Dedicated, hard working, caring teachers, first rate, forward thinking leadership, fantastic pastoral care and a very happy school. Caters from Kindergarten to M3.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”