who wants to be thai ?

General Udon Thani topics only!
BobHelm
udonmap.com

who wants to be thai ?

Post by BobHelm » March 15, 2016, 11:12 am

Hoopoe wrote: Free health care ??????? if you have permanently been here over 12 months i think you'll find your free health care has taken a **** , Expats outside of Europe get charged for health care in the UK
Certainly not if you are a pensioner.
There are a number of other 'exemptions' from the 12 month rule as well...

papaguido
udonmap.com

who wants to be thai ?

Post by papaguido » March 15, 2016, 1:18 pm

My step son, a Thai national, is presently 10 mos into his 2 year conscript obligation. In his case it went something like this.

Turned 20 in July 2012, registered with local office and told to report for the lottery in April 2013.

Come April reports for the lottery, draws the unlucky color and proceeds to the medical evaluation. During his physical he points out to the doctor he has a bad/injured knee. Doctor confirms and recommends a one year medical deferment. Recommendation accepted step son is required to report back in April 2014.

May 2014 step son realizes he missed his report-in date by a month. Wife tells him to get his azz to the local office and expect the worse. An hour later he’s home. He needs 1000bt to pay a fine for missing his report-in date and has to return where upon he’ll be detained until he can see a judge. Sometime later he’s in front of the judge. Judge scolds him for being AWOL and then tells him that he’s required to report in April 2015. If he late or absent the judge will issue a warrant for his arrest and jail him for 2 years.

April 2015 rolls around, he reports to the lottery, early. Is medically reevaluated and given a pass and told to report for duty in May.

Fast forward...it appears that he likes the Army and is applying for regular army. Last week he went to Bangkok for aptitude exams which he passed and next week he’s following up with medical/physical exams.

Can’t be all that bad, he’s been at home for the last 2 weeks. His CO gave him time off to get his regular Army application completed and told him not to come back until it was it done.

dingdong
udonmap.com

who wants to be thai ?

Post by dingdong » March 15, 2016, 1:33 pm

Great story and thanks for the positive attitude in which it was presented

Glad to hear he has found a career to pursue and hopefully but by the sounds of it enjoy

Thanks again
Ding

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

who wants to be thai ?

Post by Hoopoe » March 15, 2016, 2:21 pm

BobHelm wrote:
Hoopoe wrote: Free health care ??????? if you have permanently been here over 12 months i think you'll find your free health care has taken a **** , Expats outside of Europe get charged for health care in the UK
Certainly not if you are a pensioner.
There are a number of other 'exemptions' from the 12 month rule as well...
Bob can you clarify the pensioner and other exemptions , if poss ,i thought i'd refresh this post as have got a freind on his way back soon , has major probs , he's a uk pensioner , iv'e read tons on the NHS web pages , heads spinning ,trying to find a definate yes/no in his case is proving impossible

BobHelm
udonmap.com

who wants to be thai ?

Post by BobHelm » March 16, 2016, 6:58 am

Yes, to find a definite Yes/No is virtually impossible.
The UK Government (in a cowardly move) dumped the responsibility onto the individual Health Authorities.
So, you (or your friend) need to find out what the rules are in the Health Authority that he will need to go for for treatment.

This is an extract from a Gloucestershire Health Authority Document on the matter of patient payment..
7. There are three broad categories of overseas visitor exemption

b)
Those who are not part of the resident population
. Examples
are: UK state pensioners living overseas; some former UK residents
now working overseas; missionaries acting for UK-based mission;
armed forces members and crown servants serving overseas;
people visiting from EEA countries and Switzerland with
EHIC/E112/S2, plus people visiting from countries with which the UK
has a bilateral healthcare arrangement. A list of such countries can
be found in the guidance on the Department of Health website (see
below).
However the Government did bring in new guidelines for Health Authorities to help them decide if a person had 'ordinary residency' in the UK (& thus entitled to free health care) in April 2015.
The guidelines are here..
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ent-uk.pdf

Reading them it appears that it is still very much 'up in the air' & left to the Health Authority to decide. However it is important to note that British citizens and their family members are exempt & that they are defined as
British citizens” have an automatic right of abode in the UK. A British citizen who has been living abroad, or who is migrating to the UK for the first time, can therefore pass the ordinary residence test upon taking up settled residence here. British Citizens who are no longer living and settled in the UK cannot be said to be Ordinarily Resident i
There is no 'time limit' set on what 'taking up settled residence' requires!!!!

So it is really back to the health authorities to set the rules..

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

who wants to be thai ?

Post by Hoopoe » March 16, 2016, 8:30 am

Cheers for the Bob thats what i found , i just wondered if anyone knew any different , he's a bit fortunate as his daughter works/manages A&E

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”