very short songkran this year!

General Udon Thani topics only!
ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » April 17, 2016, 10:53 am

in the city, it lasted 3 days! from memories of the past, I recall its usually 5 days of hard partying and having to stay inside or have dirty water thrown on me if I go out.
I guess the economy, the drought and military had a part to do with the short songkran.

I was able to go out on my motorbike @ 1:30 on day 4, not get wet and not seen anyone throwing water....... amazing thailand!

the silence from yesterday and today is golden........ =;

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » April 17, 2016, 11:25 am

Always been 3 days in Udon apart from UD Town...

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 17, 2016, 11:49 am

3 days 'official' holiday, except when extended, such as last year, officially to 5 days (for 'happiness) w/weekends to 9 days.

But get ting tong's point, when first arrived, out in villages, 10 days seemed the normal till just the past few years. Seemed to start the weekend before, and a day or so after in the past. Not so much now, and 3 days in town, and at designated areas.

A good thing.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » April 17, 2016, 11:53 am

Pooclover wrote:Always been 3 days in Udon apart from UD Town...
and how long have you been here? :shock:

when they had money, water and no military (leadership), saturday and sunday was party time too.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 17, 2016, 12:02 pm

Villagers tend to party a few days before and a few days after official (3 day) Songkran. Kids were still throwing water in the village on Saturday and people were still partying. But today, Sunday, all quiet and back to normal.
I did not see the convoys of pickup trucks packed with people and large buckets of water this year. A few.....but way below what I've seen in the past. I think the government's pleas to conserve water may have helped.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » April 17, 2016, 12:24 pm

yes, I've seen cars and trucks come to town covered in baby powder days before it officially starts

from memory it was - is 10 days songkran in pattaya, filled with stupid farang partyers

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 17, 2016, 1:48 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » April 17, 2016, 2:24 pm

The wife told me that the military said people could not put the garbage cans full of water in the back of the trucks, and that took a lot of the fun out of the festival.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 17, 2016, 2:33 pm

Yes, being on the back of a pick up with the Thai family and a garbage can full of water is a great Songkran experience.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » April 17, 2016, 3:24 pm

GT93 wrote:Yes, being on the back of a pick up with the Thai family and a garbage can full of water is a great Songkran experience.
being at home with a girl that arrives "soaking wet" is a far better experience 8)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 17, 2016, 3:29 pm

rjj04 wrote:The wife told me that the military said people could not put the garbage cans full of water in the back of the trucks, and that took a lot of the fun out of the festival.
And also it was difficult to fill up the pots as water companies etc were closed down - normally you would be able to top up for THB20 in my town.

I saw several pick ups down by the lakes filling up. I reckon there's a few bad stomachs after swallowing that water!!

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » April 17, 2016, 3:29 pm

rjj04 wrote:The wife told me that the military said people could not put the garbage cans full of water in the back of the trucks, and that took a lot of the fun out of the festival.
And also it was difficult to fill up the pots as water companies etc were closed down - normally you would be able to top up for THB20 in my town.

I saw several pick ups down by the lakes filling up. I reckon there's a few bad stomachs after swallowing that water!!

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » April 17, 2016, 4:43 pm

We spent Friday afternoon throwing water and a lot of the pickups had trashcans, big coolers, etc. full of water, but there was definitely less activity, less traffic, than previous years. Songkran is fun (for two days) if you plan for it.

Pooclover
udonmap.com
Location: Sitting in a sleazy snack-bar sucking sickly sausage rolls

Post by Pooclover » April 17, 2016, 5:01 pm

ting_tong wrote:
Pooclover wrote:Always been 3 days in Udon apart from UD Town...
and how long have you been here? :shock:

when they had money, water and no military (leadership), saturday and sunday was party time too.

First visit 1998 then living here full time sinse 2000.... always being three days in the city except for a few young kids here and there...

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 17, 2016, 6:14 pm

Pooclover wrote: by Pooclover » April 17, 2016, 5:01 pm

ting_tong wrote:
Pooclover wrote:
Always been 3 days in Udon apart from UD Town...

and how long have you been here?

First visit 1998 then living here full time sinse 2000.... always being three days in the city except for a few young kids here and there...
I agree with Pooclover, this year was no different to the last 20 years, the only places that overdo it are Pattaya and Chang Mai. I hoped with the drought it might have only gone for two days.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”