Submersible Pumps

General Udon Thani topics only!
Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Submersible Pumps

Post by Kudjap or Bust » March 28, 2007, 10:03 am

Looking for some info regarding submersible pumps for airation.

We have a largish pond 35m x 25m, recently some of the fish have been dying and we have been told it's because the water needs changing. No problem we'll get the local guy here with the pump to empty it and no doubt have a fish BBQ fest.

But, when we come to refill (or let nature do it's thing during rainy season) I want to install a submersible pump to airate the pond, was thinking about running either a waterfall or fountain if that would do the trick.

Anyone know how to calculate which size pump I would need? And, I suppose, if this solution would work??

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 28, 2007, 10:37 am

Teh pump for airation depends on the size of the pond. However a large pond does not need a gigantic pump. The more you diffuse the water while in the air, the more oxygen it will pick up. If you leave it running 24/7 again a smaller pump may be used. I have not looked at this type of pump while in Thailand, but I would bet either a 3/4 HP or 1 HP will surely do the trick.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 28, 2007, 1:37 pm

I saw a documentary a while ago about fish and prawn farming in Thailand and they seemed to be useing small Paddle Wheels to oxyginate and move the water. Could be a cheap alternative.

dbriggins
udonmap.com

Post by dbriggins » March 28, 2007, 8:21 pm

Aardvark wrote:I saw a documentary a while ago about fish and prawn farming in Thailand and they seemed to be useing small Paddle Wheels to oxyginate and move the water. Could be a cheap alternative.
One of the kings inventions...http://www.chaipat.or.th/chaipat/n_stag ... rx2_e.html ...though he wasn't the first to think one up. He has them running on the moat surrounding the palace in BKK...Pretty easy to get one, I'd imagine. Here's a rather advanced version of the same thing...http://www.bigjohnaerators.com/.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 29, 2007, 6:17 pm

Anotehr possible cheap fix, I do not know how deep your shallow water table(How far down you would need to go to not get salt water) but if not to deep, a windmill. Keeps pond full and oxygenates water if you let it fall from a pipe up in the air.

Just a thought

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » March 30, 2007, 11:26 am

OK thanks for the suggestions, but would a waterfall / fountain give the same results airationwise. The TW likes the idea of either...

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » March 30, 2007, 5:04 pm

That is what is needed exactly. Make sure the water free falls in the air for a bit and not just run over rocks. It needs to fall in the air to pick up the air/

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » March 31, 2007, 10:11 am

excellent thanks for the answer, I guess now I need to find a bunch of rock...........lol

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » March 31, 2007, 5:14 pm

Perhaps some excellent builders from the forum can help you with the construction of this waterfall!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » April 1, 2007, 10:27 am

maybe..........................and I can guess who you are thinking about.........

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”