Hit & Run @ Ring Road: Foreigner Escaped / Wanted

General Udon Thani topics only!
jimjay
udonmap.com

Re: Hit & Run @ Ring Road: Foreigner Escaped / Wanted

Post by jimjay » November 18, 2016, 11:06 am

SJP17 wrote:His signal seemed to have stopped at the point of turning. Road positioning for the turn all wrong and a lack of awareness of whats behind. You should always do a life saver before commiting to a turn.
Well said SPJ17. Glad to see a realistic reply in here.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2016, 11:15 am

The fact that "he did a runner" is the ONLY thing he did wrong in the video though.
I'm not saying the guy wasn't a complete "numpty" or that he did or didn't do the other reported things, but as it stands on the evidence we have (the video) he didn't run any red light, he braked and indicated, he didn't commit any other crimes apart from leaving the scene of an accident. The only other illegal thing I can see on the video is 3 motorbikes who all clearly broke the law.

As for his signal stopping.......... they do when you turn the wheel quickly the other way to avoid the motorbike who undertook him instead of overtaking him. This would then result in his wrong position and his wing mirror not showing the other bikes :roll:

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 18, 2016, 11:31 am

stattointhailand wrote:The only other illegal thing I can see on the video is 3 motorbikes who all clearly broke the law.
Which law was broken by the 3?

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » November 18, 2016, 1:44 pm

In my view, the majority of the blame for the actual accident rests with the farang. It seems it's a late decision to try and turn in, because he brakes very sharply, has not moved far enough to the left in preparation for the turn and ends up in line with the right hand side of the entrance/exit, facing motorbikes trying to come out! Oddly, his brake lights remain on all the time, until he decides to 'take off'. He omits to flip his indicator back on, but we do not know if he cancelled, or it happened automatically. He hasn't advertised his intention well and is forced to make a sudden, complete stop in moving traffic, because he spots the first motorbike. Unfortunately, not the subsequent riders.
It has to be said that the Thai are generally pathetic at taking care and recognising a possible problem on the road ahead. Undertaking is against the law, but TIT and it happens all the time here, often in slow-moving town traffic, but also on the highway, cars particularly undertaking because somebody is hogging the fast lane. With the suddenness of this stop, the camera vehicle in between, I doubt the motorbike drivers could have overtaken on the right, even if they had the intention. :-k

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » November 18, 2016, 2:02 pm

So much speculation and so much wrong reading out of a simple video. It seems nobody noticed the motorcycle coming out of the entry where the driver wanted to turn in. That was the reason he stopped and looked forward instead of to the left. Yes, the dashcam car completely blocked the view for the motorcycles, so when he finally knew he could turn they both had no chance as to crash in.

That's what I see here. The motorcylce riders did not drive carefully enough, as did the farang. ---- happens.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » November 18, 2016, 2:13 pm

Brian Davis wrote:With the suddenness of this stop, the camera vehicle in between, I doubt the motorbike drivers could have overtaken on the right, even if they had the intention. :-k
I see no suddenness. The mc riders have passed a stopped car on the left lane (the one with the dashcam) at full speed again on the left side. That is simply damn stupid. This is a two lane section, and the moment this happens two other motorcycless pass on the right lane...

BTW, IMHO the video runs a bit too fast. That shortens the whole process.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2016, 2:34 pm

jimjay wrote:
stattointhailand wrote:The only other illegal thing I can see on the video is 3 motorbikes who all clearly broke the law.
Which law was broken by the 3?
How about "UNDERTAKING"

How about not driving with due care and attention

How about driving in a manner or at a speed that is unsafe for the road/traffic conditions.

Brian said "In my view, the majority of the blame for the actual accident rests with the farang."

I think the "Primary cause" is the action of the farang Brian, but I really do not see any way the BLAME can be his =;

He was in front and as such any vehicles behind should a) keep a safe distance and b) drive at a safe speed

Unless the car actually REVERSED into the bikes there is No way he can be blamed for the accident happening...... unless of course there were other facts that need to be taken into consideration, which we obviously cannot do without being given the evidence to study.

Brian also said "I doubt the motorbike drivers could have overtaken on the right, even if they had the intention."

Looking at the video, I think you are probably correct ...... which proves again they were travelling way too fast and obviously not paying attention to the traffic and road conditions.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2016, 2:46 pm

Techland wrote:So much speculation and so much wrong reading out of a simple video. It seems nobody noticed the motorcycle coming out of the entry where the driver wanted to turn in. That was the reason he stopped and looked forward instead of to the left. Yes, the dashcam car completely blocked the view for the motorcycles, so when he finally knew he could turn they both had no chance as to crash in.

That's what I see here. The motorcylce riders did not drive carefully enough, as did the farang. **** happens.
Have to admit I was concentrating on the rear of the car (lights) and motorcycles and hadn't noticed the other bike coming out into the wrong lane :oops:

Another point is that the car with the dashcam didn't even wait to see if the riders were all right or if he could render any assistance before taking off. He knew he had the cars details on his cam so why did he chase after him? Would have been more use phoning for police and ambulance.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 18, 2016, 3:23 pm

No turn signal that simple thing could have avoided this incident. I doubt that it would make any difference in this incident. But, I always keep an eye on the front tires of vehicles. Might be enough might not be.

As far as hanging all foreigners. No oe decided they wanted to do that when the Thai guy hit the wife and I ran away. I give them credit he hit us so hard it knocked off the license plate of the pick up he was driving. Which led to the driver being caught.

On thing of interest that was a long time ago, then there was no law against leaving the scene of an accident. Anyone know if that has changed ?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 18, 2016, 3:35 pm

The bikes broke the law that small object should be aware of bigger objects

kulsungkham
udonmap.com

Post by kulsungkham » November 18, 2016, 4:00 pm

From the comments that there are plausible and not so plausible statements regarding blame, which could have been resolved through the insurers and police intervention and put down to yet another traffic accident between a motorcycle and a car, however, leaving the scene of an accident aka 'hit & run' changes the complexion of the incident to something more serious particularly as a foreigner was involved. No doubt the gentleman will either give himself up/be caught and then face the wrath of public ridicule and/or criminal charges, or he has left the country.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 18, 2016, 4:16 pm

Kind of the same thing I said. The rule of thumb I was given the biggest vehicle has the right of way.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » November 18, 2016, 4:24 pm

The Simple fact is the bike riders were travelling to fast to avoid the car if they would have looked up and saw him turning ahead they could have braked and avoided it instead they kept accelerating and expected him to let them through the gap.
Road sense, Anticipation , judgement, Zero when it comes to thai driving skills. as for him being a Bast///// how many thais run off when they have killed someone.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2016, 4:29 pm

Just a small point but how is it a "Hit & RUN" ....... the people doing the "hitting" were picking themselves up not running.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 18, 2016, 4:36 pm

the fleeing driver's culpability began when he fled the scene of the accident.. From the video cam it was obvious the driver was attempting to get away.. Why? Drunk? No insurance? No license? Panicked?? The cops will sort it out and likely the owner of the car will end up with all the pain, suffering, and damage payments to the motorcycle riders.. If all was kosher, staying would have been the best thing to do..
Dave

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » November 18, 2016, 4:44 pm

When the 1st bike impacts the car why doesn't the second bike brake ?? to avoid it ?? obvious going to fast to avoid it. In my opinion the Bike riders were at fault for speeding and not anticipating whats happening ahead, or simply just ignoring everything around them.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 18, 2016, 4:54 pm

that would mean thinking ahead and looking ahead, something not done by too many drivers here.. Of course, the turning driver should have been looking into that left hand mirror and doing an over the shoulder peek too.. Bottom line, he ran for unknown reasons thus assuming guilt by the quoted Thai traffic law earlier in the string..
Dave

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » November 18, 2016, 4:56 pm

It amazes me that people continually carry on about a Foreigner as if that is a crime in it self. In my Country regardless of where you are from, the incident is dealt with by the Authorities on factual points of Law and there is no discrimination as to Race, Creed, Colour or Religion. When will Thailand and it's many falang apologists grow up ....

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » November 18, 2016, 4:59 pm

vlad wrote:The Simple fact is the bike riders were travelling to fast to avoid the car if they would have looked up and saw him turning ahead they could have braked and avoided it instead they kept accelerating and expected him to let them through the gap.
Road sense, Anticipation , judgement, Zero when it comes to thai driving skills. as for him being a Bast///// how many thais run off when they have killed someone.

he and all the Thais that do hit and runs are bastards/assholes in my book.
oh, also expect there wasn't someone else driving the car. don't know many farangs that would loan their car to someone.......especially a Thai, either way will be interested to findout who was driving the car.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 18, 2016, 5:14 pm

agreed mosquito people who do a runner are 'born without a father' :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”