Hit & Run @ Ring Road: Foreigner Escaped / Wanted

General Udon Thani topics only!
jimjay
udonmap.com

Hit & Run @ Ring Road: Foreigner Escaped / Wanted

Post by jimjay » November 17, 2016, 11:11 pm

A foreigner residing in Ton Tan Place ran a red light at the ring road intersection near Bo Bae / Global, and then hit & run motorbike riders including a couple due to get married next week, the bride to be now in hospital.

The event was caught on a dashboard cam, which resulted in a clip of the license plate number. The driver with the dash cam gave pursuit but the hit & run driver, identified as an "overweight foreigner", escaped.

Once the clip hit social media, someone recognized the Honda Civic as "belonging to a foreigner who resides in Ton Tan Place" (an apartment building situated far into a village area in the back roads behind Bo Bae / Global.)

The driver turned out to be an associate of the actual owner, also a foreigner, also lives at Ton Tan Place.

So once that owner's Thai wife saw the clips and the mounting risks, she advised her husband to report to the police immediately. They reported that the "friend" who had borrowed the car did a runner, to where they don't know.

No reward posted yet but the Thais are furious and recommending all sorts of penalties toward "all foreigners", including a general immigration crackdown.

They're hopping mad this guy has run off after seeing what he did in the video.

806,000+ Views, 6,000+ shares. It's not going away.

Anyone know who this was or where he has gone? If this was your relative that got smashed you'd be mad too.

https://www.facebook.com/ceclip/videos/ ... o_guests=0

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/%E0%B9 ... 2451493080
Attachments
15128620_1188304187891500_1286441094_n.jpg
15058579_1188304207891498_1554865059_n.jpg

vlad
udonmap.com

Re: Hit & Run @ Ring Road: Foreigner Escaped / Wanted

Post by vlad » November 18, 2016, 2:06 am

Ok i looked at the Vid a few times to me it looks like he indicated to turn left but the bikes that flew up the inside left either didn't notice the car was turning or ignored it as they were not riding slow.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 18, 2016, 2:27 am

vlad wrote:Ok i looked at the Vid a few times to me it looks like he indicated to turn left but the bikes that flew up the inside left either didn't notice the car was turning or ignored it as they were not riding slow.
That's just outright foolish. Must be a mate of his.

They could not see the vehicle because he stopped suddenly after running the red light to make an escape. The vehicle in back of him had no choice but to brake. Therefore the view of the turning vehicle was obscured.

You are blaming the victims. If it were your kids would you say they "flew up the inside?" Do you view this as an "us and them" competition? They were normal people driving in a normal way.

In reality the driver was driving recklessly, ran the red light, hit multiple motorbike drivers, and ran from the scene, dropped off his friends car without telling him what happened, opening that friend to the wrath of locals, police investigation, etc, and is likely attempting to flee Udon and / or Thailand.

He should have stopped and dealt with the consequences.

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » November 18, 2016, 3:16 am

vlad wrote:Ok i looked at the Vid a few times to me it looks like he indicated to turn left but the bikes that flew up the inside left either didn't notice the car was turning or ignored it as they were not riding slow.
that's exactly what it looks like to me also . has his turn signal on , is very slowly attempting to negotiate the turn ,

and the speeding motorbikes driving on the shoulder refuse to slow down , let's call back the lynch mob 8-[

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » November 18, 2016, 3:52 am

yes quick to blame the falang cali, prob want the cash for repairs. Thai road sense none If a falang crashed into the car who would get the blame ??

cali4995
udonmap.com

Post by cali4995 » November 18, 2016, 4:05 am

judging from the volume of traffic , it looks like near 8am or 4pm in the afternoon . everyone in the video is

driving like an absolute lunatic . no ability to stop or anticipate any conditions . could have been anyone #-o
Last edited by cali4995 on November 18, 2016, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » November 18, 2016, 4:11 am

The car with the dashcam must obscure the view somewhat. The Honda driver seems to have a change of heart. His positioning is wrong and he should be more left ALSO that's what a door mirror is for.

Also on the ring road if I'm pulling into Ngee Soon look forward for motorcycles coming wrong side AND check left door mirror for motorcycles from behind that may not even see your indicator.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » November 18, 2016, 6:05 am

So once that owner's Thai wife saw the clips and the mounting risks, she advised her husband to report to the police immediately. They reported that the "friend" who had borrowed the car did a runner, to where they don't know.

see the farang/wife used the usual Thai playbook, see/hear/know nothing!!!!

can't really tell the percent of tinting on the car windows from the pics, but expect even the sloppy cops here in Udon should be able to get a witness (3rd party hopefully, as this is Thailand) to id the driver.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 18, 2016, 7:50 am

If the owner posted a picture of the ' Friend ' then maybe we would have chance of helping.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 18, 2016, 8:47 am

just an opinion , he was indicating and manovering slowly albeit hesitantly , Undertaking is illegal in my country , because of the accidents it causes , BUT TIT , i had a relative ( Thai) exactly the same senario , he had to foot the hospital bills etc for the 3 boys who were racing up the inside , not to long ago , so maybe it's law in Thailand ???

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » November 18, 2016, 9:07 am

2. Overtaking and Passing
Section 44 (500B)
A driver who wishes to overtake or pass another vehicle in the roadway with no traffic lane mark shall use sound signals loud enough to let the driver who is driving the vehicle in front know of his intention and, after the driver of the vehicle in front gives a responding signal pursuant to Section 37 c. or Section 38 c.(left blinker or corresponding hand signal), may proceed to overtake.
[When overtaking, the driver shall overtake from the right side, keep safe distance, and return to the left-hand side lane promptly.]
Section 45 (400-1000B)
[No driver shall overtake another vehicle from the left-side unless:
a. the vehicle to be overtaken is making a right turn or has given a signal that he is going to make a right turn
b. the roadway is arranged with two or more traffic lanes in the same direction.]

Title 9: Accidents
Section 78 (2000B / one-month imprisonment)
[Any person who drives a vehicle and causes damage to other person or other person's property, be it his fault or not, shall stop the vehicle and give appropriate assistance, and immediately report to the competent officer who is on duty near to the scene, and leave the information of his full name, address and the vehicle registration number with the injured person.
In the event that the driver escapes or does not report himself to the competent officer at the scene of the accident, it shall be presumed that he is the offender and the competent officer shall have the power to seize the vehicle driven by the driver who has escaped or has failed to report the accident until the case receives the final judgment or the driver is found.
http://www.gt-rider.com/se-asia-motorcy ... -com.9367/
UFF DA!

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » November 18, 2016, 9:19 am

the farang driving should of pulled to the side of the road long before he wanted to turn, blocking bikes from cutting to his left, signaling ahead of time

you gotta block these people, let them know what you're going to do, then make your turn

Ive dont that many times and the bikes have to go around you on your right side without problems or they are forced to go slow behind you

stupidass dont know how to drive in thailand!

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 18, 2016, 9:35 am

Hit and run.

Illegal, Cowardly

Know the full story folks, he RAN A RED LIGHT just beforehand, this wasn't just some dummy who couldn't turn properly.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 18, 2016, 9:59 am

Have to learn to drive like a Thai here. When making a left turn, drive on the left shoulder before turning, forcing motorbikes to veer to the right so they may be struck by other vehicles. His only actual violation was doing a runner. That said, something similar happened to my wife while driving our truck. There was no citation issued by the police and the insurance took care of all medical bills and "compensation" for the biker and repair of our truck. I have seen numerous near accidents because of motorbikes using the shoulder as a traffic lane which it is not. One of the biggest problems with driving in Thailand is there are different, unwritten rules for motorbikes which are learned at an early age and carried over when drivers graduate to cars and trucks.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » November 18, 2016, 10:07 am

jimjay wrote:Hit and run.

Illegal, Cowardly

Know the full story folks, he RAN A RED LIGHT just beforehand, this wasn't just some dummy who couldn't turn properly.
I can't see a red light in the video. Can anyone else or is it just me?

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » November 18, 2016, 10:12 am

His signal seemed to have stopped at the point of turning. Road positioning for the turn all wrong and a lack of awareness of whats behind. You should always do a life saver before commiting to a turn.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2016, 10:48 am

Not sure what vid you are watching jimjay (quite obviously NOT the one posted on here) .

Where is the bit where "HE RAN A RED LIGHT" or is that just hearsay?

Even if he did, "RUN A RED LIGHT", that event and the accident are two separate incidents.

As for the accident HE WAS BRAKING, so even if he was not indicating or turning, NOBODY should be overtaking (let alone UNDERTAKING) as they have NO IDEA who or what the reason is that he is braking.

Having had to part pull out of the orig maneuver due to the guy in white shirt undertaking at the last moment. his car is positioned so as the wing mirror would not be showing the hard shoulder.

Agreed you have to block the inside before turning, but that is something you only learn with time and experience of driving here, not something you should be doing as a normal driver.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 18, 2016, 10:50 am

tutone wrote:
jimjay wrote:Hit and run.

Illegal, Cowardly

I can't see a red light in the video. Can anyone else or is it just me?
The red light run and associated preceding violations not in the video, but is noted in the Thai language coverage, which is widespread.

Interesting though how dismissive everyone is as to his pulling a runner, there's no justifying it, much as many here try to focus on blaming the victims.
Last edited by jimjay on November 18, 2016, 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 18, 2016, 10:58 am

HEARSAY then ....... and more than likely embellished to suit the report
Last edited by stattointhailand on November 18, 2016, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 18, 2016, 11:00 am

stattointhailand wrote:HERESAY then ....... and mkore than likely embellished to suit the report
Yeah Andy not hearsay that he pulled a runner though. A coward is a coward, real people laid up in hospital over this let's hope they catch the bast*** .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”