New Rules For Bars.

General Udon Thani topics only!
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: New Rules For Bars.

Post by BobHelm » December 31, 2017, 7:15 pm

Out & about this afternoon - can't manage midnight anymore.. :D
Bars who are not willing to 'risk it' certainly refused to serve new customers drinks between 2 & 5. However they were equally happy to serve drinks that had already been paid for before 2pm afer that hour.
Other establishments were happy to serve anyone no matter what time they turned up in the afternoon.
I guess it is up to the owner/manager to decide on a strategy that suits their business.

As I said before & will now say again, it is all a nonsense & does nothing to establish Thailand as a place I would ever advise a family member or friend to visit..

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » January 1, 2018, 8:18 am

it is an easy one ,if they apply/enforce the basic law rule not selling alcohol to people under the age of 18 , they would not need some other ridiculous rules ...., some basic laws are more than enough if they are properly enforced...
not only applicable on alcohol use ...and yes i also had a beer 3pm last time , some bars serve , some not ...
ridiculous rule not serving/selling alcohol between 2-5pm... invented by a moron ... ;)

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 1, 2018, 9:21 am

All the bar owners should get together and all go to the police as a united group, how can a bar survive from 5pm to midnight, crazy rule.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » January 1, 2018, 9:36 am

Fatbob

Police might use the tragic fatality some months ago, as the perfect excuse to maintain the status quo.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 1, 2018, 9:40 am

wazza wrote:
January 1, 2018, 9:36 am
Fatbob

Police might use the tragic fatality some months ago, as the perfect excuse to maintain the status quo.
I thought he was on medication, were talking bars not pharmacy's....

Raoul Duke
udonmap.com

Post by Raoul Duke » January 1, 2018, 11:41 am

This will blow over.We have seen this many times before.I can't see them continuing the enforcement into the New a Year(Thai).
You may want to implement a strategy up until Songkran.Beyond that it will be back to normal.
Or maybe go sober for four months?
Yeah.....Nah!
Voiceover for hire.

blade450x
udonmap.com

Post by blade450x » January 1, 2018, 12:45 pm

I have heard the same from good sources. It is the second time now as they got a letter a few months back along with Light house which changed to a restaurant after. Looks like City lodge could be shut for a while :-(
Tawang Daeng was allowed to open until 04:00 last night
PAPA Z wrote:
December 30, 2017, 7:36 pm
Got it from a good source that Bangkok police (undercover units) were in City Lodge a few nights ago after hours and observed underage patrons being served alcohol. Long story short, they’ve lost their license for 5 years, paid a huge fine, and will be shut down after the first of the year. Doesn’t Tawang Daeng do the same thing?
Wonder why they’re not getting shut down?

Also, Nok’s place (lady that sells alcohol on Soi Sampan), was also visited by UC police at 3:00a.m. while her store rollers were down and was asked to sell one bottle of beer. She did, and they raided her store and made her pay a B3,000 fine as well.

Getting nasty out there...
Z

seagulls
udonmap.com

Post by seagulls » January 2, 2018, 1:48 pm

Same situation in Chiang Mai .I was there last week and the normally busy bars on Loi Kroh
were very quiet . In the past when I lived up there I had played music with both Farang and
Thai Musicians but didnt see a single farang risking playing at any of the Bars or restaurants.
The most popular spot for farang musicians was 'The Guitarman" on Loi Kroh which is now
closed .I played there the week before it was raided and the Band which was comprised of
primarily farang musicians were arrested . Many other popular venues there have since closed
because of the 'crackdown" up there so it seems it is now arriving here in Udon . I am on a
retirement visa so it is safer for me to play in my home Music room rather than playing out
and being arrested (or worse)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 6, 2018, 12:50 pm

The 'no drinks between 2 pm. & 5 pm.' rule seems to have descended into total chaos.
Although, thankfully, the move seems to be away from this silliness being enforced.

It is still a bit of a lottery as to whom is still serving & to who.. :D
Some places seems to ignore the rule completely.
Some places seem to bend over backwards to ensure that those already drinking in their establishment at 2 pm. can continue after that hour, but newcomers will be refused.
Some places won't serve, full stop.

I guess we will see another 'crack down' come the Thai New Year again...

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » January 7, 2018, 6:54 pm

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Ahhh, paradise.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » January 9, 2018, 10:18 pm

One might just come to the conclusion that dear leader would like all the farang bars to close and farangs go back to their home countries. Of course the Chinese who don't spend anything are welcome.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 10, 2018, 1:40 pm

sgt wrote:
January 9, 2018, 10:18 pm
One might just come to the conclusion that dear leader would like all the farang bars to close and farangs go back to their home countries. Of course the Chinese who don't spend anything are welcome.
And that has nothing to do with the fact that farang business leaders are more reluctant to use brown paper bags for their deals.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 17, 2018, 2:09 pm

Well the no alcohol sales rule between 14:00 & 17:00 finally seems to have relapsed back to being totally ignored by bars in Udon. it has taken its time, but the final couple of bars who were applying the rules have reverted back to, carefully,
ignoring it.

The enforcement, along with the absolute removal of adverts for alcoholic beverages, has left a few, interesting & amusing, remnants though.

Mr Beer in the eating area of the Plaza has been renamed The Meeting Bar, along with new signage showing coffee & soft drinks only.
It is about 50-50 as to if your drinking glass will contain the name of a locally brewed beer, or a length of black tape. I expect this ratio to decrease on black tape as glass washing procedures improve.
UD Town remains alcohol free in the afternoon.
Meanwhile Sing, Chang et al continue National TV adverts for their alcoholic products under the premise that they are selling soda or bottled water..

Wait & see what happens at Songkran I guess... :D

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 17, 2018, 2:27 pm

<< UD Town remains alcohol free in the afternoon. >> I can t say for now but about 10 days ago, between 15:00 and 16:00..
At UD town patrons were enjoying a cold one and some foreigners had a whiskey bottle on the table.
Shops across the street from Kavin Buri had customers savouring their CHANG..
At a well know shop facing the bus station ... same situation..
It made me wonder why these establishments were openly defying the law... were they? just maybe they are exempted due to the type of license they have.

Big boss
udonmap.com

Post by Big boss » February 17, 2018, 6:03 pm

My bar had everything in place license for alcohol
Music etc...
My staff only worked the hours they where paid for
What they did and who they went with was there
Choice after 12:00 pm not before ...
We had people!!!! one week saying you could open
Until 3 am
But I was happy to close 12 pm
2 weeks later different people !!! Come in say no we
Happy for you to drink until 12 pm
Then start of New year myself and other business
In Udon get fine and told the hours of opening to
Sell alcohol between 11 am until 2 pm and 5 pm
Until 12 pm that's the LAW IN THAILAND!!!!
So I stuck by the law !!!!
Cut a long story short took staff on planed holiday
To PATTAYA they seem to have different opening
Hours down there !!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 17, 2018, 6:41 pm

"Cut a long story short took staff on planed holiday
To PATTAYA they seem to have different opening
Hours down there !!!!!"

Just a hunch and no actual evidence, but could that possibly have anything to do with the fact that Udon is not a seaside tourist resort and Pattaya is :roll:

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » February 17, 2018, 7:11 pm

Chiang Mai and Udon seem to be the only area's enforcing the 2pm to 5pm closing, the rest of Thailand is business as usual.... Could it be red shirt related???

Big boss
udonmap.com

Post by Big boss » February 17, 2018, 7:18 pm

Thai law for all of Thai
Attachments
IMG_1554.JPG

Big boss
udonmap.com

Post by Big boss » February 17, 2018, 7:20 pm

Just seems unfair for business in Udon and your right
Chiang mai same thank you for your comment....
Fatbob .....

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 17, 2018, 7:38 pm

Big boss wrote:
February 17, 2018, 7:18 pm
Thai law for all of Thai

Just a passing thought BB .......... is there not also a B50,000 fine for posting pictures of people consuming or advertising the consumption of alcohol on social media :-$ :lol: nice nail varnish btw :lol:

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”