Re: Supermarket prices out of control

Post by tamada » June 4, 2020, 10:03 pm

mickojak wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:00 pm
dunroaming wrote:
June 4, 2020, 6:56 pm
Seems an outbreak of something has restricted the availability
So subtle. :lol: \:D/
The impact of African swine fever in other SE Asian nations was having a big impact before Covid-19 came along.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48785965

"China reported a swine fever outbreak in August 2018... Pork prices rose by 29.3% in the year to May (2019), according to government figures, and could rise even higher."

I think Thailand has dodged that bullet as well but demand, especially for export, would hike the local prices.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 4, 2020, 10:26 pm

tamada wrote:
June 4, 2020, 10:03 pm
mickojak wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:00 pm
dunroaming wrote:
Seems an outbreak of something has restricted the availability
So subtle. :lol: \:D/
The impact of African swine fever in other SE Asian nations was having a big impact before Covid-19 came along.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48785965

"China reported a swine fever outbreak in August 2018... Pork prices rose by 29.3% in the year to May (2019), according to government figures, and could rise even higher."

I think Thailand has dodged that bullet as well but demand, especially for export, would hike the local prices.
The price peaked at about 164 baht per kilo during the swine fever outbreak in China, we use a lot of pork and the Mrs considered giving up working because it was so high.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » June 4, 2020, 10:49 pm

Well I’ve had a couple of beers and off to bed.
Cannot believe grown men discussing the prices of Thai grocery goods.
Do you not have a wife to go to the shops and buy what ever you need.
My old man and all his Aussie mates I drank with in the pubs would be turning in their grave if he heard me talking about supermarket prices publicly.
Came back from macro today and didn’t look at any prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » June 4, 2020, 11:02 pm

And my old man and his mates down the pub wouldn't talk about the algae content in the rain.

Whatever floats your boat eh.

Sent from my ArsePhone using Bolloxtalk.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2020, 11:23 pm

My old man & his mates wouldnt waste valuable drinking time talking (last orders was 22:50 in them days)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 5, 2020, 12:02 am

daithic wrote:
June 4, 2020, 9:11 pm

The UK is also a market-driven system ie capitalism and yet
Thailand and the UK are 2 different markets.

Just about any drongo knows that.
Last edited by jackspratt on June 5, 2020, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 5, 2020, 6:06 am

nothing wrong with being price conscious... , before in my working day's i was less conscious as money came in every day ,leaving all of it to my wife would not be ideal as Thais people are not price conscious at all,and we have our monthly budget ....
also i have never spend any money drinking in pubs or bars with my mates , and do not worry what others think of me or my life style , as along as i am happy and more important stay happy...we are all different ... ;)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 5, 2020, 6:10 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 11:23 pm
My old man & his mates wouldnt waste valuable drinking time talking (last orders was 22:50 in them days)
I’m trying to think back Stats, wasn’t it 10.20 Sunday to Thursday and 10.50 on a Friday and Saturday? Mum’s pub on the Roman Road had a strange license, she could open really early hours of the morning because of the market but I don’t think she ever did.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2020, 7:42 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 9:42 pm
Blimey that means the heart/liver and other ORGANS are bloomin' expensive
Not so. Haggis is still the same price as before.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 5, 2020, 9:03 am

kopkei wrote:
June 5, 2020, 6:06 am
nothing wrong with being price conscious... , before in my working day's i was less conscious as money came in every day ,leaving all of it to my wife would not be ideal as Thais people are not price conscious at all,and we have our monthly budget ....
also i have never spend any money drinking in pubs or bars with my mates , and do not worry what others think of me or my life style , as along as i am happy and more important stay happy...we are all different ... ;)
I agree with you . If we left the budgets to the wives , there would be the biggest concrete lions outside the gate and **** all in the fridge .
Its taken me the best part of sixteen years to teach the Mrs how to budget , but she is getting there , and now manages to save money .
My first lesson to her amazement was yes , you may want something , but do you need it ?
If you dont fit into the farang demagraphic of being a beer swilling macho man , who likes to wear a wife beater to show of your tatts , and molests every bar girl he comes into contact with , then you will be labeled as either gay , or weird .
Both by members on this forum and your average Thai .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 5, 2020, 10:04 am

tamada wrote:
June 5, 2020, 7:42 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 4, 2020, 9:42 pm
Blimey that means the heart/liver and other ORGANS are bloomin' expensive
Not so. Haggis is still the same price as before.
You mean you actually have to pay money for haggis? :shock:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 5, 2020, 10:49 am

Some said can,t believe grown men discussing prices, albeit the OP was talking about Chocolate which comes from the Cocao Berry which is having problems as I understand it, but generally prices are far cheaper than in the Uk and I suspect many other countries as is the Basic needs, Gas, water, electric . So discussing prices is rather silly in my book, if I look at something and I am not happy with the price, guess what I do not buy it, it is really rather simple . Not having a spendthrift partner ( none actually ) then I do not have to appease anyone at anytime. But I find this conversation silly bordering on ridiculous

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 5, 2020, 10:50 am

daithic wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:15 pm
Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 4, 2020, 6:04 pm
Or if you have a problem to afford a few extra Baht pack your bags and go elsewhere!
Ah, the mother of all arguments to anyone who makes the slightest complaint about anything here. Well done, sir!
I must give in to your intellectual prowess and hide my head in shame at being so intrepid as to poke my toe out of the rose-tinted glasses tent.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> :-" :-" :-"

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 5, 2020, 12:14 pm

vincemunday wrote:
June 4, 2020, 9:19 pm
dunroaming wrote:
In Big C pork fillet has increased from 180 baht a kilo to 340 baht, that's a huge difference but didn't stop me buying it. Seems an outbreak of something has restricted the availability
You've most likely bought the organic pork, regular pork is only 130ish per kilo
Vince will have to look again maybe your right, it was on the counter where they serve you not the self service bins. I thought it was the premium select cuts but maybe your right and organic - Never mind was lovely anyway

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 5, 2020, 1:14 pm

Well KP, not everyone on UM lives the life of perfect bliss as the solitary man, so when it comes to shopping for what we want, most of those with 'ties that bind' tend to rely on doing it themselves.

So please, please just let us wander through the aisles and keep sharing bargains and beartraps.

Jog on.

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Post by Sateeb » June 5, 2020, 1:33 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
June 5, 2020, 10:49 am
Some said can,t believe grown men discussing prices, albeit the OP was talking about Chocolate which comes from the Cocao Berry which is having problems as I understand it, but generally prices are far cheaper than in the Uk and I suspect many other countries as is the Basic needs, Gas, water, electric . So discussing prices is rather silly in my book, if I look at something and I am not happy with the price, guess what I do not buy it, it is really rather simple . Not having a spendthrift partner ( none actually ) then I do not have to appease anyone at anytime. But I find this conversation silly bordering on ridiculous
And you still found time to comment on it.. Well done you. I think you'll find that's the idea of a forum to discuss whatever it is you want to discuss. As is said ad nauseum, if you don't want to read it then move on... There is nothing to see here.

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » June 6, 2020, 10:53 am

Well said Sateeb. Khun Paul I find you arrogant, obnoxious and a self rightous prig. Am I being silly and ridiculous for saying that.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 6, 2020, 11:47 am

KP
HAS SPOKEN!!!!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 6, 2020, 3:33 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:57 pm
daithic wrote:
June 4, 2020, 7:15 pm
Ah, the mother of all arguments to anyone who makes the slightest complaint about anything here. Well done, sir!
I must give in to your intellectual prowess and hide my head in shame at being so intrepid as to poke my toe out of the rose-tinted glasses tent.
Doesn't Thailand's economy (at least notionally) operate under a market-driven system ie capitalism?

Would you like to see that change, and price controls introduced throughout the economy?
Jack, you can't debate with the economically naive, emotionally driven, idiots on this site! Unlike we self funded retirees they're flat out trying to make their government pension/handouts work!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 6, 2020, 4:25 pm

That'd be nice, i get no pension from the government for another 7 years yet and alas no handouts either, I feel cheated.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”