tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by tamada » January 25, 2020, 6:19 am

AlexO wrote:
January 24, 2020, 6:14 pm
tamada wrote:
January 23, 2020, 9:29 pm
^ Where are the unicorns when you really need them?
Is there any harm in trying Tam. Sometimes these things actually work. Plus Boris seems to be someone who listens (I know I might be delusional) so what's the harm. Its not like we are all so busy we cannot afford the time.
Maybe not but the chosen medium is FB so right from the get-go I think that disenfranchises a not inconsiderable chunk of the electorate. FB never had much traction with the older (less educated Brexiteer) demographic but more importantly, I recall reading that FB's share of the Gen Y & Z, the youngest possible voters that the likes of the SNP tried to leverage, is down as they are shying away from FB in favor of other, less encumbered social media platforms.

How about the elected MP's local 'surgeries'? Does this entail traipsing to a local village hall or central school of a cold and wet evening? Or are they the one-on-one, confidential events like the name surgery suggests? Maybe some of those are already being hosted on FB?

I think Boris is the master at appearing to listen and behind that sometimes piercing, attentive look when listening intently to a question, I wonder if he's really taking it all in or simply lining up the stock response based on the general thrust of the question while the rest of the brain is thinking about dinner, did he leave the gas on or if his girlfriend is going on the rag soon.
Last edited by tamada on January 25, 2020, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Frozen Pensions for UK Pensioners

Post by Khun Paul » January 25, 2020, 7:42 am

It would appear HM Govt has moved on the issue reference updating pensions Post Brexit after the 3 year envelope of those residing in most EU countries, however no mention of the 550k personnel residing in those countries not as yet receiving the update ( increases ) .
I know one hopes Politicians will listen, sadly I believe the Bean Counters hold more sway , especially to those of uhs who continue to PAY UK income tax because they are in receipt of a Govt Pension , those who P{AY NO UK income Tax I must say why should you get the increase, but if you do pay, like me probably irked and really p***ed off that others get this and that for free and in part your paying for it .

We have our hopes raised by Court cases, both in the UK and the EU, as yet to no avail, MPs from all sides vowing to deal with this injustice as yet still nothing .
We see friends here struggling because of the bad exchange rate plus poor pensions that have not kept up due to this situation , hopefully the former will improve as there seems no likelihood of the latter being adjusted anytime soon .

It is a sad state of affairs but as with a must publicised Veterans Railcard being brought out in the UK, a small step to really recognise Veterans ( although in honesty you can get the same by forward planning your travel movements ) . One day some Bean counter will really work out just how much we are saving the UK Govt by NOT living there at all, regarding benefits, Old Age discounts, free medical etc, but that involves thinking outside the box.
Hope is the only thing we have , might be mis-placed but it is the only thing we have better than no hope I say. It may change …………..someday !

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”