One year(marriage) in Savanakhet

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: One year(marriage) in Savanakhet

Post by tamada » February 13, 2019, 2:46 pm

747man wrote:
February 13, 2019, 11:32 am
Yes I Can Do that ( I Have LOADS of Spare time Today ) :shock: :shock: , So Here Goes.......

Sunday 10th February....Left Nong Khai ( Home ) in my 4x4 at 09.00 hrs....
....Route,Via Udon Thani, Sakon Nakon,Sawang Dan Din to Mukdahan Arrived at 13.45hrs,Check In HOP-INN Hotel 520 Baht ( Pre-Booked on Agoda.com .....Shower, then walked around Indo Chine Market ( Has Same Old Tat as the Nong Khai one !!!! ) Had a bit of Dinner there in a Vietnamese Shop,Drove back to Hotel.....Bedtime....22.00hrs

Monday 11th Feb. Up at 07.00hrs Free Coffee in Hop-Inn Reception Area :lol: :lol: ,Drove to Friendship Bridge 2,Cleared Thai Immigration,Bus to Laos Side of Bridge 50 Baht, Through Laos Immigration 35 US $...Minibus to Thai Consulate ( 7/8 Mins 100 Baht ) Put Application in ( About 40 People in front of me,So took about an hour to process,You Submit ALL The Documents ( ORIGINAL Marriage Certificate + COPY,Copies of Blue Housebook + Wife's Thai ID Card ( BOTH Signed by Her ) Copy of Information page from you're Passport + Of Course you're Passport as well + 5,000 Baht Visa Fee )I Also put my YELLOW Book + Copy in..... :-" :-" They will check everything whilst you are at the window then ask you for the 5,000 Baht,They will give you a Numbered Ticket to produce the next day when picking up Passport with VISA Included( DO NOT LOSE THIS ) & Tell you come back tomorrow At 14.00hrs ( 2.00pm ) Tuk Tuk to Aura Residence Hotel 700 Baht ( Agoda.com ) He will negotiate to pick you up for the return trip the next afternoon,He'll wait at Consulate & take you onto the Friendship Bridge for the return Crossing by Bus ( 50 Baht )

Tuesday 12th Feb...Tuk-TUK Picked us up & took us back to Consulate The CONSULATE Opens at EXACTLY 2.00pm,You join the Queue ( NO Numbers are called just follow the line ) Give You're Ticket in at the window, They will ask you're name BEFORE They hand over you're Passport,You MUST Check IF They have issued the CORRECT Visa to You ( IMPORTANT )....Tuk-Tuk Back to Bridge ( Pay him what You agreed on I Agreed 400 Baht )....Cleared Laos Immigration,Boarded Bus ( 50 Baht ) Back on Thai Soil at 15.10hrs Cleared Thai Immigration Stamped in for 90 Days \:D/ \:D/ ....Walked back to my Vehicle which I'd parked in the SMALL " Free " Car Park ( THAT Is the ONLY Thing that is " FREE !!!!!! )....Departed Mukdahan approx 15.20hrs Via SAME Route back to Home in Nong-Khai Arrived at 19.50 hrs LOTS Of NUMBNUTS Driving Today )....A Little Bit Knackered to say the least !!
Total ROUND Trip Distance 760 Kilos, Fuel Cost 1700 Baht.....My 18 Year Old 4x4 Ran like a DREAM....
Excellent post, thanks!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 13, 2019, 2:49 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
February 13, 2019, 1:27 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 13, 2019, 7:18 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
February 12, 2019, 11:24 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but you still have to leave the country every 90 days ??
You do, though each entry can be extended for 60 days to "visit your wife"
I was told by Immigration in Udon, that I could only extend the entry ONCE a year due to Marriage, at a cost of 1900 baht.
The immigration rule is that an entry can be extended 1 time by 60 days to visit your wife. They could be confusing the 1 year extension with the 60 day extension, they both cost the same, though the paperwork for the 60 day extension is small and there is no financial requirement. There is no rule limiting the number of entries in a year that can be extended.

Of course Udon could be making up their own rules, and not following the main rules.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 13, 2019, 4:32 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
February 13, 2019, 2:08 pm
747man wrote:
February 13, 2019, 1:40 pm
newtovillagelife wrote:
February 13, 2019, 1:27 pm
February 13, 2019, 7:18 am
newtovillagelife wrote:
February 12, 2019, 11:24 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but you still have to leave the country every 90 days ??
You do, though each entry can be extended for 60 days to "visit your wife"
I was told by Immigration in Udon, that I could only extend the entry ONCE a year due to Marriage, at a cost of 1900 baht.
So You must've had only a SINGLE Entry Visa then.....But even with that You CAN Extend it for A Yearly Extension....( During the LAST 30 Days ) before the Actual VISA Expires....
Yes I believe it was, so can you clarify, if I get the one year multi-entry and extend each time, for 60 days, I only have to leave the country 3 times, as opposed to 4 times if I leave every 90 days. This would save a little cash and a page of my passport taken up with the pesky Loas visa, and give me a total of 15 months on the one year visa. Thanks in advance.
IF You get The One Year Multi Entry ( ONLY Available in Savannakhet ) You Can do it that way OR If you Leave on the LAST Day of the Visa ( 4th Time )WITHOUT Extending the last entry ( Permission to stay ) YOU Can get 15 Months out of it.....If You just Turn around on the Laos Side & Come back into Thailand Before Midnight on that LAST Day....THIS Is the CHEAPEST Option,If Like Me " Money is Tight !!!!! )

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 13, 2019, 4:37 pm

Sometimewoodworker Said.....Of course Udon could be making up their own rules, and not following the main rules.

Nail on the head,Springs to Mind Mate......

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 13, 2019, 4:38 pm

tamada wrote:
February 13, 2019, 2:46 pm
747man wrote:
Yes I Can Do that ( I Have LOADS of Spare time Today ) :shock: :shock: , So Here Goes.......

....Route,Via Udon Thani, Sakon Nakon,Sawang Dan Din to Mukdahan Arrived at 13.45hrs,Check In HOP-INN Hotel 520 Baht ( Pre-Booked on Agoda.com .....Shower, then walked around Indo Chine Market ( Has Same Old Tat as the Nong Khai one !!!! ) Had a bit of Dinner there in a Vietnamese Shop,Drove back to Hotel.....Bedtime....22.00hrs

Monday 11th Feb. Up at 07.00hrs Free Coffee in Hop-Inn Reception Area :lol: :lol: ,Drove to Friendship Bridge 2,Cleared Thai Immigration,Bus to Laos Side of Bridge 50 Baht, Through Laos Immigration 35 US $...Minibus to Thai Consulate ( 7/8 Mins 100 Baht ) Put Application in ( About 40 People in front of me,So took about an hour to process,You Submit ALL The Documents ( ORIGINAL Marriage Certificate + COPY,Copies of Blue Housebook + Wife's Thai ID Card ( BOTH Signed by Her ) Copy of Information page from you're Passport + Of Course you're Passport as well + 5,000 Baht Visa Fee )I Also put my YELLOW Book + Copy in..... :-" :-" They will check everything whilst you are at the window then ask you for the 5,000 Baht,They will give you a Numbered Ticket to produce the next day when picking up Passport with VISA Included( DO NOT LOSE THIS ) & Tell you come back tomorrow At 14.00hrs ( 2.00pm ) Tuk Tuk to Aura Residence Hotel 700 Baht ( Agoda.com ) He will negotiate to pick you up for the return trip the next afternoon,He'll wait at Consulate & take you onto the Friendship Bridge for the return Crossing by Bus ( 50 Baht )

Tuesday 12th Feb...Tuk-TUK Picked us up & took us back to Consulate The CONSULATE Opens at EXACTLY 2.00pm,You join the Queue ( NO Numbers are called just follow the line ) Give You're Ticket in at the window, They will ask you're name BEFORE They hand over you're Passport,You MUST Check IF They have issued the CORRECT Visa to You ( IMPORTANT )....Tuk-Tuk Back to Bridge ( Pay him what You agreed on I Agreed 400 Baht )....Cleared Laos Immigration,Boarded Bus ( 50 Baht ) Back on Thai Soil at 15.10hrs Cleared Thai Immigration Stamped in for 90 Days \:D/ \:D/ ....Walked back to my Vehicle which I'd parked in the SMALL " Free " Car Park ( THAT Is the ONLY Thing that is " FREE !!!!!! )....Departed Mukdahan approx 15.20hrs Via SAME Route back to Home in Nong-Khai Arrived at 19.50 hrs LOTS Of NUMBNUTS Driving Today )....A Little Bit Knackered to say the least !!
Total ROUND Trip Distance 760 Kilos, Fuel Cost 1700 Baht.....My 18 Year Old 4x4 Ran like a DREAM....
Excellent post, thanks!
So Mr Tam............Candidate for " Post Of The Year "...???

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 13, 2019, 4:54 pm

There is a big difference between getting a 60 day extension of a visa and a 60 extension of an extension of stay based on retirement in order the "visit a Thai wife", so I would appreciate some clarity since I may need to make use of this. I arrived in Thailand in June 2010 on a Non-Immigrant O-A visa and have now applied for and received extensions of stay based on retirement for 8 straight years. I will be using an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy for my application for another extension of stay based on Retirement this coming May. If for some reason Udon Immigration decides they will not accept the IA at that time, then I will need to put 400,000 Baht in an account and season it for two months, then switch to an extension of stay based on Marriage. In that case I will need an extra month to season the money, so if I can get that 60 stay extension to visit my Thai wife, then it can be done. I absolutely do not want to exchange my USDollars for Thai Baht at this time and put that money into an account unless I have to. So, do I qualify for that 60 day extension of an extension of stay as is talked about above?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 13, 2019, 5:09 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
February 13, 2019, 4:54 pm
There is a big difference between getting a 60 day extension of a visa and a 60 extension of an extension of stay based on retirement in order the "visit a Thai wife", so I would appreciate some clarity since I may need to make use of this. I arrived in Thailand in June 2010 on a Non-Immigrant O-A visa and have now applied for and received extensions of stay based on retirement for 8 straight years. I will be using an Income Affidavit from the US Embassy for my application for another extension of stay based on Retirement this coming May. If for some reason Udon Immigration decides they will not accept the IA at that time, then I will need to put 400,000 Baht in an account and season it for two months, then switch to an extension of stay based on Marriage. In that case I will need an extra month to season the money, so if I can get that 60 stay extension to visit my Thai wife, then it can be done. I absolutely do not want to exchange my USDollars for Thai Baht at this time and put that money into an account unless I have to. So, do I qualify for that 60 day extension of an extension of stay as is talked about above?
I agree completely . I have used 60 day extensions many times . But that is an extension on a visa , not on another extension. I am sure the best advice would come from the immigration office itself.
Good luck.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 13, 2019, 5:56 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
There is no extension of a visa, visas are never extended, only permissions to stay can be extended.
IMG_6765-2.jpeg
The only 60 day extension is one to visit your Thai wife/child.

There is no 60 day extension for retirement. The 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife/child is available 1 time only for any entry, it does not matter how long ago that entry was. As an example you could have been extending you stay annually for the last 10 years for any reason (marriage, retirement, work etc) and if you are married you can get a single 60 day extension.

That is the immigration rule. There is of course the caveat that immigration offices have been known to ignore or add to the rules.

There have been no reports of Udon immigration refusing to accept an affidavit that is less than 6 months old, so I doubt that you will have to test Udon's adherence to the rules.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 138/2557
IMG_6769-2.jpeg
IMG_6770-2.jpeg
Original Thai text of the order https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com ... 83a586aae2

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » February 13, 2019, 6:41 pm

747man wrote:
DuiDui49 wrote:
February 13, 2019, 7:51 am
747man wrote:
February 12, 2019, 9:16 pm
Udonhoward wrote:
February 6, 2019, 1:41 pm
I'm wondering if anyone has done this (a multi-entry one year based on marriage) recently? Are there are any new requirements due to all the recent changes in the immigration regs?
Just Got back From Savanakhet / Mukdahan ONE Hour ago.......NO Changes Same-Same as before..... :D :D
Godmorning and thanks for the update !

If you could fine time could you find time to make a Marriage VISA trip rundown.How you traveled,time it took,any hops that you had to go thrue,what's the rutine going there,time it took..and whatever more that would be intresting to know for us who might revert from Retirement--> Marriage VISA.

Thanks in advance 747man..Have an awsome day sir..:-)

Thank you so much for taking time to write this tripjournal for all of us to copy and paste for futher use later.So happy to hear that you can still do this if you can't show Income Letter/proof..but for how long.I'm sure Mr. Joke is going to put HIS stamp on this..;-)????

Thanks again and enyoy your new Marriage VISA..:-)

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 13, 2019, 6:50 pm

DuiDui49 wrote:
February 13, 2019, 6:41 pm
747man wrote:
DuiDui49 wrote:
February 13, 2019, 7:51 am
747man wrote:
February 12, 2019, 9:16 pm
Udonhoward wrote:
February 6, 2019, 1:41 pm
I'm wondering if anyone has done this (a multi-entry one year based on marriage) recently? Are there are any new requirements due to all the recent changes in the immigration regs?
Just Got back From Savanakhet / Mukdahan ONE Hour ago.......NO Changes Same-Same as before..... :D :D
Godmorning and thanks for the update !

If you could fine time could you find time to make a Marriage VISA trip rundown.How you traveled,time it took,any hops that you had to go thrue,what's the rutine going there,time it took..and whatever more that would be intresting to know for us who might revert from Retirement--> Marriage VISA.

Thanks in advance 747man..Have an awsome day sir..:-)

Thank you so much for taking time to write this tripjournal for all of us to copy and paste for futher use later.So happy to hear that you can still do this if you can't show Income Letter/proof..but for how long.I'm sure Mr. Joke is going to put HIS stamp on this..;-)????

Thanks again and enyoy your new Marriage VISA..:-)
Alfie, You are Welcome Mate......See I Told You I Had Loads of SPARE Time Today.....

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 13, 2019, 7:56 pm

February 13, 2019, 5:56 pm
semperfiguy wrote:
There is no extension of a visa, visas are never extended, only permissions to stay can be extended.

IMG_6765-2.jpeg

The only 60 day extension is one to visit your Thai wife/child.

There is no 60 day extension for retirement. The 60 day extension to visit your Thai wife/child is available 1 time only for any entry, it does not matter how long ago that entry was. As an example you could have been extending you stay annually for the last 10 years for any reason (marriage, retirement, work etc) and if you are married you can get a single 60 day extension.

That is the immigration rule. There is of course the caveat that immigration offices have been known to ignore or add to the rules.

There have been no reports of Udon immigration refusing to accept an affidavit that is less than 6 months old, so I doubt that you will have to test Udon's adherence to the rules.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 138/2557

IMG_6769-2.jpeg
IMG_6770-2.jpeg

Original Thai text of the order https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws.com ... 83a586aae2

Given that Udon Immigration would grant me a 60 extension to visit my wife, my 12 month extension of stay will effectively be expired in June and most likely not renewable for another 12 month extension of stay at the end of the 60 day extension. Could I then apply for a new 12 month extension of stay based on Marriage while I am still in Udon, or would I have to leave the country and apply for another Non-Immigrant O-A and then come back? This really gets complicated and I'm not even sure that the Immigration Officers would know what the heck to advise me to do. When it gets too complicated they simply tune you out and give you the ol' "no can do"!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 14, 2019, 7:39 am

semperfiguy wrote:
February 13, 2019, 7:56 pm

Given that Udon Immigration would grant me a 60 extension to visit my wife, my 12 month extension of stay will effectively be expired in June and most likely not renewable for another 12 month extension of stay at the end of the 60 day extension. Could I then apply for a new 12 month extension of stay based on Marriage while I am still in Udon, or would I have to leave the country and apply for another Non-Immigrant O-A and then come back? This really gets complicated and I'm not even sure that the Immigration Officers would know what the heck to advise me to do. When it gets too complicated they simply tune you out and give you the ol' "no can do"!
You can change the reason for an extension of stay at the time you apply.
So do simplify

1 year Retirement -> 60 day visit wife -> 1 year marriage, extensions.
Or even
1 year Retirement -> 60 day visit wife -> 1 year Retirement, extensions.

At immigration in Thailand are perfectly OK assuming you meet the requirements at the time you apply for each extension.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Also there is no need to return to the US to get a Non-OA (the only place you can get one). You can get a single entry Non-O (marriage) with proof of 400k in the bank (no seasoning required) at Vientiane or a single (or multiple) at Savannaket with no proof of funds, they all can give you an entry that can be extended.

Immigration does best answering simple questions. They don't do well with hypothetical questions and may default to "cannot " when answering them. However when the time arrives that you actually apply a previous cannot becomes of course can do, no problem

My experience over the last 30+ years living in non native English speaking countries is that (unusual/complex) hypothetical questions are always difficult for even good second language English speakers to understand. It's only when the non native English speaker actually starts thinking in English as well as speaking it that they become easier.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » February 18, 2019, 8:44 am

Thanks for the report 747man. If the exchange rate doesn't improve, this will come in handy!

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 22, 2019, 1:18 pm

Good info 747 can you add what the routine is as I'm thinking of doing a run myself very soon.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » February 22, 2019, 5:33 pm

Marcosteffano wrote:
February 22, 2019, 1:18 pm
Good info 747 can you add what the routine is as I'm thinking of doing a run myself very soon.
go to page 2 I think it is all there

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Post by Marcosteffano » February 23, 2019, 2:54 pm

RLTrader wrote:
February 22, 2019, 5:33 pm
Marcosteffano wrote:
February 22, 2019, 1:18 pm
go to page 2 I think it is all there
Thanks as I missed page two but got the drift of it all now and maybe go this Monday.i hope it goes that smooth for me and will post upon my return.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » June 1, 2019, 10:11 am

I just returned from Savannakhet, got my Non-Immigrant O based on Marriage. Almost everything went according to plan, I just followed the instructions that have been given here in the past, thanks to everyone for those!.

One minor hitch, however, you might want to take note of: Turned in my visa application on Wednesday, arrived at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet on Thursday afternoon, expecting to pick up my visa at 2:00. However, the consulate was still busy processing the morning's visa applications. They announced that they wouldn't start returning passports until 2:30.

Not a big deal, after receiving my passport, at about 2:45, we hustled across the bridge, hopped on the bus to the Muhdahan bus station. Arrived there at 3:45, just in time to miss the last bus to Udon Thani, which left at 3:30!

So, we got to spend and extra night in the wonderful city of Mukdahan. All wasn't lost, however, I did find a shop serving some Mexican food!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 1, 2019, 11:25 am

Udonhoward wrote:
June 1, 2019, 10:11 am
I just returned from Savannakhet, got my Non-Immigrant O based on Marriage. Almost everything went according to plan, I just followed the instructions that have been given here in the past, thanks to everyone for those!.

One minor hitch, however, you might want to take note of: Turned in my visa application on Wednesday, arrived at the Thai Consulate in Savannakhet on Thursday afternoon, expecting to pick up my visa at 2:00. However, the consulate was still busy processing the morning's visa applications. They announced that they wouldn't start returning passports until 2:30.

Not a big deal, after receiving my passport, at about 2:45, we hustled across the bridge, hopped on the bus to the Muhdahan bus station. Arrived there at 3:45, just in time to miss the last bus to Udon Thani, which left at 3:30!

So, we got to spend and extra night in the wonderful city of Mukdahan. All wasn't lost, however, I did find a shop serving some Mexican food!
Udonhoward, with this visa that you obtained, do you have to do a border run every 90 days now for the entire year or simply do the 90 report at Udon Immigration throughout the year? By the way, congrats on getting the visa with no difficulties.

Udonhoward
udonmap.com

Post by Udonhoward » June 1, 2019, 1:14 pm

Thanks. I am admitted to stay for 3 months (no more 90 day checkins). Within 3 months I have to do a border run, when I return I'll get another 90 days before I have to do another one. The visa is good for one year.

Fortunately a border run to Nong Khai is no big deal.

TAXIfor7/11
udonmap.com

Post by TAXIfor7/11 » June 1, 2019, 2:09 pm

Udonhoward wrote:
June 1, 2019, 1:14 pm
Thanks. I am admitted to stay for 3 months (no more 90 day checkins). Within 3 months I have to do a border run, when I return I'll get another 90 days before I have to do another one. The visa is good for one year.

Fortunately a border run to Nong Khai is no big deal.
udonhoward,you can get 15 months out of it if you cross over border a day or so before your visa expires,when you come back into thailand they give you another 3 months,making total of 15 months unless its changed?,maybe someone knows different?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”