Re: schools obsessed with uniforms

Post by AlexO » June 27, 2019, 6:49 pm

Giggle wrote:
June 21, 2019, 10:43 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 20, 2019, 8:17 pm
lahgon29 wrote:
June 20, 2019, 8:09 pm
Got my daughter an Oz passport at 1yo.she will always be able to go there after uni/school and earn good money if she's a grafter.
Until they change the rules :-$

My daughter has British passport for mostly the same reasons, but all it takes is for some loony to get into power (like Farage/Boris/Trump/Hitler) and everything can change =;
Farage/Boris/Trump and Hitler tell the grafters to get up off their lazy asses and get jobs? They have my vote.

School uniforms for students (and especially for teachers) are ridiculous unless for sports teams to tell the squads apart.
In your opinion Laughing Boy. Just look at your hated UK, all the most successful students and movers and shakers all went to good comprehensive or private schools where uniforms were manadatory. This ensured that there was no peer pressure on kids to wear the the new "this weeks fashion" and could concetrate on eduction rather than trying to emulate the American Pie series of movies.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 29, 2019, 9:28 am

Uniforms stifle identity, individuality and creativity -- mass producing cookie-cutter dullards who can't think for themselves. Leave the uniforms to bus drivers, policemen, athletic teams and soldiers where they actually serve a purpose.

If you think students can't create peer-pressure while wearing uniforms, you're an idiot. Uniforms do nothing to improve scholastic environment or academic achievement.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 29, 2019, 3:35 pm

Giggle wrote:
June 29, 2019, 9:28 am
Uniforms stifle identity, individuality and creativity -- mass producing cookie-cutter dullards who can't think for themselves.
Geeze Giggle, you cant blame all your problems just because you had to wear a school uniform
I am independently poor

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » June 30, 2019, 3:12 am

stickboy has a thing about students in tight skirts have you noticed
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » June 30, 2019, 6:45 am

'Uniforms stifle identity, individuality and creativity -- mass producing cookie-cutter dullards who can't think for themselves. Leave the uniforms to bus drivers, policemen, athletic teams and soldiers where they actually serve a purpose.'

So, Giggle, you are saying that bus drivers , policemen, athletic teams and soldiers etc are ' massed produced cookie cutter dullards etc'? [-X

I think that you have problems :shock:

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » June 30, 2019, 6:53 am

Giggle wrote:
June 29, 2019, 9:28 am
Uniforms stifle identity, individuality and creativity -- mass producing cookie-cutter dullards who can't think for themselves. Leave the uniforms to bus drivers, policemen, athletic teams and soldiers where they actually serve a purpose.

If you think students can't create peer-pressure while wearing uniforms, you're an idiot. Uniforms do nothing to improve scholastic environment or academic achievement.
Yes, you're correct in your assessment regarding peer pressure. When schools went to uniforms, I saw much more jewelry in the halls, wild hair styles and other subtle embellishments to stand apart with symbols of what they thought indicated wealth. And then there were rules to stifle that.

The uniforms don't improve scholastic achievement, but I don't think that was ever the goal. It had to do with keeping the designer clothes and latest Jordans at home and being able to identify unauthorized intruders on campus. It worked where I was teaching and coaching.

And yes, the uniforms of "bus drivers, policemen, athletic teams and soldiers" do serve a proper purpose much different than school uniforms -- which do stifle creativity, but also eliminate lots of classroom distractions.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » June 30, 2019, 10:07 am

My kids went to school both in Australia and Texas. I totally agree with Lone Star on the non-uniform schools, strangely it was footwear rather than clothes that seemed an issue. One daughter then went to a none uniform school in Sydney and it caused so many issues, they reverted to uniforms. Discipline and academic outcomes improved significantly. Of the top 10 High Schools by academic rank in Australia, every one wears a uniform. I would hazard a guess that the bottom 10 would also be uniformed as well. My school was uniformed, and is now regarded as one of the worst schools in Sydney from an overall academic and discipline point of view, but that is more a demographic issue.

My point, uniforms have no bearing on academic achievement or individuality. With two of my kids being High School teachers, I think it has a marked impact on improving discipline.
I am independently poor

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 30, 2019, 11:53 am

Bonanza wrote:
June 30, 2019, 6:45 am
So, Giggle, you are saying that bus drivers , policemen, athletic teams and soldiers etc are ' massed produced cookie cutter dullards etc'?
Nope. The uniforms of those occupation serve a purpose, and are therefore, necessary. Presumably, secondary education is complete before these adults enter the workforce.

On the other hand ...

Shoehorning malleable and inquisitive students in their formative years into lockstep rigor including prison garb and officious headmasters and administrators to alleviate "behavior" problems is a cop out, and does nobody any good.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 2, 2019, 9:06 am

Giggle wrote:
June 21, 2019, 10:43 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 20, 2019, 8:17 pm
lahgon29 wrote:
June 20, 2019, 8:09 pm

Farage/Boris/Trump and Hitler tell the grafters to get up off their lazy asses and get jobs? They have my vote.

School uniforms for students (and especially for teachers) are ridiculous unless for sports teams to tell the squads apart.
Farage - Dulwich College, School uniform compulsory
Boris - Eton, School uniform compulsory
Trump - New York Military Academy, School uniform compulsory
Hitler???? I understand he was rather fond of uniforms, particularly for Hitler Youth

Mr Troll, a lot of your self serving comments are pretty looney, but voting for Hitler? A new low even for you.
I am independently poor

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 3, 2019, 8:42 am

So was Baden-Powell ...... but that's another queer story :-$

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 4, 2019, 11:51 am

Essex wrote:
July 2, 2019, 9:06 am
Farage - Dulwich College, School uniform compulsory
Boris - Eton, School uniform compulsory
Trump - New York Military Academy, School uniform compulsory
Hitler???? I understand he was rather fond of uniforms, particularly for Hitler Youth
First -- we're talking about 3 and 4 year olds in Thailand wearing uniforms. OK maybe up through High School. Standard college kids wearing uniforms is simply absurd -- well beyond absurd.
Second -- Military prep schools are geared toward military service. Uniformity is important.
Third -- Uniforms aid nothing, often result in resentment, squeeze the individuality out of kids, and force the prison attitude upon students right at the moment when they are the most impressionable. It's no wonder all the world's brightest sparks come from the U.S. where kids are allowed to express themselves, speak their minds, exercise their free will and establish their own identity.

Yeah, put your kids in hobbles in force feed your garbage down their throats. Great way to educate. :confused:

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 4, 2019, 6:53 pm

The US has the world's brightest sparks...laughable.

Most High School graduates in the US couldn't find their bum using both hands.

Top 10 high schools in the world, US gets one in the top list. When I lived in Texas more than 60% of grads did not know states that bordered Texas, more than 50% did not know Texas had a border with Mexico.

The true classic was a sophomore sitting next to me between Dallas and Seattle, said her parents took her on a holiday in Australia. Did you go by plane or ship I asked her. "no, we drove" she replied.

Then university, I had a young guy doing part work for me while doing a part time degree at UT, he did introduction to Calculus in sophomore year, we did that in year 4 at High School in Australia, brightest sparks BS, European, British, Canadian, Kiwi, Aussie, South African, Russian, Japanese, Chinese etc are all streets ahead of no nothing, dumb arsed, self centered Americans. Dubya gets into Ivy League college with a GPA of 2.2, Aussie Prime Ministers are Rhodes Scholars!

Hilarious

https://www.crimsoneducation.org/za/blo ... gh-schools
I am independently poor

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » July 4, 2019, 11:58 pm

Sure, Essex. If I had a baht for every time some dope tried to peddle that "we drove" fable, I'd be a very rich man.

You guys need to come up with some new fiction.

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Giggle wrote:
July 4, 2019, 11:58 pm
Sure, Essex. If I had a baht for every time some dope tried to peddle that "we drove" fable, I'd be a very rich man.

You guys need to come up with some new fiction.
Not surprised it has happened to others given the appalling lack of knowledge of the rest of the world.

As for brightest.

Mathematics - USA ranked 25th in the world
Reading - 23rd in the world
Science - 22nd in the world

source https://www.infoplease.com/us/elementar ... nce-skills

There are some fine Universities in the USA and I have many fine American friends, but the population at large is not well educated, has a very weak understanding of the world at large,is increasingly isolationist, jingoistic and delusional about its capabilities.

FFS, they got the snot kicked out of them by little countries like North Vietnam, Honduras and Cuba where the US had to slink away with its tail between its legs. This has been followed by dismal failures in the Middle East, South America. Dictators like Putin, Kim Il Sung and Xi Jinping treat America with disdain.

World's brightest, utter BS
Last edited by Essex on July 5, 2019, 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am independently poor

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Sitting on a train from Glasgow to Edinburgh (for you Shermans that's in Scotland, that large piece of real estate above England) Sitting beside an American lady who was obviously a tourist and as we passed Linlithgow Palace I mentioned to her that the palace was the home of Mary Queen of Scots. (before America was invaded by the white settlers) After the usual Wow's etc she turned to me and quite loudly asked "and what part of London is this?" Deathly silence in the rail carriage except for a few muffled laughs. She must have skipped the school the day they were teaching geography. Giggle this is not fiction just a true story, sorry to disappoint you.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 5, 2019, 8:53 am

"The true classic was a sophomore sitting next to me between Dallas and Seattle, said her parents took her on a holiday in Australia. Did you go by plane or ship I asked her. "no, we drove" she replied."

Dont be toooo quick to judge Essex :-k There is probably a little ghost town in the American Outback (South or West of Boston) that is called Australia, after all they have nicked just about every other name :lol:

I went to America once ....... we went by car and ferry from Romford Essex

11americasign.jpg

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 5, 2019, 8:58 am

Essex wrote:
July 5, 2019, 8:36 am

Mathematics - USA ranked 25th in the world
Reading - 23rd in the world
Science - 22nd in the world

source https://www.infoplease.com/us/elementar ... nce-skills
Any ranking on Dunning-Kruger? :-k

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 5, 2019, 9:01 am

Numero Uno Jack
I am independently poor

Essex
udonmap.com

Post by Essex » July 5, 2019, 9:04 am

stattointhailand wrote:
July 5, 2019, 8:53 am

I went to America once ....... we went by car and ferry from Romford Essex

11americasign.jpg
Did the same but took the shortcut from Lands End
I am independently poor

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 5, 2019, 9:06 am

Speaking of uniforms . Did anyone else catch a glimpse of the Thai scouts and guides marching round some stadium , im guessing in BKK on national scout day ? Scary stuff to me . Goosestepping , shouldering sticks as substitute weapons i assumed , carrying plaques with their provinces on .
Very reminiscent of the Nazi youth marches in the 30s .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”