Roof types

General Udon Thani topics only!
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Roof types

Post by RLTrader » August 29, 2019, 3:54 pm

If I was to build again, like this type of roof. With all that steel not sure what they plan on parking on top?
Untitled.png

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Roof types

Post by Udon Map » August 29, 2019, 4:54 pm

RLTrader wrote:
August 29, 2019, 3:54 pm
If I was to build again, like this type of roof. With all that steel not sure what they plan on parking on top?
Don't the tiles crack eventually? I would have guessed that a rubber membrane roof would be better. We put one on my old condo building in the U.S. and never had a leak again.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 29, 2019, 5:17 pm

Udon Map wrote:
August 29, 2019, 4:54 pm
Don't the tiles crack eventually? I would have guessed that a rubber membrane roof would be better. We put one on my old condo building in the U.S. and never had a leak again.
Have heard of it, but not sure what a rubber membrane roof is, also not sure have here?

Will not know til tomorrow, but with all that steel, looks like they are getting ready to just put that crappy tin with maybe coating of insulation which will let go in less than a year. Then again, you will not be able to see it, but will surely hear it, when it rains. Thinking drum?

Few years back, did replace cracked tiles, think guy installing camera's saw them and told wife, so wife had him replace around 6. My thinking is that they were that way when 1st installed. Who knows.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 29, 2019, 6:00 pm

This is just my idea. If I ever build a house, a major portion of the roof would be concrete with just a few degrees of fall for water drainage. This type of roof would be used for solar panels. You would be able to walk around the panels for maintenance and ease of cleaning.Part of the roof would be peaked to pretty much hide the basically flat concrete.

About eight years ago I had a 9 X 9 meter garage/workshop built. I used the corrugated roofing panels. I think they were cement board. They seemed quite robust at the time. A couple years ago they started cracking lengthwise and leaking. I could have tried patching them but decided to replace them with steel. There is no insulation so it is a little noisy during heavy rain but I don't expect this roof to ever leak.

I think the tiles available will last a lifetime but they are very heavy and require a lot of steel work to support them. They are also prone to having small leaks that are hard to find. A steel roof may not be eye pleasing but it will be durable with no leaks. There are many long lasting colors available I thought white would be the best but decided on silver. If you don't use steel, having anyone walking on tiles will likely cause damage and leaks.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 29, 2019, 6:22 pm

RLTrader wrote:
August 29, 2019, 5:17 pm
Udon Map wrote:
August 29, 2019, 4:54 pm
Have heard of it, but not sure what a rubber membrane roof is, also not sure have here?

Will not know til tomorrow, but with all that steel, looks like they are getting ready to just put that crappy tin with maybe coating of insulation which will let go in less than a year. Then again, you will not be able to see it, but will surely hear it, when it rains. Thinking drum?

Few years back, did replace cracked tiles, think guy installing camera's saw them and told wife, so wife had him replace around 6. My thinking is that they were that way when 1st installed. Who knows.

We've known many folks who had tile roofs on their house (here) and had problems with leaks. When we initially built our house, we used those long cement panels......mistake.......and had them replaced with a rolled steel roof with insulation on the underside of the roof panels. Best thing we did for the house. We also have ceiling insulation batts, and we've never been bothered by the sound of the rain. There's a world of difference between the tin roofs of old and the new rolled steel roofs. Ours has been up for over 10 years....no signs of rust and no worries about leaks or wind.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 29, 2019, 6:30 pm

Looked into what I call a composite material, weight was a little heavier then the tin. Was thinking that was what they were going to use. Like I said not sure what they are going to use. Someone did 3 houses with the composite material to my right a year or so ago, but sloped like tile roof. Was going to replace said tin for a car park, but have not found anyone to do it and stopped looking. During heavy rain that car park roof is maybe twice a heavy rock band. During heavy rain I stay away from that side of house. 8)

as for tile, been up there for maybe 10+ years and never a leak or problem.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 29, 2019, 8:26 pm

Ceramic tiles are the way to go. Sure they're expensive, and heavy, but they'll last longer than we will, won't wear down, and look great.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 30, 2019, 10:40 am

Well should have gotten a picture as they hauled it up, but didn't. Seems to be tin (rolled steel :lol: ) glued to about 2 cm form, flat on the under side and one edge for overlap. New stuff ? Guess it just might stay together.
20190830_103247.jpg
Well be interesting to see if un-attached material will stay as wind and rain come. Not a good day to be doing a roof.

OOPS
Dam now the sun is out, go figure.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 30, 2019, 11:07 am

When they installed my rolled steel roof on the garage, I thought he was going to wear out his drill. Those self tapping metal screws are great. The wind will never take off that roof.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 30, 2019, 11:11 am

glalt wrote:
August 30, 2019, 11:07 am
When they installed my rolled steel roof on the garage, I thought he was going to wear out his drill. Those self tapping metal screws are great. The wind will never take off that roof.
Well they have not screwed anything yet. Stopped work for now it seems.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » August 30, 2019, 2:34 pm

Hmm, wee, wee, rup, rup. Didn't sound like this guy had a problem, maybe different material, or better self tap screws or drill.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”