At Last the Truth is Out !! NOT TAT Figures !!

General Udon Thani topics only!
747man
udonmap.com

At Last the Truth is Out !! NOT TAT Figures !!

Post by 747man » November 21, 2019, 10:52 am

Meanwhile, airlines operating in Thailand say they are being battered by a weak economy and the baht’s strength, which is reducing international tourist arrivals

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: At Last the Truth is Out !! NOT TAT Figures !!

Post by Khun Paul » November 22, 2019, 7:05 am

No-one I know ever believes TAT figures especially years ago it was proven they were also including those that went out and came back on their Visa runs .

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 22, 2019, 9:04 am

"Meanwhile, airlines operating in Thailand say they are being battered by a weak economy and the baht’s strength, which is reducing international tourist arrivals"

I dont see how a weak economy would deter Tourism. I for one never looked at a countries economy before becoming a tourist.
As for the baht's strength this is becoming a lame excuse, something to hide behind. If Thailand were concerned about this for sure action would be taken.
Also take a look at hotel room prices, restaurant prices through out Thailand and compare to othter countries You can still get a good hotel in Bangkok or 1200THB while in London a cheap hotel is 1600THB to 4,000THB and food outside certainly isnt cheap.
Scooter Rental Udon 1650THB per week London 3320THB per week

Many reasons deter Tourism other than a strong Baht. Other countries offer different attractions, such as Cansinos, entertainment (not just some girl winding up and down a pole), international events (Motorcar racing, bike racing, horse and dog racing, corporate dollars available for conventions etc)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » November 22, 2019, 9:16 am

Sorry DooDoo, did not see anything in 747man's statement about weak economy that refered to tourism. A weak economy will effect in country vacations etc. which can translate to less use of airlines.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 22, 2019, 9:25 am

Sorry Stan "airlines operating in Thailand say" not 747 statement

"say they are being battered by a weak economy and the baht’s strength, which is reducing international tourist arrivals"

?????
Reduced International tourism arrivals are being battered due to a weak economy and the baht's strength

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 22, 2019, 10:07 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 22, 2019, 9:04 am
"Meanwhile, airlines operating in Thailand say they are being battered by a weak economy and the baht’s strength, which is reducing international tourist arrivals"

I dont see how a weak economy would deter Tourism. I for one never looked at a countries economy before becoming a tourist.
As for the baht's strength this is becoming a lame excuse, something to hide behind. If Thailand were concerned about this for sure action would be taken.
Also take a look at hotel room prices, restaurant prices through out Thailand and compare to othter countries You can still get a good hotel in Bangkok or 1200THB while in London a cheap hotel is 1600THB to 4,000THB and food outside certainly isnt cheap.
Scooter Rental Udon 1650THB per week London 3320THB per week

Many reasons deter Tourism other than a strong Baht. Other countries offer different attractions, such as Cansinos, entertainment (not just some girl winding up and down a pole), international events (Motorcar racing, bike racing, horse and dog racing, corporate dollars available for conventions etc)
Sorry Doodoo, dont agree with ANY of your statements ..

1) I always looked at the exchange rates BEFORE arranging a holiday (and compared them to previous visits)
2)No action will be taken whilst those in charge BENEFIT on a personal basis from the current situation. There are very few politicians worldwide that would put the country and its peoples well being before their own.
3) Now compare with London 5 years ago where London hotels were about the same and BKK were about B500 and food in London cost approx 90% of todays prices but in BKK it was about 50%
4)Nobody, and I REALLY DO MEAN NOBODY with any more than half brain would even consider hiring a scooter in London [-X [-X

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 22, 2019, 11:05 am

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... of-economy

Another Reason why Tourism is DOWN.....My Friend was at London Gatwick Airport this week ( NO Not Coming HERE ) But he did tell me that the Money exchanges were showing at...Selling Thai Baht 30 to The Pound,& They would buy back at 49.5 To the Pound.....Now is it ANY Wonder that people would THINK Twice about those rates ??

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2019, 11:37 am

If the OP can give us a citation, we can see exactly what "airlines operating in Thailand" refers to. Is it the local domestic carriers who are mostly LCC's or does it refer to international and foreign airlines that have BKK (and other Thai airports) on their destination list? I think Thai Smile has a promo on for domestic tourists (Thai need only apply) as they try and boost internal tourism which I recall was being touted by Prayuth as a stop gap to the vaporizing Chinese visitors numbers? Most 9-to-5 Thai workers have less liquidity these days and even the quick monthly (or twice monthly) trek from Bangkok to the east Gulf coast destinations has slowed to a drip unless it coincides with a big national holiday.

The baht's strength is just another way of saying the dollar's weakness. There's a whole lot of international vacationers who have scratched the ritual 2nd or 3rd international holiday and a lot that can't afford the annual, family summer one. I mentioned earlier that Ho Chi Minh City was fairly buzzing with mostly Caucasian tourist couples about 2 weeks ago but maybe by now, that wee bubble has popped? There's been no marked forex 'break' WRT the Vietnamese Dong that I am aware of but I did note that room rates in Saigon were already up by maybe 8-10% on 'low-season' and the whole place is more expensive compared to this time last year.

It's the age of the savvy traveler and as Statts said, keeping close tabs on forex rates maybe explains why some Aussies or Swedes jumped on a plane to Vietnam and not so many Germans or Canadians?

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 22, 2019, 9:11 pm

The baht's strength is just another way of saying the dollar's weakness.

Sorry Tam, the dollar is doing not too bad against the Baht compared to the Chinese Renminbi or Yuan, whatever they want to call it. Every Countries exchange rate with the Baht is down at least 5% this year but their best trading partners seem to be worst off. The BOT says we are a strong currency because we import less than we export. Read this another way. We cannot sell as much as we used to because we are too expensive, we cannot buy as much because we are skint. Crash coming unfortunately.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”