Udon Traffic

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Udon Traffic

Post by tamada » March 30, 2021, 6:23 pm

The single-lane, shoulder crawl on the east ring road is creeping inexorably northwards from the Nong Bua/Nong Sai lights. Previously only the southbound lanes were getting closed off but the "scrabbler"* has been stripping the existing surface on the northbound side since yesterday. The weekend could see them up beyond the newish Shell station.

* Thanks to DM who told me that's what this machine is called. Personally, I think he's full of it.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 31, 2021, 4:51 pm

Just been to Central & parked in my go to area underneath. Surprisingly to me for 2:30 on a Wednesday afternoon the parking was full but that’s not the point of this post. The dangly height restriction beam on the way in says 1.9m (I think) which is okay for me for as long as I care to remember. However on the way out, the beam must have dropped because it hit the roof antenna, not a little twang on the tip but a thud near the base. On closer inspection the paint of the beam has had a lot chipped off so I’m guessing it’s been hit a few times.
This isn’t really a problem to me as I can get under (& it’s a rental) but anyone with a truck higher than a standard Hilux Prerunner needs to be careful
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 31, 2021, 5:19 pm

tamada wrote:
March 30, 2021, 6:23 pm
The single-lane, shoulder crawl on the east ring road is creeping inexorably northwards from the Nong Bua/Nong Sai lights. Previously only the southbound lanes were getting closed off but the "scrabbler"* has been stripping the existing surface on the northbound side since yesterday. The weekend could see them up beyond the newish Shell station.

* Thanks to DM who told me that's what this machine is called. Personally, I think he's full of it.
Yes noticed that as I said previously it will be quicker at certain times of the day to go anti-clockwise to get to the Nong Khai Road.

I have been told how to get to the Sam Phrao Road from my side of town, ,missing out the ring road entirely . So life is not entirely ruined

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 5:26 pm

Niggly wrote:
March 31, 2021, 4:51 pm
Just been to Central & parked in my go to area underneath. Surprisingly to me for 2:30 on a Wednesday afternoon the parking was full but that’s not the point of this post. The dangly height restriction beam on the way in says 1.9m (I think) which is okay for me for as long as I care to remember. However on the way out, the beam must have dropped because it hit the roof antenna, not a little twang on the tip but a thud near the base. On closer inspection the paint of the beam has had a lot chipped off so I’m guessing it’s been hit a few times.
This isn’t really a problem to me as I can get under (& it’s a rental) but anyone with a truck higher than a standard Hilux Prerunner needs to be careful
There's a height restriction beam on the exit? What's that about? Do cars get taller in the dark?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 31, 2021, 5:29 pm

^ maybe there’s a mystery Somchai that sneaks around pumping tyres up?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 31, 2021, 5:34 pm

tamada wrote:
March 31, 2021, 5:26 pm

There's a height restriction beam on the exit? What's that about? Do cars get taller in the dark?
Actually, you got me thinking whether it was something else but no, it’s definitely a height barrier all be it a single one right over the ramp encompassing both entry & exit. It must be hanging low on the chains to the right. Maybe stretched links which could give anytime soon?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 31, 2021, 5:35 pm

The Global hole deepens. The backhoe scooping soup out of the hole this afternoon was one of those extra long-reach ones that you see clearing canals. Must be a 50' boom on the beast and it was extended ALL the way below surface level.

Not a quick repair methinks.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 31, 2021, 5:50 pm

Been reading this thread with interest as now I'm committed to a weekly trip (normally every 6 weeks) to the BKK Hospital. I use the 22 hwy.
Exited the temporary carpark at 09:30, Mrs Dero says "tung" - past the railway station
back end of UT then Villa Mart following the rail line, the traffic light gods in my favour so swung around over the crossing, stayed in the left lane and was passed Cheese to Meat You in a few minutes = easy!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 31, 2021, 9:38 pm

^ Shame the UD Town overspill car park probably wasn’t open at that time.
When it is you can cut across the railway & join San Chao Neramit Road outside the Chinese Cultural Centre thingummy. You can then turn left onto Nittayo Road southbound just past the clusterfcuk of people trying to u turn or turn right on the level crossing. You can even cut through Prime Square to join a bit further down if you wish.

Note:
Street names in English readable from a moving vehicle

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 1, 2021, 6:45 am

^ TBH, I haven't seen the temporary railway crossing behind UD Town open for quite a while now. I used it frequently last year, the guards rolling the gate aside before 6 p.m. for my quick shortcut behind the temple to the ring road.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 1, 2021, 6:53 am

tamada wrote:
April 1, 2021, 6:45 am
^ TBH, I haven't seen the temporary railway crossing behind UD Town open for quite a while now. I used it frequently last year, the guards rolling the gate aside before 6 p.m. for my quick shortcut behind the temple to the ring road.
No that is part of the problem, lack of thought has brought about an even more congested crossing worse, plkus currently of course the Main drain /water problem they are dealing with. Seems working at night ( normal in many cities worldwide ) is not an option here rather do it in the heat of the day.
The other crossing you speak of could have been widened by now, but a little bird tells me the State Railway of Thailand objected, so it was never pursued.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 1, 2021, 7:51 am

tamada wrote:
April 1, 2021, 6:45 am
It was open last Wednesday (maybe Thursday, I lose track of days) late afternoon. I parked there & it was still daylight. There were two Somchais there, one at either end

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 1, 2021, 8:01 am

Car has just been taken for a clean so unfortunately I won’t be able to dip my toe into the Udon Traffic melee for a few hours today

Sorry Samuel, feel free to take on the mantle

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 1, 2021, 9:24 am

Two more days and I'll be back plying the sois of Udon......always looking for the hidden gems of bypassing traffic furballs. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who knows this shortcut from Villa area to Homepro area:
Attachments
Screenshot (20).png

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 1, 2021, 10:10 am

parrot wrote:
April 1, 2021, 9:24 am
Two more days and I'll be back plying the sois of Udon......always looking for the hidden gems of bypassing traffic furballs. I'm guessing I'm not the only one who knows this shortcut from Villa area to Homepro area:
Yes, that's always a good one to cut out the traffic 👍

Did you know if you are heading from Villa on that road & you turn left onto Soi Nonglek 8 & then right at the end onto an unnamed Soi you go parallel to the rail tracks & come out at the level crossing just past Nong Sim on Weersai Road. Its quite tight but passable

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 1, 2021, 12:15 pm

Some of these shortcuts are certainly helpful in times of need, however as they are just about passable it will only need a delivery truck, even a Samlor pottering along and the whole good Idea, just became a lot worse`.

But I say caution ios always required when using the un-named often unknown SOIs as shortcuts as the locals will not expect to see a Car/Truck coming in the other direction, so forewarned is forearmed .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 1, 2021, 7:48 pm

Let’s try again.......

This particular cut mentioned is a single track road, sealed with passing places. Tight, yes, just about passable, no. Why are you suggesting all cuts are just about passable?

I think it highly unlikely a delivery truck would use this route as it clearly won’t fit at either end but I’ll play along. Reversing to a passing place isn’t difficult. Why would it be a whole lot worse?

Why wouldn’t a local expect to see a vehicle on a sealed road?

It would be nice if you presented some alternatives of your own instead of slating every route suggested or slating the local population likely to be in the vicinity

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 2, 2021, 7:18 am

Some routes are easily passable, I was offering caution ( for those with a heavy right foot ) that some of the shortcuts mentioned are prone to problems and drivers should be aware.
Seeing problems in warning drivers is pretty indefensible as we ALL I am sure have come across a hold-up unexpectedly .
But obviously some drivers have seem to have the ability to see around corners and also foresee the traffic situation some kilometres ahead , thereby rendering any warning unwarranted.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 2, 2021, 9:08 am

Yaaaay, road trip 🚗

Probably just going to go HWY2 straight through the centre of town.
Wish me luck, I might meet some other vehicles.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 2, 2021, 9:47 am

Niggly wrote:
April 2, 2021, 9:08 am
Yaaaay, road trip 🚗

Probably just going to go HWY2 straight through the centre of town.
Wish me luck, I might meet some other vehicles.
You won't meet mine. Fan belt shredded inbound on Watthananuwong on yesterday's school run. Limped home at 20 kph which, at around 4 p.m., was the same speed as everyone else anyway.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”