End of the Year Thoughts

General Udon Thani topics only!
parrot
udonmap.com

End of the Year Thoughts

Post by parrot » December 28, 2019, 5:53 pm

I think I’m going to add an extra shade of rose tint to my glasses for the New Year…….upping my last few years’ resolutions to not become a grumpy old guy. I’ve taken a liking to watching a developing country grow, rather than try and compare a developing country with my long developed country. With that goal in mind, here are a few things we did in December in Udon that we probably couldn’t have done as easily/cheaply in the US, along with a few other end-of-year thoughts.

A crown in my wife’s mouth fell off (cost $1500 in the US). Called the dentist at his government post in the morning, had an appointment for the late afternoon. New crown cost here 12,000 Baht.

Walked into a gold store on Phosri Rd. Asked if they could resize my 46 year old wedding band. Picked it up all shiny and new looking less than 24 hours later. 700 Baht.

Walked into AEC Vet with our dog who had a pretty nasty head wound. No appointment. Walked out 25 minutes and 450 Baht later, all taken care of.

Took my wife’s Dooney purse to Tom’s Shoe repair (tom-s-shoes-since-the-1960-s-t40819.html) to have the strap shortened. The 79 year old Tom was there, but he had a stroke, so he’s not repairing shoes anymore. His wife does some small jobs and they have one worker fixing heels/soles. Tom’s wife repaired the purse, all professional looking…..30 minutes and 50 Baht later.

Meanwhile, the 60 Baht jumbo bowl of Vietnamese noodle soup, filled with oodles of Tha Bo (ท่าบ่อ) authentic Vietnamese noodles, sliced beef, meatballs, and loads of herbs and freshly roasted chilis still costs 60 Baht. My newest barber owns a modern shop, fixes big bikes and gives haircuts. His shop is air con’d with music, and he doesn’t give military haircuts (unless asked). He cuts my hair the way I want it cut, not that there’s much to cut anymore. He doesn’t have cataracts and doesn’t smell of alcohol or cigarettes. I’ve had a few good barbers over the years…I’ll hope this one lasts longer than the others.

As the long New Year holidays drags on, there’ll be countless recounts of the horrible traffic accidents in Thailand. I’ll remind myself that nsDT, traffic accidents increase over the holidays everywhere.

And finally, I’ll remind myself how lucky we’ve been over 23 years…..good piece of land, good house, plentiful water, and a lifestyle that would be nearly impossible for me to mimic back in the US.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: End of the Year Thoughts

Post by jackspratt » December 28, 2019, 6:42 pm

May your glass stay perpetually half full, John. Of Rosé wine I would venture.

It is a philosophy, or just outlook on life, that I am happy to follow - and so easy to do here in Isaan.

It won't grow any more hair on your receding crop, but it certainly won't accelerate the loss either. :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » December 30, 2019, 8:30 am

trump-democrats-media-deep-state-2020.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 30, 2019, 2:18 pm

TJ wrote:
December 30, 2019, 8:30 am
trump-democrats-media-deep-state-2020.jpg
Quite possibly your last threadf*ck of 2019?

laksnrub
udonmap.com

Post by laksnrub » December 30, 2019, 2:25 pm

Tough times never last, but tough people do.” –When caught up in an unseemly situation, we usually look for the easy way out. And unfortunately, procrastination is the natural response.
Quality is best done first

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 30, 2019, 3:54 pm

Personally, 2019 hasn't been all that for me. It hasn't been exactly dire but I have had many, many years that were a lot, lot better and at least a couple that were worse. However, I do see a worrying increase in the likelihood of more rubbish ones, mostly through things wrought of governments, banks and corporations that I have absolutely no control over. So the best I can do is leverage whatever I can do to make my own, personal experience and happenstance favorable ones and not to burden my wife and children with my concerns. Being unable to legally kill and dispose of those others that truly annoy me, I have found it more enervating and liberating to just avoid them. Ear plugs help too!

They claim that hindsight is always 20/20 so here's hoping 2020 also gives me a bit better foresight and sense of guidance and (re)direction as the sands slowly drain from the upper half of my hourglass.

Lacking any foresight, maybe a scope for my sniper's rifle will have to do.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”