Any laws on dumping of construction material?

General Udon Thani topics only!
anefarious1
udonmap.com

Any laws on dumping of construction material?

Post by anefarious1 » May 20, 2020, 9:28 am

I realize Thailand has very weak rule of law but I'm wondering if anyone knows what can be done about a new neighbor dumping construction material waste meters from where our family lives and grows our rice.

We expressed our concerns, as we have 2 small children, but the attitude is, of course, mai pen rai.

They have dumped several times and will probably continue to do so because they own a local business that sells gypsum board and similar building material. They say they will cover it with dirt later, but I don't really think that makes it right.

Here is a lovely photo of the setting...

What would you do?
Attachments
dump.jpg

mickojak
udonmap.com

Re: Any laws on dumping of construction material?

Post by mickojak » May 20, 2020, 9:45 am

Get your wife to chat to village boss, and hope he's not related to the dumper?

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 20, 2020, 10:09 am

I'd report it to the police and see if anything happens. It probably won't do any good but it will be in the record that you complained and that you know who is the culprit. I'd also make a sign in Thai saying "NO DUMPING".

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » May 20, 2020, 10:12 am

Gypsum becomes poisonous gas in the landfill
However, when drywall reaches landfills--and it does so in vast quantities, as it constitutes about 15% of all construction and demolition debris--it can leach these toxic chemicals into groundwater.
Once i saw a pickup dumping same sh** just behind the house i rented...I took my camera talked in Thai and asked if they thaught it looked nice what they were doing...-I'm finished soon was the answer..took some photos of the crew,five men..walked away..just then a Police who looked after a house on my soi came,i showed him the pics and the truck..response...-Can't see the regnumber...the truck was painted in such way that he didn't really need that,just his eyes..Went to Tessaban in Nongsamrong..nothing happened.

You will find,i guess,the same answer..i'm quite sure...But goodluck..

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 20, 2020, 10:25 am

I filmed a guy dumping a few years back
Took it to the local village boss
nothing
so I posted on U Tube
shaming maybe the go

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 20, 2020, 10:46 am

Who's land is this being dumped on? If the neighbor is dumping on his own land, there's not a lot can be done.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » May 20, 2020, 11:02 am

tamada wrote:
May 20, 2020, 10:46 am
Who's land is this being dumped on? If the neighbor is dumping on his own land, there's not a lot can be done.
This is the reality. I will have to make sure the family doesn't plant rice around there. I'm worried about inevitable leaching with rain season. Gypsum and the rotten egg smell of hydrogen sulphide break down is one thing, but who knows what other chemicals are used to process that material. No consideration of others, none.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » May 20, 2020, 11:26 am

Another scenario is to pay him to get rid of it.
Problem is, he would have to agree not to do it again, or he'll just see you as a cash cow for every load he wants to get rid of.

Certainly need to ask him if he plans to dump more as well.

Tricky situation

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 20, 2020, 12:11 pm

Fly tipping is an illegal offense here , in the past if caught fines were small at 2000 bt but more recently there were increased to 5000 bt .

So i would make a police report so the dumping is at least recorded.

AS INFO

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » May 20, 2020, 12:39 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
May 20, 2020, 12:11 pm
Fly tipping is an illegal offense here , in the past if caught fines were small at 2000 bt but more recently there were increased to 5000 bt .

So i would make a police report so the dumping is at least recorded.

AS INFO

DM
Are you sure it's not legal even if it's on the owner's land? Do you happen to know which government office to file a complaint with? Problem is taking action in this part of the world often brings even more problems. You are expected to just keep quiet lest make an enemy.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 20, 2020, 12:57 pm

Not an offense to dump anything on your own land so if the dumper owns the land or has permission to dump by the land owner theres just the issue of health n hygiene to report at the local amphur.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 20, 2020, 1:18 pm

Go to the Obitors office and lodge a complaint. If he doesn't do anything about the problem then go to the Environmental Health Office in Udon. They will send someone to look at the dumped plasterboard and confront the culprits.
If the Obitor hasn't addressed the issue by this time go back to him and let him know you've been and lodged a complaint at the EHO. This will get him moving.
We did this with a company beside us who started a concrete business and we got them shut down within hours of the second visit to the Obitor.
Obviously, we are not popular with the concrete owners, however most villagers agreed but too timid to confront the issue.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 20, 2020, 1:31 pm

get your missus to buy the land for rice or potatoes if he only going to dump on it, or pay him to move it..
if you have a Chairman like mine, you dont rock the boat

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 20, 2020, 2:06 pm

not an unusual occurrence. We have on old village water pond the Village Chief decided needed to be "filled in..." He's told construction teams they can dump construction junk on the verges of the pond and he as a tractor push it in every couple of months. It went from concrete/rock waster to gypsum board, bits of metal, old ventilation duct and an occasional truckload of plain trash/garbage. Nobody seems to give a crap about it going on. It is ridiculous.. Plastic, and lightweight stryrofoam bits are blown all around the area making it look like a city dump..

you could lodge a complaint at the Udon Thani Government Ombudsman's page. Possibly attach photos too.. https://www.ombudsman.go.th/en/
Dave

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » May 20, 2020, 2:38 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
May 20, 2020, 2:06 pm
not an unusual occurrence. We have on old village water pond the Village Chief decided needed to be "filled in..." He's told construction teams they can dump construction junk on the verges of the pond and he as a tractor push it in every couple of months. It went from concrete/rock waster to gypsum board, bits of metal, old ventilation duct and an occasional truckload of plain trash/garbage.
We have a similar situation in our village, been there for the 19 years I've lived here. The pit is about 250 metres off the road in the middle of the jungle so not real offensive. Maybe not ecco friendly but every dry season the Puaya Baan has a contractor push all the junk into the middle of the pit with a tractor, they pore diesel all over it and throw in a match = poof, done and dusted for another year. AND it's a great scavenger ground for the local recyclers!

Can be seen on Google Earth
17.807412 N
103.320938 E

Edit:-
@weejimmy - Not to be offensive but it's not "Obitor" rather than Orr-Bor-Tor. The Tambon administrator, in our case the Tambon is made up of 17 villages all of which have their own Puaya Baan (Village Chief).
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 20, 2020, 5:22 pm

weejimmy - Not to be offensive but it's not "Obitor" rather than Orr-Bor-Tor. The Tambon administrator, in our case the Tambon is made up of 17 villages all of which have their own Puaya Baan (Village Chief).

I'm ashamed as I actually knew that... however I'm sure everyone knew what I meant.
Off toppic but...
As your in Bandung can you tell me if the big monthly market is still on.. It's a while since we have been up to Bandung. If I remember correctly it was on the18th of every month. Also, how many bars in Bandung now?
Thanks.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » May 20, 2020, 6:12 pm

i thought the unofficial dumping sites on road side
where bad enough . but neighbors off loading on
property line? more medieval castle walls needed

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » May 20, 2020, 6:51 pm

falang have the bad habit of trying to control other peoples actions , so in los it is allowed to dump what ever you want on your own land , as long as it is not poisonous , mostly they will fill it up later with soil and if not bad luck , i do not really care what the neighbor dumps on his land as long as i do not see it (2,10 m high wall ) and not smell it and even no wall ? it is their land ... ;)

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » May 20, 2020, 8:00 pm

kopkei
Reminds me of an old British saying.

F..k you jack, I’m alright.

Let’s hope you are never affected. I do have sympathy for the poster. I don’t think he is trying to control the dumper, that won’t happen. Putting your head above the parapet here can have unwanted consequences.
Every dog has his day and maybe karma is not far away.
Perhaps one day things will change here in Thailand. But by then you and I will both be hangin upside down on the perch.
Same in other countries.
I have built 2 houses in Vietnam and with their small 5 or 10 meter width land, the habit and a strange given is each builder keeps pushing their nonsense across to the neighbours empty land and if you are last to build you clean it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » May 20, 2020, 8:24 pm

kopkei wrote:
May 20, 2020, 6:51 pm
falang have the bad habit of trying to control other peoples actions , so in los it is allowed to dump what ever you want on your own land , as long as it is not poisonous , mostly they will fill it up later with soil and if not bad luck , i do not really care what the neighbor dumps on his land as long as i do not see it (2,10 m high wall ) and not smell it and even no wall ? it is their land ... ;)
This wouldn't be a thread without a comment like this. Didn't even read the details and offers his twisted logic. Thanks for the laugh.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”