Dengue Fever

General Udon Thani topics only!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Dengue Fever

Post by Khun Paul » May 31, 2020, 5:14 pm

We have had the scare of Covid 19 , now comes and even more sinister problem. Dengue delivered by the Aedes Mosquito equally silent ( no noise does it make ), ]need bloody good eyesight to spot whether it is Aedes or the normal variety . 11,000 cases and 11 deaths so far .

Government not exactly seen to be worried , extensive spraying of habitats not exactly high on the list of priorities in protecting the public .
Waster areas and now with the rain, puddles of water etc breeding ground, but the Aedes Mossy loves inside buildings as well can even live in egg form for a year and then hatch when wet .
So check your plant pot saucers, clean and wash them out , sweep away all rubbish and keep gardens clean and water puddle free if possible. Vaccinations are available AFTER you get it .

mickojak
udonmap.com

Re: Dengue Fever

Post by mickojak » May 31, 2020, 5:28 pm

Yes, and even of you don't die from it, severe conditions can occur at random times for years.
Nasty

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2020, 5:46 pm

Mrs tam mentioned this last month as it does seem that Covid-19 has been a distraction to this regular, seasonal issue.

The easiest guide is that in comparison to the female anopheles, night time mosquito that spreads malaria, the aeades mosquito that carries dengue is a daylight hazard. The same precautions apply regarding places where all mossies accumulate as KP points out. If you see a daytime mossie, you have an issue.

This from a dengue victim in Bangkok in 2011.
Last edited by tamada on May 31, 2020, 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 31, 2020, 6:28 pm

It's normally about this time of the year that the village is totally sprayed, I don't know how long the spray lasts especially with the rain season, but at least the are trying.
I for one several years ago, seemed to suffer from something like dengue, was in bed for months very very unpleasant only saving grace lost 5kg.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » May 31, 2020, 8:10 pm

There are 4 strains of dengue
you can only get each strain once
you can get more than 1 strain at the same time
I have had 1 strain or maybe 2 as was sick twice in a month about 3 years ago
was tested once and have the antibodies
Can only tell you it is no fun for a few weeks
The fogging they do in the villages only kills that one time
like a big can of fly spray

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 31, 2020, 8:16 pm

^ It certainly is no fun. It was the first time that I considered that my belief of being bullet proof and invincible was seriously challenged.

As for the moobahn's penchant for a one-time fogging, one would hope that it is based on science and historical precedent.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 1, 2020, 6:39 am

Reading the science and I believe I have this right, vaccination is appropriate after contracting Dengue, as habing it before can mean that you may still get it, but worse .
So a jab afterwards is better, luckily here in sleep Udon , we do not seem to have it much if at all , but Mossies are sneaky so beware and take care guys

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 1, 2020, 7:06 am

tamada wrote:
May 31, 2020, 8:16 pm
^ It certainly is no fun. It was the first time that I considered that my belief of being bullet proof and invincible was seriously challenged.

As for the moobahn's penchant for a one-time fogging, one would hope that it is based on science and historical precedent.
In Angola they fogged the camp every night, but we still had many cases of malaria. Once a year not going to help much

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 1, 2020, 7:14 am

The latest Udon numbers are at https://www.google.com/search?q=%E0%B9% ... TvypORgnkM:
It looks like Bandung is a hot spot.
Given the wiki literature on the vaccine, I'm not sure I'd be a willing participant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_vaccine
We lived in town for 2 years......both houses had plenty of black and white mosquitoes. The sinks/tubs in our house went out in a drain alongside the house to the main road. The drain was covered with cement blocks that had holes so you could remove them for cleaning. Mosquitoes thrived there. We'd spray the drains.....but our neighbors had a variety of junk in their yard and lots of flower pots with saucers that held water.
Where we live now we still have black and whites. But the problem seems to be much less than what we experienced in the city. The tetsabahn comes through a few times during rainy season......but the reality is they're spraying selected areas.....in a jungle where mosquitoes are going to thrive.
Bฺumrungrad Hospital website has a good description of the symptoms.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 1, 2020, 7:54 am

This mornings BKK Post :
More than 14,000 people have contracted dengue fever and 11 have died so far this year, Disease Control Department director-general Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai said yesterday.
Citing a report from the Bureau of Epidemiology, from Jan 1 to May 25 this year, 14,136 people were found to have caught dengue fever, or 21.2 per 100,000 population. Eleven people died from the disease during the period, or 0.02 per 100,000 population.
The five provinces with the highest numbers of dengue fever cases per 100,000 population were Rayong at 73, Chaiyaphum 58.13, Khon Kaen 53.83, Mae Hong Son 37.87, and Nakhon Ratchasima 36.92.

By region, the number of dengue fever cases per 100,000 population were 25.67 in the Northeast, 22.04 in the Central region, 18.42 in the South and 14.14 in the North.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 1, 2020, 10:09 am

85 per 100k in Bandung

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”