European Kitchen Suppliers

General Udon Thani topics only!
dunroaming
udonmap.com

European Kitchen Suppliers

Post by dunroaming » July 7, 2020, 7:38 am

I want to change my kitchen as getting on in years, apart from usual stores Global House, Homework etc has anyone had a European Kitchen installed by local supplier? I see dreamup house builders also do kitchens but haven't seen anyone else advertising, any recommendations

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: European Kitchen Suppliers

Post by tamada » July 7, 2020, 7:46 am

We did ours maybe 14 years ago with units from Index Living Mall. Apart from the sink unit, where we replaced the disintegrating particle board with a proper plywood and wood frame unit maybe 2 years ago, the rest of it has stood the test of time.

We placed Index wall cabinets on the two walls above the Index storage and range cabinets but had a local carpenter make matching storage units for the opposite two walls. I had to shop around to get handles that matched the ones on the Index fixtures but it was cheaper than going all-Index.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 7, 2020, 8:10 am

tamada wrote:
July 7, 2020, 7:46 am
We did ours maybe 14 years ago with units from Index Living Mall. Apart from the sink unit, where we replaced the disintegrating particle board with a proper plywood and wood frame unit maybe 2 years ago, the rest of it has stood the test of time.

We placed Index wall cabinets on the two walls above the Index storage and range cabinets but had a local carpenter make matching storage units for the opposite two walls. I had to shop around to get handles that matched the ones on the Index fixtures but it was cheaper than going all-Index.
Tam

Funny you should say that it's our sink unit that's also gone the rest are fine but the original supplier has gone long ago

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 7, 2020, 8:14 am

dunroaming wrote:
July 7, 2020, 7:38 am
I want to change my kitchen as getting on in years, apart from usual stores Global House, Homework etc has anyone had a European Kitchen installed by local supplier? I see dreamup house builders also do kitchens but haven't seen anyone else advertising, any recommendations
If you want the best available in Udon , then i think it has to be Decor Choice .
Ive had 2 kitchens fitted by them over the years and there standards are second to none . They make the kitchen to suite your house and budget all in a higher grade than average density board and can do the whole job from start to finish , cabinets , plumbing , electrics , worktops , granite or laminate , tiling , they will even hang your curtains or blinds .
There work force are well equipped and know exactly what they are doing on instalation , all the units are made in their own factory and brought on site made up , except for door fronts , drawers and plinths .
Not the cheapest , but still good value for money .
The last one they fitted for me was 12 years ago , and consisted of 18 units , and besides the odd handle coming loose , which is an easy fix , its still going strong as are the imported appliances . { fagor }
The owners are lovely people , and speak perfect English , and they have a good website , to give you a good idea of their standards and concepts .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 7, 2020, 8:32 am

^ The only solid wood parts on the Index stuff were the doors and drawer facings on the double sink unit. We saved them and used them on the new sink unit built with 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame instead if the 1/2" particle board soggy cornflake packet of the original.

Finding a 'cabinet maker' that can copy the original cabinet may be tough as it is a small job. The original add-on cabinets was a decent-sized job all those years ago but getting anyone to replace just the sink unit proved too difficult. They all wanted to replace the whole lot! In the end, it was a weekend DIY job with wood from Do Home.

In the US, a common, cheap kitchen upgrade is simply to replace all the doors and drawer facings. Remove them and repaint or refinish the original cabinets to match the new doors and facingd. Even new jerk and handles. I am not at all sure if standard sized door kits can be had in Thailand but maybe a 'door job' is all that's needed?... plus a new sink unit.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 7, 2020, 10:41 am

first kitchen installed almost 20years ago was with decor choice for a still reasonable price , 12 years later we went same shop to realize their prices had been tripled , we bought at index and they did a fine job , 3 years ago opted for boonthavorn as they had at the time a better discounted alternative as index ...most basic materials used at kitchens is mdf and prices should be same as mdf is mdf , finishing doors can be different in prices due to different materials ;)

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 7, 2020, 10:51 am

kopkei wrote:
July 7, 2020, 10:41 am
first kitchen installed almost 20years ago was with decor choice for a still reasonable price , 12 years later we went same shop to realize their prices had been tripled , we bought at index and they did a fine job , 3 years ago opted for boonthavorn as they had at the time a better discounted alternative as index ...most basic materials used at kitchens is mdf and prices should be same as mdf is mdf , finishing doors can be different in prices due to different materials ;)
Thanks have them coming to provide a quote along with dream up a trip to boonthavorn seems to be in order. I want built in units so Index out on this occasion

Thanks to all

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 7, 2020, 11:07 am

One thing I noticed but not immediately was the lower height of locally supplied stuff compared with my US home kitchen. It goes with the lower average height of Thai people and Mrs tam and others have no issues but when I was preparing stuff or baking, my back would hurt after a while as I was stooped over the lower counter tops. I am 6' 4" so may be something to consider if you are getting a kitchen makeover and you like to cook and bake... unless you're already a short-arse of course.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 7, 2020, 11:34 am

tamada wrote:
July 7, 2020, 11:07 am
One thing I noticed but not immediately was the lower height of locally supplied stuff compared with my US home kitchen. It goes with the lower average height of Thai people and Mrs tam and others have no issues but when I was preparing stuff or baking, my back would hurt after a while as I was stooped over the lower counter tops. I am 6' 4" so may be something to consider if you are getting a kitchen makeover and you like to cook and bake... unless you're already a short-arse of course.
Yip same with my old kitchen most are made to 90 cm height where in UK it's 100 cm. I do alot of the cooking so yes feel your pain

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » July 7, 2020, 12:02 pm

I bought a Kitzcho kitchen, installed it in my apartment in the middle of town, a few months later I could hear it rattling and it turned out it had been eaten by termites and all that was left was the outside shell. Very expensive lesson learned there, it's plastic for me from now on, I'm not doing that again.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 7, 2020, 12:24 pm

Designed our kitchen and had them installed with the mob below. Decore Kitchens in UT
Many different styles and products.

www.decorschoice.co.th

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 7, 2020, 4:24 pm

the height of the kitchen counter should be indeed be considered with the height of the person most cooking , with us the counter is at 87 cm , perfect for me and also for my wife ,if 2 persons of different height both like cooking you can maybe solve by having 2 different height counters if it is possible in your kitchen configuration...
as to using real wood as the kitzcho kitchens (i also checked them before )what is very much liked by the termites even though they claim it is treated against termites,(my friends kitzcho kitchen also being eaten completely by termites ) mdf is more resistant to them but when bad luck they will also eat this one...so no termite warranty on this one too ;)

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 7, 2020, 4:39 pm

what i forgot to mention is when ever you buy a kitchen you must look in case of problems the replacement of parts is not limited , this will be mostly about the fronts (doors/draws....),i did have a problem with the index kitchen after 5 years and no replacement available as the model has been discontinued and stock ...mot ...
and if using granite countertops ,order them outside as they will be a lot cheaper ... ;)

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 8, 2020, 4:52 pm

Had Dream up house builders round this morning, price seems acceptable around the 200000 baht and 2/3 days to install. However takes one month to make the units and doors but that's fine too waiting for a brochure for the door styles price includes granite worktops but no appliance's. Anyone used them before?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 8, 2020, 9:18 pm

Yikes! +£5 grand for a kitchen?

Ummm... OK, I guess.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » July 9, 2020, 6:24 am

tamada wrote:
July 8, 2020, 9:18 pm

Ummm... OK, I guess.
That's the Aberdonian coming out in you Tam, it's cheap at half the price. Have an alternative supplier coming at the weekend to measure up and provide a quote, might be cheaper but expect not ah well as Alexo says there's no pockets in a shroud

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 9, 2020, 10:45 am

kopkei wrote:
July 7, 2020, 4:24 pm
the height of the kitchen counter should be indeed be considered with the height of the person most cooking , with us the counter is at 87 cm , perfect for me and also for my wife ,if 2 persons of different height both like cooking you can maybe solve by having 2 different height counters if it is possible in your kitchen configuration...
as to using real wood as the kitzcho kitchens (i also checked them before )what is very much liked by the termites even though they claim it is treated against termites,(my friends kitzcho kitchen also being eaten completely by termites ) mdf is more resistant to them but when bad luck they will also eat this one...so no termite warranty on this one too ;)
Agree, I set my top of counter height at 880 mm above finished floor level and the depth of the counter top at 620 mm from front edge to wall surface. I also went with two separate cooking tops (a his and a hers) and two range hoods about 1200 mm apart which gave me a total of 4 burners, plus a granite bench top for durability.

Not finished yet and not exactly Western, yet
Boonthavorn: for Seimens Range Hoods & Cook Tops & Sink
MR. KEN DC Motor Fans
Wanghin: for Granite Benchtop
Boonthavorn: for Floor & Wall Tile, Light Fittings

If any of this helps
00 HH Kitchen Light Fittings  (3).jpg

000 HH Kitchen Floor Tiles - (4).jpg

53 Concept P 2.jpg

48 Concept P 2.jpg
48 Concept P 2.jpg (29.65 KiB) Viewed 926 times
pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on July 9, 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » July 9, 2020, 11:23 am

to all of you who had a european kitchen built in udon thani:
why not post some pictures of your kitchen here?
whats wrong with you guys?
no smartphone?

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » July 9, 2020, 3:06 pm

dunroaming wrote:
July 9, 2020, 6:24 am
tamada wrote:
July 8, 2020, 9:18 pm

Ummm... OK, I guess.
That's the Aberdonian coming out in you Tam, it's cheap at half the price. Have an alternative supplier coming at the weekend to measure up and provide a quote, might be cheaper but expect not ah well as Alexo says there's no pockets in a shroud
You being from where you are, I am sure you will find someway to hide it. But agree 5k quid for a western style kitchen is a bargain. Try buying the same in the UK with granite tops etc. Then "yikes" is truely relevent.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » July 9, 2020, 6:56 pm

nice to see that my call for pictures was answered by at least @pipoz4444.
well done.
some more guys to follow?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”