120 kph?

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: 120 kph?

Post by tamada » December 21, 2020, 1:05 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 21, 2020, 8:58 am
My info might be late, but was not aware of the Ground level U Turns being mentioned before , although in some places, central barriers are being put in place and speed signs changed.
So like most laws here it will be dependent on enforcement and implementation , risking it just because you can is no recipe for safe responsible driving rather the opposite .
Yes, it was right up there in the original Bangkok Post statement cited in the OP and further highlighted in my post which was #3 on this thread.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=598418

"The speed limits will apply on national and rural highways of four lanes separated by a barrier and without U-turn points."

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 23, 2020, 9:30 am

tamada wrote:
December 21, 2020, 1:05 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
December 21, 2020, 8:58 am
My info might be late, but was not aware of the Ground level U Turns being mentioned before , although in some places, central barriers are being put in place and speed signs changed.
So like most laws here it will be dependent on enforcement and implementation , risking it just because you can is no recipe for safe responsible driving rather the opposite .
Yes, it was right up there in the original Bangkok Post statement cited in the OP and further highlighted in my post which was #3 on this thread.

posting.php?mode=quote&f=1&p=598418

"The speed limits will apply on national and rural highways of four lanes separated by a barrier and without U-turn points."
So I was right, no-way in Issan will the 120 be allowed as most if not all Dual carriageways here have U Turns.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 25, 2020, 6:46 am

Around Isan Im seeing more and more stretches of dual carriageway roads with U turns closed off and a perminent concrete central reservation barrier approx 1m high being installed. Obviously Uturns must account for a high number of accidents .. i think the 120 must be on motorways only but thats nothing new its been 120 on them for a long time...the main HW 2 UD to KK for example (outside the towns) will remain 90 ?? or now 120 ??

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 25, 2020, 7:02 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 25, 2020, 6:46 am
Around Isan Im seeing more and more stretches of dual carriageway roads with U turns closed off and a perminent concrete central reservation barrier approx 1m high being installed. Obviously Uturns must account for a high number of accidents .. i think the 120 must be on motorways only but thats nothing new its been 120 on them for a long time...the main HW 2 UD to KK for example (outside the towns) will remain 90 ?? or now 120 ??

DM
Good observation dm. You travel enough of Isaan's highways to see these subtle changes. So it would appear by closing off the u-turns, the highways departments are modifying the roads to fit the new speed limits. All a bit trailer before the tractor if you ask me.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 25, 2020, 9:13 am

Yes but that will not DETER the avid driver that intends to cause mayhem on Thai roads especially the Motorcyclist which views the central reservation as a way to cross over to the other side no matter what restrictions.

So for me defensive driving will even more be a requirement to offset the upcoming stupidity I forsee, to countewre these impediments humanly placed on the roads.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 25, 2020, 12:09 pm

^ The vast majority of these small motorbike accidents that blow the Thai statistics out of the water don't happen on the 90 kph highways or 120 kph motorways.

Since you brought up impediments, why don't you focus ONLY on driving defensively instead of calling ALL other road users stupid?

Maybe it's time for a new driving offense charge: driving while holding contempt?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 25, 2020, 12:16 pm

tamada wrote:
December 25, 2020, 12:09 pm
^ The vast majority of these small motorbike accidents that blow the Thai statistics out of the water don't happen on the 90 kph highways or 120 kph motorways.

Since you brought up impediments, why don't you focus ONLY on driving defensively instead of calling ALL other road users stupid?

Maybe it's time for a new driving offense charge: driving while holding contempt?
Very true Tam.. surely most motorsai accidents occur at hot spots on the inside towns and cities roads and junctions , or on ring roads not HWs n MWs

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 25, 2020, 2:29 pm

tamada wrote:

Sorry in my experience of seeing FATAL Motorbike accidents they do and have happened on either the ring road or the Sakon Nahkon road which inot do I use it daily, but is also a 90 kph road. Minor accidents involving motorbikes are in urban areas. So please wind in your neck and look at the facts without the rose tinted glasses you seem to wear. I did not say all other road users I said specifically Motorcyclists . Try also reading as well please. Have a good Christmas Tamada.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 25, 2020, 8:21 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 25, 2020, 2:29 pm

Sorry in my experience of seeing FATAL Motorbike accidents they do and have happened on either the ring road or the Sakon Nahkon road which inot do I use it daily, but is also a 90 kph road. Minor accidents involving motorbikes are in urban areas. So please wind in your neck and look at the facts without the rose tinted glasses you seem to wear. I did not say all other road users I said specifically Motorcyclists . Try also reading as well please. Have a good Christmas Tamada.
Would this be the same experience you have that enables you to determine someone’s driving habits & ability without ever seeing them drive & post your allegations on a public forum?

Or would this be the same experience that enables you to establish someone is breaking the speed limit without using any calibrated measuring devices or actually being there?

Or would this be the same experience that allowed you to build up a dossier of evidence by reading some words on a public forum & hand it over to the RTP which they gladly accepted & told you they would act?

Or would this be the same experience you’ve argued many times in front of lawyers is perfectly acceptable to the prosecution & they agreed?

Or would this be the same experience you used to investigate that a white Hilux with Udon Thani plates tagged 8398 could have been issued to any car or motorcycle in any of the 72 provinces?

Just asking for a friend you understand
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 25, 2020, 8:26 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
December 25, 2020, 2:29 pm
tamada wrote:

Ah yes, another with empirical knowledge based on what's been personally observed on two bits of Thai highway once a fortnight. The statistics that claim around 80% of road deaths are people riding on two-wheels are the Thai national statistics (for what that's worth) but they're not talking about minor bumps and scrapes in and around town either.

Sorry that you missed the vast majority of all the other "FATAL Motorbike accidents". Maybe you need to get out more?

Rose tinted glasses... so cliche bit I guess you don't care one jot about that either.

Thanks! And a Merry Christmas to you as well.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 27, 2020, 1:19 pm

ah yes.... 120kph.. Only for very short stretches between clogs of traffic with slow trucks passing even slower trucks and the impatient car drivers racing up the left lane and dodging back into the right causing traffic to slow up and accordion.. Drove down to Ban Phe to go to Samet Island this last week. Udon to Khorat where we stayed overnight took 5.5 hours for around 300 kilometers due to traffic and construction. The next day Khorat to Ban Phe. Traffic was moderate but as we got into the hills south of Khorat on 304 different stretches of construction slowed things down.. As we got further down 304 to 331 heading into Rayong Province traffic got really heavy with more construction slowing things down. It took us nearly six hours to go the 320 kilometers..

My brilliant plan to visit Samet after the government holiday came asunder on the trip back to Khorat on the 25th.. Ah.. yes.. the early rush for the New Year's holiday had begun.. Not yet atrocious but bad nonetheless.. GPS gave me the first 100 kilometers from Ban Phe up through the hills on secondary roads. Zero traffic and smooth running until we got to 331 then 304.. Every stoplight took 3-4 cycles due to traffic backups.. Got to Khorat six hours later. Saturday the 26th was the final 300 kilometers to Udon with holiday traffic building badly.. 3-4 cycles at every light, Every bad habit imaginable plus road construction slowing things down in different places. Just south of Nam Phong they've got one lane ripped up and partially replaced with new concrete causing a 2 lane to 1 lane constriction of traffic and a backup up of well over 10 kilometers. Of course Thai style it was 3 lanes to 1 because every idiot and his brother would race down the left breakdown lane to get those 5 Buddha points per car.. We were in 2kph traffic for 45 minutes until we finally crept up to the one lane got through it and then a free run to home..

Oh, I did see one truly amazing sight.. A Thai "Rescue" pickup truck came up to the clog south of Nam Phone, lights flashing, siren wailing and loudspeaker asking car sto move right and left to let them through as they had an injured person inside (or so they said!).. I was thunderstruck to actually see cars squeezing up on the guard rail and to the left allowing the Rescue Truck to pass.. Even more stunning was that no a single car jumped in to draft the ambulance..... It reminded me of the autobahn in Germany and everyone getting out of the way when an emergency vehicle comes up...

To add.. Despite seeing some insane driving we observed only one fender bender over the 1300 kilometer round trip.
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 27, 2020, 4:00 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
December 27, 2020, 1:19 pm
ah yes.... 120kph..

To add.. Despite seeing some insane driving we observed only one fender bender over the 1300 kilometer round trip.
There you go KP, that's about 1300 km over maybe 16 hours of Thai highway driving and not one of the motorbike prangs that count for about 80% of road accident deaths in sight.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 27, 2020, 5:08 pm

tamada wrote:
December 27, 2020, 4:00 pm
FrazeeDK wrote:
December 27, 2020, 1:19 pm
ah yes.... 120kph..

There you go KP, that's about 1300 km over maybe 16 hours of Thai highway driving and not one of the motorbike prangs that count for about 80% of road accident deaths in sight.
How interesting .........NOT !!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 27, 2020, 6:14 pm

Just looked at the trip counter when I filled up the truck & we’ve done 4300kms since the 30th November.
Two of those weeks were spent loitering around Pattaya so the kms were really racked before & after.

Surprisingly (maybe?) didn’t see any accidents whatsoever. Did see one car being pulled from the central reservation towards Sattahip but it only looked like the driver wasn’t paying attention & drove into the drainage channel.

For the avoidance of doubt, I did not exceed the speed limit at any time😇

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 27, 2020, 7:10 pm

^ My point ENTIRELY. The shameful Thai traffic fatalities are mostly on 2-wheels, largely in the boonies and invariably involve single riders, all bent out of shape, going too fast and running into immovable objects or otherwise not quite making it. And some want the Thai cops to beef up their presence on the highways and motorways? Let them carry on pulling over and shaking down semi's and eighteen wheelers I say.

Now, get the f**k out of my way you speedo-watching, lane hogging, sanctimonious, pontificating, holier-than-thou twerp (you know who you are).

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 27, 2020, 7:44 pm

ORDER ORDER ORDER .. in the 120 kmph thread

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 12, 2021, 10:12 am

Just popping to 7-11 before it closes ......

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 12, 2021, 11:38 am

Isle of Man TT racing

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » February 13, 2021, 10:20 am

Could be one of Sydney's roads...bloke there plastered his effort at 190K/hr all over facebook.....cops are following it up....some drongos around these days.....

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 13, 2021, 11:38 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 12, 2021, 11:38 am
Isle of Man TT racing
An amazing race event to watch, but sadly the number of Fatalities over the years continues to grow nearly every race, not only including the Riders, but also in the past Race Officials and Spectators :(

It's not for the faint-hearted, at 330km/h plus. My hat goes off to these guys who participate in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8ctuTbZan8

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”