120 kph?

General Udon Thani topics only!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: 120 kph?

Post by jackspratt » February 13, 2021, 12:23 pm

I assume they are racing at Isle of Man to win the Darwin Trophy?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 13, 2021, 1:03 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
February 13, 2021, 11:38 am

An amazing race event to watch, but sadly the number of Fatalities over the years continues to grow nearly every race, not only including the Riders, but also in the past Race Officials and Spectators :(

pipoz4444
Not disputing there are fatalities but the stats from the official page suggest the number “continues to grow” is incorrect
You still have to be barking mad to compete

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 13, 2021, 1:44 pm

Niggly wrote:
February 13, 2021, 1:03 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
February 13, 2021, 11:38 am

An amazing race event to watch, but sadly the number of Fatalities over the years continues to grow nearly every race, not only including the Riders, but also in the past Race Officials and Spectators :(

pipoz4444
Not disputing there are fatalities but the stats from the official page suggest the number “continues to grow” is incorrect
You still have to be barking mad to compete

Hi Niggly, with respect, the reference to " the number of Fatalities over the years continues to grow ”, was a reference to the fact that more fatalities are added each year, (i.e. the Cumulative total number of overall fatalities). It was not a suggestion that the number from one year to the next is continually higher than its predecessor.

In 2019, Daley Mathison died and in 2018 Adam Lyon died and very sadly in 2017 three died, namely Davey Lambert, Jochem van der Hoek and Alan Bonner.

You will see from the Graph that Racers and others are added to the list of fatalities almost every year, be it, one, two, three or more. So respectfully, the total number fatalities does continue to grow. Just that the number varies, from one year to the next. Maybe this will clarify my initial post.

As to "barking mad", it may well be, but I would suggest that it also depends on what one wants out of life and how one gets their enjoyment or thrills, as some put it. There are lots of dangerous sports and or past-times out there these days. "Each to his own, lifestyle"

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 13, 2021, 2:08 pm

Was a part of the safety crew one year as my Regiment was ' Camping on the Isle of Man ' near Jurby ( I believe it is spelt ) .
We were hijacked by the organisers to be a mop up crew followign accidents, luckily near us no fatalities but some truly amazing accidents, no deaths though. Saw 900 cc motorbike behave as if it had wings, the driver was ok the bike, pure spares after that ...lol

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 13, 2021, 3:54 pm

^ okay, thanks for explaining what you meant.

However, I’m still not sure why there was a need to refer to a cumulative total. Surely every single sport or event where there is such an incident it could be said sadly the number of fatalities continues to grow?

I guess respectfully I’ll have to continue to think it’s an irrelevant statement

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » February 13, 2021, 4:33 pm

Niggly wrote:
February 13, 2021, 3:54 pm
^ okay, thanks for explaining what you meant.

However, I’m still not sure why there was a need to refer to a cumulative total. Surely every single sport or event where there is such an incident it could be said sadly the number of fatalities continues to grow?

I guess respectfully I’ll have to continue to think it’s an irrelevant statement
Not really Niggly, and no need to debate semantics like others do on this Forum.

English isn't my "Forte", nor do I speak it. I speak Australian \:D/ \:D/ which is a far cry from the Aristocratic language of the House of Lords. :-$

I am ok with whatever :wave: :-D

Cheers

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 13, 2021, 4:57 pm

Right, that’s settled then 😏

Moving on then, I notice some great lengths of Armco have been installed along HWY2 in the last day or so. This has successfully blocked off the little motorsai u turn shortcuts but I wonder if it’s main reason is something to do with raising the speed limit.
I remember reading something about the central reservation on the new high speed sections but can’t be bothered to look back for a quote

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 13, 2021, 9:57 pm

A bit of 4 wheel action. This is just like me when PapaFarang announces there’s some fresh cheesecakes

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 27, 2021, 3:07 pm

Boom, this would mean exceeding the limit by 30kph less if caught 🤭

Crack on
Govt presses ahead with speed limit hike
Bangkok Post 27/02/2021

The Ministry of Transport is preparing to raise the maximum speed allowed for passenger cars on highways from 90kph to 120kph.
The ministerial regulation is currently at the drafting stage and all relevant agencies are finalising the details before its publication in the Royal Gazette, expected in early April, said Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob.
Safety must remain a priority, while roads and environmental conditions would also be considered for the announcement.
The areas where cars would be allowed to legally reach 120kph must at least have four traffic lanes with median barriers and the road must be straight, without junctions or U-turns, he said. In that case, the minimum speed for the right lane would have to be 100kph to prevent crashes, he said.
New speed limit signs will be put up in areas so drivers can see clearly where they must slow down or can speed up.
Signs setting a 30kph limit will be in residential or school areas, 60kph signs will be put up to reduce speeds on highways where motorists are approaching an intersection or U-turn, while 120kph will be for long, straight roads for cars not carrying more than seven people.
Additionally, the ministry is considering whether to adjust the speed limit for other types of vehicles -- such as 90kph for lorries over 2.2 tonnes or carrying more than 15 passengers and 65kph for three-wheeled vehicles or tow trucks, 80kph for ordinary motorcycles and 110kph for super bikes of 400cc, and above.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 27, 2021, 6:07 pm

AS they seem NOT to be closing U Turns on most of the Dual Carriageways arounf Udon, this new speed limit will not apply. Having said that I get passed by most going into town, even Small motorbikes with kids not wearing helmets, motorbikes screaming at 100 KPH .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 27, 2021, 7:25 pm

^ Is it: “Get a move on, you’re causing a dangerous tailback” screamed in some foreign language you’re not really familiar with?

Asking for a concerned safe road user

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 28, 2021, 6:59 am

Sorry I thought this was about Speed Limits, nothing to do with people possibly shouting which in any event at 100plus KPH would be lost in the ether in any event.
What I have noticed is the lessening of irritated drivers generally, people not coming up right behind you and flashing lights, but I have noticed more people HOGGING the outside lane , they are normally the ones causing problems.
Good Drivers deal with this sensibly , the others probably end up in a hospital or morgue

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 28, 2021, 11:13 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 28, 2021, 6:59 am
Sorry I thought this was about Speed Limits, nothing to do with people possibly shouting which in any event at 100plus KPH would be lost in the ether in any event.
What I have noticed is the lessening of irritated drivers generally, people not coming up right behind you and flashing lights, but I have noticed more people HOGGING the outside lane , they are normally the ones causing problems.
Good Drivers deal with this sensibly , the others probably end up in a hospital or morgue
You said they were screaming at you which is why I asked what they were shouting

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 28, 2021, 11:38 am

Niggly wrote:
February 28, 2021, 11:13 am
Khun Paul wrote:
You said they were screaming at you which is why I asked what they were shouting
No what I actually said was that the Motorbikes were screaming, as in engine noise going so fast with illegal exhausts I expect, but not actually getting out and s5topping them that is conjecture.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 28, 2021, 12:15 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
Outside lane hoggers on the Mitrpharp Highway 2 tend to do that because the nearside lane surface has been damaged by heavy trucks. I know I do.

On 3-lane motorways and highways, I reckon the biggest problem are the middle-lane hoggers going slower than some traffic on their left.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 28, 2021, 12:28 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 28, 2021, 11:38 am

No what I actually said was that the Motorbikes were screaming, as in engine noise going so fast with illegal exhausts I expect, but not actually getting out and s5topping them that is conjecture.
Oh, poor literary output then, it didn’t read like that was what you meant. Carry on.

Out of curiosity, what device are you using to ascertain speed & loudness to determine they’re illegal? I suspect it’s the same one you were using to claim I was driving too fast but benefit of the doubt & all that, what is it?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 28, 2021, 1:52 pm

What scares me most is people in the far left lane going ridiculously slow, or those that enter into a highway and poke along without trying to match the speed of the oncoming traffic. It's an accident waiting to happen! In the States there is a 40 mile per hour minimum in the slow lane of traffic. I don't know of any minimum speed limit here in the slow lanes.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 28, 2021, 5:31 pm

You are correct there is Zero roads with minimum speed except perhaps so I was told on toll-ways. When you consider the Driving licence test never deals with joining roads and the rules you should follow then it is hardly surprising, as the test is conducted in a pristine environment with ZERO oncoming traffic then it is hardly surprising. Accelerator control is definitely NOT taught here, neither is changing down to turn, therefore the vehicle splutters along in 4 th gear or maybe 5th until speed picks up

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 28, 2021, 5:42 pm

Niggly wrote:
February 28, 2021, 12:28 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
February 28, 2021, 11:38 am

Oh, poor literary output then, it didn’t read like that was what you meant. Carry on.

Out of curiosity, what device are you using to ascertain speed & loudness to determine they’re illegal? I suspect it’s the same one you were using to claim I was driving too fast but benefit of the doubt & all that, what is it?
Simply put if I am going at 90Kph and a motorbike passes me he is obviously going faster and the speed he passes me tells me approx how much faster he is going, it is pure estimate based on years of experience . Plus I use common-sense.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 28, 2021, 7:21 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 28, 2021, 5:42 pm
Simply put if I am going at 90Kph and a motorbike passes me he is obviously going faster and the speed he passes me tells me approx how much faster he is going, it is pure estimate based on years of experience . Plus I use common-sense.
So the vehicle in question has to physically pass you then for you to guess the speed?
That makes all your previous allegations against me & my driving complete hogwash then.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”