Scot scran

General Udon Thani topics only!
papafarang
udonmap.com

Re: Scot scran

Post by papafarang » January 17, 2021, 10:40 am

I think I'll let the northern brethren fight it oot . another question , what time of year can you go haggis hunting, do you shoot them or trap them ?

Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2021, 10:41 am

^^^ The trick is finely chopped and fried onions that blends in easily with the ground sheep meat. Nobody wants chunks of onion in any pie. The Scots fields and gardens are pretty bereft of anything flavorful when it comes to veg so onions make the pies special.

Traditional footie style (standing up and watching the game), you hold it in your cupped hand, tilted at about 45 degrees and eat the bloody thing. The harder, crisp pastry keeps it all together.

You can squirt gravy or broon sauce in the air hole on the pastry lid if you want a soggy mess before it's finished. If you must have gravy, then it is better served on a plate like it's inferior southern equivalent.

If required, I can bring Scottish pie-eating training wheels to today's lunch session but bring you own pelican bibs.

Mint sauce? In a Scottish pie? You're 'aving a larf, eh?

PS: Onions are also included in hand-held Aberdeen braddies or Forfar Bridies... looks like a Cornish pasty but far, far superior. These are typically made with minced beef whereas the pie is minced sheep.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 17, 2021, 11:16 am

And there was me thinking the only veg in Scotland was potatoes and baked beans
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2021, 11:20 am

^ Neeps an' tatties... that's yer lot.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 17, 2021, 11:39 am

When I was young my mother used to put all the left overs into a pie dish and bake her own pies but there was one of the traditional family owned bakers (the ones where the bakers worked through the night and fresh morning rolls etc which were available throughout the night and deliveries started around 6am) near us who made their own Scotch Pies. They would sell the empty pie shells so that people could put their own fillings in and finish baking. Had a few haggis pies etc before they become fashionable. Before the bells around the ankles brigade pipe in, 'no' never had a Mars Bar pie.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 17, 2021, 12:02 pm

tamada wrote:
January 17, 2021, 11:20 am
^ Neeps an' tatties... that's yer lot.
Tams not too far off.
I still remember the French guys on bicycles roaming about selling strings of onions brought over from France.
Onion Johnnies they used to called. Onions were an expensive luxury back in the late 50's/early 60's.
Tam and DR only started putting onions in the recipes when The Black Gold was discovered.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » January 17, 2021, 12:25 pm

Jockynese footy style pies are superb, one of my favourites, I've also taken to eating porridge oats lately too, worrying.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

broon97
udonmap.com

Post by broon97 » January 17, 2021, 12:42 pm

papafarang wrote:
January 17, 2021, 8:56 am
broon97 wrote:
January 16, 2021, 4:44 pm
No onion.
Do you do Tattie (potato) scones?
Your in luck .we always have mash left over from Sunday so I will make some tomorrow. They freeze well too which means perfect for us.
Put some in the freezer for me. Will arrange for someone to pickup for me

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2021, 6:47 pm

^ How's the kilt fitting going vince?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2021, 6:55 pm

Quick note for the Sassenachs who have snapped up Papa's first foray into Scottish pies and whose only other hot water pastry experience may be with Englander pork pies, DON'T EAT THEM COLD!

Bung them in the microwave for 30 secs, 1 minute tops (or 5 minutes in the toaster oven or girly-man sized air fryer) and eat them warm to hot. Add your broon sauce or gravy through the hole in the lid AFTER the aforementioned heating.

This Jock scran public information announcement brought to you by tam.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 17, 2021, 8:33 pm

tamada wrote:
January 17, 2021, 6:55 pm
Quick note for the Sassenachs who have snapped up Papa's first foray into Scottish pies and whose only other hot water pastry experience may be with Englander pork pies, DON'T EAT THEM COLD!

Bung them in the microwave for 30 secs, 1 minute tops (or 5 minutes in the toaster oven or girly-man sized air fryer) and eat them warm to hot. Add your broon sauce or gravy through the hole in the lid AFTER the aforementioned heating.

This Jock scran public information announcement brought to you by tam.
There not good strait out the freezer either

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 17, 2021, 8:43 pm

Splendid afternoon of snacks beverage n banter .. after an excellent Sunday roast (at 7pm)..

Lends me to add a late yuletide tune ..

4 mini scotch heggs
3 Jok pies
2 bread n butter puddings
and
1 really big fat sausage roll (for tomorrow)

and a smashing 8 bottles of Chang

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 17, 2021, 8:52 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 17, 2021, 8:43 pm
Splendid afternoon of snacks beverage n banter .. after an excellent Sunday roast (at 7pm)..

Lends me to add a late yuletide tune ..

4 mini scotch heggs
3 Jok pies
2 bread n butter puddings
and
1 really big fat sausage roll (for tomorrow)

and a smashing 8 bottles of Chang

DM
Don't matter what time of year ,every Sunday feels festive

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 17, 2021, 8:56 pm

yep .. lovely jovial atmos today .. i saw at least 8 people smile and 3 laugh outloud including a gaffaw .. most unsual
nowadays ..

Pleased yo have requested my roast put asisde as sold out bt 2 - 3pm .. no mash but 4 Yorkshire puds mad up for it

DM

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » January 17, 2021, 9:07 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 17, 2021, 8:56 pm
yep .. lovely jovial atmos today .. i saw at least 8 people smile and 3 laugh outloud including a gaffaw .. most unsual
nowadays ..

Pleased yo have requested my roast put asisde as sold out bt 2 - 3pm .. no mash but 4 Yorkshire puds mad up for it

DM
Outstanding day Jon. My apologise to the people that missed out. The only down point was the scot on the other side shouting 'wee wanna ooneeon' . what ever that means in english

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 17, 2021, 9:20 pm

That would be "Onion" in Jokenese .. and claiming that highland scotch pies are the same as Lowland .. which we now know is folly .. it appears from my investigations each tartan clan has their own recipe for Scotch pies .. with the strangest being in Abroath (where ever that is) .. where they actually use pigeon (with onion) instead of lamb without.

BTW the haggis shooting season starts on August the 12 th and coincides witht he UK grouse season.

DM

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 17, 2021, 10:36 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 17, 2021, 9:20 pm
That would be "Onion" in Jokenese .. and claiming that highland scotch pies are the same as Lowland .. which we now know is folly .. it appears from my investigations each tartan clan has their own recipe for Scotch pies .. with the strangest being in Abroath (where ever that is) .. where they actually use pigeon (with onion) instead of lamb without.

BTW the haggis shooting season starts on August the 12 th and coincides witht he UK grouse season.

DM
Ah DM, wrong again. Haggis shooting season is around the 3rd of January to last Friday or near as possible to the 18thJan. It is the time when most Scots are sobering up from our New Year celebrations and saving our groats for the next big bash, Burns night. The poor wee haggi is dispatched as humanely as possible then stuffed into a sheep's stomach and slowly poached until it becomes the food of the gods. Taken with copious amounts of an amber liquid who's aroma beats any poofy gin by a mile, a feast to be remembered albeit in a bit of a haze. Just remember we are all Jock Tamson's bairn's.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 17, 2021, 10:57 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
January 17, 2021, 9:02 am
At yours later Dean please can you put my name on a couple of the Jok pies ... love lamb.

DM
You must be rich.
When I was a lad (hovis music playing) lamb was only for Royalty and those that had servants in the basement. The rest of us had to do with the meat from auld rams who could not get it up anymore and ewes whose baby (lambs) producing days were over. Hence mutton was quite a common meat for the working class. If you did fancy a wee bit of lamb but were caught nicking it then you were either publicly hanged or sent to live in Australia (make up your own mind which was worse) Never see mutton on sale now in the UK dont know where it goes but not common at all nowadays.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2021, 6:47 am

^ Ye dinnae shoot haggises ye big daftie. Ye stalk them wi' yer haggis huntin' dugs and when ye catch een, ye strangle the bugger. Therrs nuthin' worse than pickin' shot pellets oot o' yet month when eatin' haggis.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 18, 2021, 6:48 am

Whaur's th' rowies?

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”