renew drivers license

General Udon Thani topics only!
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: renew drivers license

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2021, 4:15 pm

Not quite correct .. RENEWALS of existing expiring DLs are still being processed ..

The question was and still remains what about insurance in the event of an rta... IMO folks need to check this out with their respective insurers as i did then made the decision to renew my DLs sooner rather than later.

A simple phone call or email to ask should suffice.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 18, 2021, 6:55 pm

For the life of me I can't figure why there is so much paranoia, in this thread, about licensing and insurance.
A very good friend living here for 》25 years has only had a Thai license for 4 year. Full 1st class vehicle insurance, 2 claims one was 18 years ago = No question, accepted his UK license on one and never questioned the other.
Me, 1 claim on my (Mrs Dero's) 18 yo DMax didn't worry about my licence status. Prang between me and a Samlor. Exceptional service, Mittare Insurance.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 18, 2021, 7:08 pm

^ YMMV
TiT
TiUT

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 19, 2021, 6:56 am

tamada wrote:
April 18, 2021, 7:08 pm
^ YMMV
TiT
TiUT
Neither can I a simple phone call/email would suffice, howev er some seem unable to even do that. Show a sad situation when people will not use commonsense.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 8:40 am

Here's what roojai told me.

Dear <tamada>,

Thank you for contacting Roojai. We are writing to inform you that we also cover an expired license during this suspension. However, please renew it as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Roojai.com"

YMMV
TiT

tam

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 19, 2021, 8:58 am

tamada wrote:
April 19, 2021, 8:40 am
Here's what roojai told me.

Dear <tamada>,

Thank you for contacting Roojai. We are writing to inform you that we also cover an expired license during this suspension. However, please renew it as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Roojai.com"

YMMV
TiT

tam
Thanks for the update from Roojar Tam .. im predicting most insurance companies will cover an expired license WITHIN THE AMMESTY /SUSPENSION period ... but also to reiterate , there isnt really a cause for anyone not to RENEW an expiring DL as still being processed ..unless that changes TIT.

Send my love to Doris.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 19, 2021, 2:30 pm

Niggly wrote:
April 19, 2021, 10:59 am

& I still don’t have an insurance company to ask

This thread has got legs
So what did your rental car's insurance company say?

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 19, 2021, 2:37 pm

Dunno, I haven’t asked them. Good shout remembering my car is a rental 😂

You may have also noticed I’ve only just renewed my license therefore it’s not expired so this would not be applicable to me anyway.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

daithic
udonmap.com

Post by daithic » June 8, 2021, 7:55 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 8, 2021, 1:26 pm
Here is some current accurate info as a heads up for anyone about to renew their DLs in the coming weeks /months.

I wasnt looking forward to renewing both my Car n Motorsai license as heard Nong Soon on HW2 KK rd was very busy due to the AEK / Central offices now being closed .. also due to covid they dont allow you to watch the vid at the office only on line for which you need a yellow house book and/or pink ID card.. more hoops to jump thru ...SO .. an option as i have just done today and it worked out splendidly ..

Was given the heads up by a Brummie mate over Sunday lunch to use the Nong Han transport office which is located about 25kms up HW 22 going towards Sakorn Nakorn about 3 kms before you get to Nong Han on the left side .. it is sign posted in Thai when 1km away and easy to find on google maps n their FB page.

Took 20 - 25 mins to get there .. arrived 8:45 am (Seemed like a lot of ppl already there but counted only 16 doing DLs renewals with others doing other stuff like car book transfers , vehicle mods registration etc etc ).
Temp check at front door.
Girl at door checked docs n gave me an ORANGE q card (for license RENEWAL) and a form which just needed my full name and phone number.
Went in handed docs to counter 2 kept the orange q card.
Went upstairs 1st floor
Signed in again for covid.
Did a traffic light colour test
Into AC room watch vid 45 mins .. excellent viewing ;)
Movie time over back downstairs and paid at counter 2 total 760 bt ( 505 car / 255 Mc)
Wait 10 mins name called photo taken
Wait 5 mins name called pick up 2 new 5 yr licenses n out the door at 10:30 am
Brilliant

DOCS ** a set for each license car and mc (so 2 immo letters n 2 med certs)

Passport copy picture page and current visa page
Letter from Immo confirming address cost (500bt x 2 from Udon immo day before) give them the originals
Medical cert done at a clinic near Immo day before 120 bt

I went at the peak time and still a quick n painless service .. the second vid viewing was only 4 ppl in room so maybe better to avoid the first session n go for the second or third in the afternoon.

Hope that helps any members and only posted as an option to the big and very busy Nong Soon transport office. ..in the future i shall use this office for anything regarding transport , vehicles etc , buying selling name address changes green books etc , also an MOT station on site and small Thai eatery n smoothie stand...nice friendly helpful staff.

DM ... good to go another 5 years of joyous Thai motoring ..
UPDATE FROM TODAY:
Went to Nonghan with a spring in my step, thanks to John's post. That was soon to be replaced by the usual frustration at dealing with Thai governmental organisations.
All docs were ok. However, she pointed out that I hadn't completed the online training i.e. watched the video John referred to, but the online version. Apparently, they aren't doing any screenings at the actual office at Nonghan. No free popcorn either. You have to register online and watch it there. The catch....need a Thai ID card number to register so foreigners without one can't register to watch the video. Therefore, foreigners can't renew.

So, what about letting me watch the video in a room here and now since I am the only one here and can't infect myself with Covid? "Sorry, cannot."

What if I'm caught by the fuzz driving on an expired licence? "Talk to them and explain. I'm sure they'll understand."

When will the office resume showing the video? "Maybe the end of this month. Maybe not."

What if it doesn't open at the end of the month? "Don't know."

Will my 500THB raping at the hands of Immigration for a letter that should be free, need to be repeated or will you accept this letter (dated yesterday)? "We will accept it." Good to hear but nothing in writing to confirm this so I expect to be out of pocket again if Nonghan resumes the video after the 30 days the Immigration letter is valid for.

Same for the medical certificate.

Interestingly, when I relayed this story to a PDC visa staff member, she told me two of her customers went to Nongsoong last week to renew their licences. Apparently, they were able to watch the video there, but only after booking an appointment time. Can anyone confirm this to be fact? If so, how does one go about making such a booking? Is there an online facility that accepts passport numbers or driving licence numbers, instead of Thai ID cards?

Cheers all.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 8, 2021, 8:49 pm

My wife called Nong Soon on my behalf about licence renewal. Told if not Thai cannot watch video online. Told 'come back next year, you still have 10 months left before you have to renew'! (remaining time on the 12 month lee way for renewal).

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 8, 2021, 9:10 pm

rick wrote:
June 8, 2021, 8:49 pm
Told if not Thai cannot watch video online.
You can watch on line if you have a pink ID card

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 9, 2021, 10:55 am

Niggly wrote:
June 8, 2021, 9:10 pm
rick wrote:
I know, but do not have one.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 9, 2021, 11:05 am

rick wrote:
June 9, 2021, 10:55 am
Niggly wrote:
June 8, 2021, 9:10 pm
rick wrote:
I know, but do not have one.
That’s not the same as
rick wrote:

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 9, 2021, 11:10 am

Well what the wife was told and theory here in Thailand is always a grey area, Ask the same question of a Thai employee on 2 separate occaisions, you will get 3 different answers. Anyway, quite content to wait.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 9, 2021, 11:28 am

daithic wrote:
June 8, 2021, 7:55 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 8, 2021, 1:26 pm
Here is some current accurate info as a heads up for anyone about to renew their DLs in the coming weeks /months.

I wasnt looking forward to renewing both my Car n Motorsai license as heard Nong Soon on HW2 KK rd was very busy due to the AEK / Central offices now being closed .. also due to covid they dont allow you to watch the vid at the office only on line for which you need a yellow house book and/or pink ID card.. more hoops to jump thru ...SO .. an option as i have just done today and it worked out splendidly ..

Was given the heads up by a Brummie mate over Sunday lunch to use the Nong Han transport office which is located about 25kms up HW 22 going towards Sakorn Nakorn about 3 kms before you get to Nong Han on the left side .. it is sign posted in Thai when 1km away and easy to find on google maps n their FB page.

Took 20 - 25 mins to get there .. arrived 8:45 am (Seemed like a lot of ppl already there but counted only 16 doing DLs renewals with others doing other stuff like car book transfers , vehicle mods registration etc etc ).
Temp check at front door.
Girl at door checked docs n gave me an ORANGE q card (for license RENEWAL) and a form which just needed my full name and phone number.
Went in handed docs to counter 2 kept the orange q card.
Went upstairs 1st floor
Signed in again for covid.
Did a traffic light colour test
Into AC room watch vid 45 mins .. excellent viewing ;)
Movie time over back downstairs and paid at counter 2 total 760 bt ( 505 car / 255 Mc)
Wait 10 mins name called photo taken
Wait 5 mins name called pick up 2 new 5 yr licenses n out the door at 10:30 am
Brilliant

DOCS ** a set for each license car and mc (so 2 immo letters n 2 med certs)

Passport copy picture page and current visa page
Letter from Immo confirming address cost (500bt x 2 from Udon immo day before) give them the originals
Medical cert done at a clinic near Immo day before 120 bt

I went at the peak time and still a quick n painless service .. the second vid viewing was only 4 ppl in room so maybe better to avoid the first session n go for the second or third in the afternoon.

Hope that helps any members and only posted as an option to the big and very busy Nong Soon transport office. ..in the future i shall use this office for anything regarding transport , vehicles etc , buying selling name address changes green books etc , also an MOT station on site and small Thai eatery n smoothie stand...nice friendly helpful staff.

DM ... good to go another 5 years of joyous Thai motoring ..
UPDATE FROM TODAY:
Went to Nonghan with a spring in my step, thanks to John's post. That was soon to be replaced by the usual frustration at dealing with Thai governmental organisations.
All docs were ok. However, she pointed out that I hadn't completed the online training i.e. watched the video John referred to, but the online version. Apparently, they aren't doing any screenings at the actual office at Nonghan. No free popcorn either. You have to register online and watch it there. The catch....need a Thai ID card number to register so foreigners without one can't register to watch the video. Therefore, foreigners can't renew.

So, what about letting me watch the video in a room here and now since I am the only one here and can't infect myself with Covid? "Sorry, cannot."

What if I'm caught by the fuzz driving on an expired licence? "Talk to them and explain. I'm sure they'll understand."

When will the office resume showing the video? "Maybe the end of this month. Maybe not."

What if it doesn't open at the end of the month? "Don't know."

Will my 500THB raping at the hands of Immigration for a letter that should be free, need to be repeated or will you accept this letter (dated yesterday)? "We will accept it." Good to hear but nothing in writing to confirm this so I expect to be out of pocket again if Nonghan resumes the video after the 30 days the Immigration letter is valid for.

Same for the medical certificate.

Interestingly, when I relayed this story to a PDC visa staff member, she told me two of her customers went to Nongsoong last week to renew their licences. Apparently, they were able to watch the video there, but only after booking an appointment time. Can anyone confirm this to be fact? If so, how does one go about making such a booking? Is there an online facility that accepts passport numbers or driving licence numbers, instead of Thai ID cards?

Cheers all.
Reading this It appears that Nong Han LTO moved the goal posts just after i renewed ..

DM

Armyvet
udonmap.com

Re: renew drivers license replace lost one

Post by Armyvet » June 16, 2021, 1:37 pm

Ref rono's comment and knowing to never know what to expect with Thai beauracy we didn't waste time driving around town but went straight to the DL building south of town. I had lost of misplaced my DL. We planned to arrived late in the lunch hour and did. Wife did the dialog and frankly we were out of there with a new DL in less than half an hour. All they wanted was copy of passport and visa. I had only taken one copy so they made what they needed, no charge.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 16, 2021, 1:53 pm

Armyvet wrote:
June 16, 2021, 1:37 pm
Ref rono's comment and knowing to never know what to expect with Thai beauracy we didn't waste time driving around town but went straight to the DL building south of town. I had lost of misplaced my DL. We planned to arrived late in the lunch hour and did. Wife did the dialog and frankly we were out of there with a new DL in less than half an hour. All they wanted was copy of passport and visa. I had only taken one copy so they made what they needed, no charge.
Go buy a lottery ticket.

NOW!!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 16, 2021, 1:59 pm

Armyvet wrote:
June 16, 2021, 1:37 pm
Really that simple ? To be honest , Ive had a lot of dealings with this office over the years and never a problem
Well just one . Pre covid it could get a little hectic at times . Other than that , great service for a government establishment .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 16, 2021, 2:45 pm

Went to Nong Hang DLT office yesterday after taking our little beauty in for her snip then picking up my new extension.
No waiting at the vet.
No waiting at immigration. Lady at desk 3 had polite conversation, she seemed to remember me, & she has had both COVID vaccination shots.
No waiting at Nong Hang LTO office who were happy I had all documents and copies for both driving licenses.

Original Medical certificate + copy (cost ฿470 Non Sa-At hospital),
2 copies of LTO proof of watching the video printed.
2 copies of ID page of passport.
2 copies of extension of stay stamp page.
2 copies of pink card.
2 copies of yellow book.
The Only test was proof of colour recognition by naming colours pointed to on chart.
Payment ฿760
I now have 2 new license valid for 5 years 363days with my Thai ID card number

The changes are:
The license number is on the front twice
My address is now in Thai and English on the reverse.
There is a QR code on the back with a 25 number/letter string.

SWMBO also got a new car road tax again no waiting.
Picked up our kitty from the vet around 5 pm
761AB5BC-0B9D-419A-91BB-CA58A91B4E75.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 16, 2021, 3:17 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 16, 2021, 2:45 pm

Original Medical certificate + copy (cost ฿470 Non Sa-At hospital),
I guess lesson learnt here for those counting the Satang is don’t use Non Sa-At hospital for the medical certificate.
The clinic just past the DLT office on the road into Nong Han charges B100 (as does the clinic just before the Non Sung office)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”