renew drivers license

General Udon Thani topics only!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: renew drivers license

Post by jackspratt » March 1, 2021, 4:51 pm

tamada wrote:
March 1, 2021, 4:44 pm

Thanks for that clarification. Just to further dilute the YMMV factor, did you have a Thai DL before you acquired the yellow book and pink card? If so, they may have used your passport number originally and then changed it to the locally issued ID during a subsequent renewal?
Yes - initially used my passport number, and then changed to yellow book after I got one.

Probably just as well, as I think I have had 3 new passports since arriving due to various factors.

ps - I haven't bothered getting a pink card.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 1, 2021, 5:00 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 1, 2021, 4:51 pm
tamada wrote:

Thanks for that clarification. Just to further dilute the YMMV factor, did you have a Thai DL before you acquired the yellow book and pink card? If so, they may have used your passport number originally and then changed it to the locally issued ID during a subsequent renewal?
Yes - initially used my passport number, and then changed to yellow book after I got one.

Probably just as well, as I think I have had 3 new passports since arriving due to various factors.

Good to know js, thanks. My passport will need renewing before the Thai DL does so I will see if they'll do the switcheroo to the yellow book number at that time. It's the same number as the pinkie anyway.

If I remember...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 1, 2021, 7:11 pm

tamada wrote:
March 1, 2021, 5:00 pm
jackspratt wrote:
March 1, 2021, 4:51 pm
tamada wrote:

Good to know js, thanks. My passport will need renewing before the Thai DL does so I will see if they'll do the switcheroo to the yellow book number at that time. It's the same number as the pinkie anyway.

If I remember...
There is the house book number and the ID card number, both are in the yellow book, the house book number is the same as the blue house book number.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 8, 2021, 4:33 pm

Well that's 3+ hours of my life I won't get back.

It was still raining & my licenses expire on the 28th of this month so decided to fill in the DLT page & watch the video. All went swimmingly, answered the questions (same as FrazeeDK), watched the video, answered the questions again & printed off the certificate which is good for 90 days. Then printed off the medical form (just in case) & filled in the top section. I understand its better to wait until the 29th to visit as I will be given nearly 6 years as the license is valid for my next 5 birthdays so off I'll trot then.
Licenses have my passport number so think I'll try & get this changed to my ID number.

Mrs N was watching me so chimed in she wanted to renew her license as well which eagle eyed viewers will know expired in 2019.
Back into the system but you have to select a different option as the license expired more than a year ago. Different questions (see below for a bit of fun if anyone wants to play along), watch a TWO hour video 💤 💤, answer the questions again & printed off the certificate.

Pre-training test (translated by Google)

What is speed etiquette?
[1] Use the speed according to the law.
[2] Exceeding the legal speed limit when overtaking the car
[3] When there are no people in the community, the speed can be used immediately.
[4] Safe driving must not exceed 60 kilometers per hour.

Which of these is not the preparation for using the car?
[1] Check brakes
[2] Check the water in the car pot
[3] Check the electrical systems in the car.
[4] Check vehicle air conditioning usage

Which of these is the etiquette of driving in opposite directions?
[1] Driving in the lane and there is no need to reduce speed.
[2] Driving against each other at night, press the warning horn.
[3] Drive the car on the left edge, keeping the lane dividing as the main point.
[4] Smaller cars must have bigger cars drive first.

Why is it prohibited to turn on emergency lights while driving?
[1] Confusing other drivers, making the wrong decisions
[2] The light will disturb the eyes of other drivers.
[3] Causing the battery to deteriorate quickly
[4] Causing the lamp to deteriorate faster than normal

What is correct about a personal temporary driver's license?
[1] A temporary personal driver's license, valid for 1 year, can be used as evidence to obtain a 5-year personal driving license.
[2] Temporary personal driver's license is valid for 1 year.
[3] Those wishing to apply for a temporary personal motorcycle driver's license must be 18 years of age.
[4] A temporary personal driver's license can be used to drive a taxi driver
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 8, 2021, 5:58 pm

Forget the translation errors and let me guess:-
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 8, 2021, 6:00 pm

what is the website address to process the video and get an acceptance number?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 8, 2021, 6:07 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
March 8, 2021, 5:58 pm
Hold that thought in case anyone else wants to play

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 8, 2021, 6:15 pm

Whistler wrote:
March 8, 2021, 6:00 pm
what is the website address to process the video and get an acceptance number?
I guess by process you mean watch but I don’t know what you mean by acceptance number?.

I used the website posted by FrazeeDK at the start of this thread. It just ended up with a page to print showing my ID number (entered at the start), “Renewed Training”, today’s date & “Training results last 90 days”

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 8, 2021, 6:37 pm

Thanks Niggly,

but without pink card I think I am stuffed
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 8, 2021, 6:45 pm

Yes, it would appear so from what was said earlier. However, same number is in my Yellow Book so that should work if you have one of those

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 10, 2021, 10:25 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
March 8, 2021, 5:58 pm
1 ✅
4 ✅
3 ✅
1 ✅
1 ✅
No other drivers, professional or otherwise, rose to the challenge which surprised me a bit. We have a member with direct contact with the testing station & is personal friends with the head examiner you know.
Nevermind, I'll just have to mark the work that has been submitted..................yes, all correct

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 10, 2021, 10:39 am

Did mine yesterday.

Friend advised doing it at Nong Bua Lamphu about the same distance for me than the one on KK Road. mistake!

I had my medical, passport and old license but they needed permission note from Immigration with my mug shot. The answer is almost certainly TIT, but if you have a visa and you have a picture in your passport, why the letter? Of course if you have Yellowbook/Pink card then you do not need the immigration letter. What on earth does immigration have to do with holding a driver's license?

Drove to Udon, had photo taken, by this time Immigration was closed for lunch.

Got letter from Immigration, 500 bhat for simply confirming what was already in passport.

Drove to License place on Hwy 2. Reaction test, colour blind test front on and colour blind test using peripheral vision.

Photo taken, license given 505 bhat.

took about 5 hours if in OZ it would have taken 10 minutes.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 10, 2021, 10:40 am

I remember when I sat for my original license about 2002 in Nong Han. The questionnaire was written in Thai so they let Mrs Dero sit with me and translate, she had NEVER driven so was no help and the translations were dodgy at best. She talked about "Zigzag", driving at night without lights, driving the wrong way up a one way road etc.
= Overtaking
= Military Vehicles
= When it is safe to do so - 555555

Anyway I managed to get 18/25 - 20 being the pass mark, the examiner showed me mercy and had me change some answers to pass. These questions were there, something one never forgets.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 11, 2021, 9:18 am

Whistler wrote:
March 10, 2021, 10:39 am
Did mine yesterday.

Friend advised doing it at Nong Bua Lamphu about the same distance for me than the one on KK Road. mistake!

I had my medical, passport and old license but they needed permission note from Immigration with my mug shot. The answer is almost certainly TIT, but if you have a visa and you have a picture in your passport, why the letter? Of course if you have Yellowbook/Pink card then you do not need the immigration letter. What on earth does immigration have to do with holding a driver's license?

Drove to Udon, had photo taken, by this time Immigration was closed for lunch.

Got letter from Immigration, 500 bhat for simply confirming what was already in passport.

Drove to License place on Hwy 2. Reaction test, colour blind test front on and colour blind test using peripheral vision.

Photo taken, license given 505 bhat.

took about 5 hours if in OZ it would have taken 10 minutes.
Go get it in Oz then
My bet is against waiting 10 mins as well

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 10:46 am

Great idea goosy noosy, Slight problem is they don't issue Thai drivers licenses.

The point of my post was the excessive bureaucratic process here and to give a heads up about the immigration involvement that just might save others on here from being caught out the same way, it seems processes are in place for no other reason than to have a complex process.

However, as you like being a smarty pants on almost every occasion, I am not surprised that you had a snarky comment to make

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » March 11, 2021, 11:17 am

images (42).jpg
images (42).jpg (4.87 KiB) Viewed 2662 times

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 11, 2021, 12:05 pm

^^ Don't you think that accepting your friends bad advice on going to NBLP and ignoring all the current advice on Thai DL renewal at Nong Sung that's recently been posted by your UM peers is the real issue here?

Petty bureaucracy and the perpetual risk of a differing local interpretation and rules is a true Thai constant.

However, your informative post may come in handy for someone that wants to try their hand at a renewal in NBLP in the future with the usual caveats of YMMV and TiT.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 11, 2021, 12:51 pm

NK procedure is quite different.
Step 1. Go to the Driver's License office and explain you need to renew.
Step 2. They hand you a form to take to Immigration and complete, despite showing them your Yellow book and pinkie.
Step 3. Take the form to Imm where they take it and inform you they'll call you when its finished -- in about a week.
Step 4. When Imm calls a week later, go pick up the form and take it to the Driver's License to complete the process.
Step 5. Drivers Branch will schedule you for a day in the future (about a week) to take your test.
Step 6. Arrive at Drivers branch to take your test.

Ahh paradise.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 11, 2021, 8:21 pm

Giggle wrote:
March 11, 2021, 12:51 pm
NK procedure is quite different.
Step 1. Go to the Driver's License office and explain you need to renew.
Step 2. They hand you a form to take to Immigration and complete, despite showing them your Yellow book and pinkie.
Step 3. Take the form to Imm where they take it and inform you they'll call you when its finished -- in about a week.
Step 4. When Imm calls a week later, go pick up the form and take it to the Driver's License to complete the process.
Step 5. Drivers Branch will schedule you for a day in the future (about a week) to take your test.
Step 6. Arrive at Drivers branch to take your test.

Ahh paradise.
Or avoid all that and take a drive down to Udon as you can renew in any DLT office.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 11, 2021, 8:58 pm

tamada wrote:
March 11, 2021, 12:05 pm
^^ Don't you think that accepting your friends bad advice on going to NBLP and ignoring all the current advice on Thai DL renewal at Nong Sung that's recently been posted by your UM peers is the real issue here?

Petty bureaucracy and the perpetual risk of a differing local interpretation and rules is a true Thai constant.

However, your informative post may come in handy for someone that wants to try their hand at a renewal in NBLP in the future with the usual caveats of YMMV and TiT.
100% right. What works in NBLP may not work in BKK, may be OK for Udon, may not work in KK, maybe be fine for Chang Mai, may be spot on for Pattaya, maybe iffy for Phuket, Maybe brilliant in Trat, Maybe passable for Rayong, maybe correct for Tuesday for any province starting with 'T'.......etc

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”