renew drivers license

General Udon Thani topics only!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: renew drivers license

Post by Khun Paul » April 17, 2021, 3:50 pm

You know as I do that Insurance comp[anies will act as they see fit, they may try to wriggle out if they can find a problem with the car, its mechanics or any reason they damn well think thay can use, but here Holding a Valid licence is not one of the reasons, Being drunk may be and being stupid will also figure ( speeding /too many in a car,, illegal modifications etc ) I do not know , Insurance companies are the same the world over nothing is guaranteed, if you Niggly are looking for that ask your insurance company try talking to the people that insure you. Then you will have it from the horses mouth and stop asking damn fool questions on here.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 17, 2021, 4:14 pm

I think you will find that if a claim is made with regard to a vehicle insurance policy due to an accident the insurance company will prior to commencing any repairs take a copy of photo ID .. this is your ID card , Passport and/or drivers license from which they can check the driver status .. that was personal experience recently and my Virahya insurance agent confirmed as such whilst we were at Toyota booking the truck in and completing the claim documentation.

All my ducks were in a row but im sure if my DL was invalid for any reason it would have pulled up the claim.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 17, 2021, 4:19 pm

The current fine for driving without a valid license is 2000 bt .. this looks like being waved until 30th June due to covid.

NB.. renewal of existing expiring licenses are still being processed just no new license applications which involve a test in are being done.

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 17, 2021, 4:37 pm

Remembering the time line of my recent RTA insurance claim.

Accident in Ubon
Virahya insurance attended scene.. all good still safe n ok to drive.

Returned to udon met the insurance agent at Toyota repair center where they inspected the car and photographed damage at this time i was asked to supply my original insurance policy, passport and DL... when i asked why and my agent told me to check my legal status to be here and drive on the roads etc.

I left Toyota with the truck and waited until my claim was processed and a date to take back to repair...

1 WEEK LATER

Truck went into Toyota and repaired was away 5 days for which i received 5000 bt / 1000 bt per day it was off the road.

I have always used Virahya with my vehicles..yes i can fine a cheaper option but the service i have and still receive from Joe the local agent is second to none.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 17, 2021, 8:40 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 17, 2021, 3:50 pm
You know as I do that Insurance comp[anies will act as they see fit, they may try to wriggle out if they can find a problem with the car, its mechanics or any reason they damn well think thay can use, but here Holding a Valid licence is not one of the reasons, Being drunk may be and being stupid will also figure ( speeding /too many in a car,, illegal modifications etc ) I do not know , Insurance companies are the same the world over nothing is guaranteed, if you Niggly are looking for that ask your insurance company try talking to the people that insure you. Then you will have it from the horses mouth and stop asking damn fool questions on here.
Not facts & still not a sensible answer to the question of will insurance companies pay out if your license has expired during the DLT & RTP amnesty

Believe this drivel at your own risk readers

PS
I still do not have my own insurance company so can’t ask them
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 18, 2021, 6:58 am

I think the point we are all trying to make someone understand, is that in truth as Insurance companies use their discretion, they can if they so wish , refuse to cover you if they wish to an d NOT having a valid Driving licence may be the reason. As I said previously ASK your own Insurance Company .simple

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2021, 7:14 am

I think in "normal" times having an invalid drivers license would make an insurance claim difficult and could be used by the company to refuse the claim ..however a claim during the license ammesty due to covid is another question that until it happens no one can answer accurately.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 18, 2021, 8:07 am

Presumably show expired one (unable to renew ) would work as opposed to not having one in the first place .

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2021, 8:31 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 18, 2021, 8:07 am
Presumably show expired one (unable to renew ) would work as opposed to not having one in the first place .
Dunnoif that would stand up ok with the insurance Co as RENEWALS of expired licenses are still being processed its just new applications that have ceased , i think thats due to the test part of the application as its done in a classroom group setting where as renewals thres no test only a few second traffic light and a vid ,, the video i watched very recently at Nong Han LTO was social distanced.

No excuse at all not to renew an expired license...again immo for the insurance Co to POSSIBLY halt a claim.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 18, 2021, 8:40 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 18, 2021, 8:31 am
Khun Paul wrote:
Dunnoif that would stand up ok with the insurance Co as RENEWALS of expired licenses are still being processed its just new applications that have ceased , i think thats due to the test part of the application as its done in a classroom group setting where as renewals thres no test only a few second traffic light and a vid ,, the video i watched very recently at Nong Han LTO was social distanced.

No excuse at all not to renew an expired license...again immo for the insurance Co to POSSIBLY halt a claim.

DM
Scaremongering.

Why don't you ask Joe, your loyal and reliable Virayah insurance agent?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2021, 8:43 am

tamada wrote:
April 18, 2021, 8:40 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:

DM
Scaremongering.

I DID :D henceforth i renewed my DL earlier than was required ... thats why the information i posted is accurate...alas my superb insurance Virahya agent Joe can only comment on Virahya policy and no other company.

DM

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 18, 2021, 8:54 am

If your license has expired just do what both the police and insurance agents do and and say that someone else in the car was driving and use their license.

FWIW The only time I’ve been stopped at a speed check the police used SWMBO’s license and we got a ticket for no license, she had it and produced it (฿300 fine) instead of a (฿1,000) speeding fine.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2021, 9:11 am

STWW makes decent point .. the amount of KMs i do i get stopped all the time and asked to produce my license this is usually in police road tax paid check points, i believe to get the tax disk displayed in the window of the car the the vehicle must have least 3rd party insurance ..not sure about That but can always ask VIRAHYA Joe ..hes the man.

Still bearing in mind renewals are still being processed IMO its easier to just renew your DLs as required and stay legal

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 18, 2021, 9:18 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
April 18, 2021, 8:43 am
tamada wrote:
April 18, 2021, 8:40 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
Khun Paul wrote:

DM
Scaremongering.

I DID :D henceforth i renewed my DL earlier than was required ... thats why the information i posted is accurate...alas my superb insurance Virahya agent Joe can only comment on Virahya policy and no other company.

DM
So smokin' Joe actually said mai-rue, eh?

Ahh, grasshopper....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » April 18, 2021, 9:30 am

Alas no Tammy .. he was on the ball as normal and carefully explained that presenting an expired license to VIRAHYA is not advisable and would create a problem processing a claim EVEN WITHIN A LICENSE AMMESTY PERIOD .... henceforth i repeat this may differ from one insurance company to another...

** The marvelous Mr Joe can only offer up to date accurate and honest information with regard to Virahya policy rules.**

IMO Its a no brainer driving around with an expired license .. each to their own ideas.

DM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 18, 2021, 10:00 am

Thanks for the clarification DM. I have e-mailed roojai for their official take on this rather important matter.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 18, 2021, 11:23 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 17, 2021, 3:50 pm
So, you’ve bailed out of this conversation seeing as you are clearly wrong & unhelpful to boot although I have seen a little “insurance company like wiggle” to justify the drivel. It was only a
damn fool question
because I asked it & you were trying to be clever

Let’s face it, you follow me around here like a lost little puppy trying to pick fault.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 18, 2021, 11:53 am

Dear God save me from the know it alls , and the ignorant. Just ask your local Insurance man and stop asking idiotic questions that in truth no-one really has the answer as ALL Insurance companies have a different take probably.
Isked mine , why do you Niggles not ask yours eh ??

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 18, 2021, 11:54 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 18, 2021, 11:53 am
Dear God save me from the know it alls , and the ignorant. Just ask your local Insurance man and stop asking idiotic questions that in truth no-one really has the answer as ALL Insurance companies have a different take probably.
Isked mine , why do you Niggles not ask yours eh ??
I’ve told you already

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 18, 2021, 2:59 pm

[Redacted by moderators]

If your driving licence has expired in Thailand not to worry.

After the Department of Land Transport announced earlier in the week that they are not renewing licences until June 30th the RTP has followed suit.

Gen Damrongsak Kittipraphat has issued orders for police nationwide not to prosecute anyone within an expired licence.

This will be in force until 30th June also, reported Daily News.

This is all because of the third wave of the coronavirus pandemic currently hitting Thailand.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”