Stupidity at it's best....Fire today

General Udon Thani topics only!
marcus1
udonmap.com

Stupidity at it's best....Fire today

Post by marcus1 » March 31, 2021, 5:50 pm

Today one house was lost in Baansansaran due to farmers deciding to burn their vacant land backing onto our village.
The fire was lit in many spots on said land with no thought as what could happen and the worst did happen.
The fire was soon out of control and jumped the wall and all houses backing onto were in quick danger.
One was burnt out very quickly..I have to admit the Udon fire brigade was quick to respond but not before this house was ablaze.
I can not think for the life of me why the fire lighters did not think before they acted that they were putting so many homes at risk through their sheer and utter stupidity in an urban area....TIT once again.
I feel for the home owners coming home and finding their home gutted.

YKICAMOOCOW

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Stupidity at it's best....Fire today

Post by Whistler » March 31, 2021, 7:18 pm

Marcus.

When a house fire starts. it typically takes less than 10 minutes before it is toast. the best the brigades can do is stop the spread. Tile floors in Thailand will probably extend the toast outcome, but wooden walls, thin doors, wooden 2nd story floors etc are otherwise. Very hard for any brigade to get there on time.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 31, 2021, 7:39 pm

Hi Whistler...
The house's in our village and in this soi are only 10 years old at best...No wood at all..Metal structure (roof) and fibris cement...I think the Udon fire brigade did a great job to get there in the time they did...Hats of to them.
They were focused on stopping the fire from reaching further homes and focused on the paddy fields to prevent.
But agree wood built houses are gone in a second. But as I said before burning off in an urban area in 37 degree heat with major villages close by butting up to said land is stupidity.
Once again...Well done Udon thani fire brigade.
YKICAMOOCOW

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 31, 2021, 8:07 pm

Good on them.

I was never a FT firey, 22 years as an RFS volunteer. Most of my incidents were bushfires or MVA's (Motor Vehicle Ancidents). The full time firey's have to enter buildings on fire, I only did this once or twice and nearly crapped my dacks. Helmets off to the good guys that helped in your ban.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 31, 2021, 8:31 pm

Keep an eye on the paddy field marcus, we had a fire in the next field to our village about 5 yrs ago and my neighbours and I had to spend the next 3 weeks "damping down" as little mini fires sprung up everytime the wind changed direction (we had to re call the brigade as it got out of hand 3 more times before it was finally out).

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 31, 2021, 8:42 pm

very good advice Stat, I have seen hollow logs burst into fire months later.. fire will also sustain itself in roots, staying underground for a long time, then emerging when there is sufficient fuel and oxygen

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 31, 2021, 10:08 pm

Where fields are concerned, having a look after dark is a good idea as you see any little glimmer of fire that in daylight is completely invisible to the naked eye......... walking the field with a torch & watering can for a few nights allows you to sleep a hell of a lot easier

marcus1
udonmap.com

Post by marcus1 » March 31, 2021, 10:31 pm

I think I will pass on that one stattointhailand...The bush is way to long (Well not all now) and I have encountered to many snakes over the last 10 years to have a go at them in the dark (4 cobra's and 14 unknown ) and with respect I think I would need a tanker to dampen down the area of this size (About 300 Rai).
Thanks for your advice and comments guys.
YKICAMOOCOW

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”