Death of an Englishman

General Udon Thani topics only!
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Death of an Englishman

Post by Khun Paul » April 14, 2021, 3:35 pm

Andrew Phillip Botham

It is with some sadness I have to advise all those who knew the above mentioned , he passed away at Udon General Hospital, following what was a long silent battle against a form of Blood Infection from wounds sustained at some juncture about 2 years ago which affected both legs.

Although over time the outward infection was under control and was healing, internally the infected blood was circulating until it reared up again and the body was unable to cope, requiring immediate hospitalisation and two operations, sadly that preventative action was too late as the infection had spread to other organs which meant that life was slowly being compromised resulting in his death at 1015 hrs this morning the 14th of April 2021`.

He was an Ex Military man of HM Forces and also a dedicated teacher in Thailand at a few schools, notably P2-4 in Don Bosco latterly.

He he survived by his two children ( both in the UK ) and they are in touch with the Hospital and presumably the Embassy .

What this does teach us all, is that any infection however minor we may think it is, it should be checked out properly by Medical professionals each and every time .

Any further details regarding his subsequent funeral etc, I will immediately notify by this means .

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Death of an Englishman

Post by Doodoo » April 14, 2021, 3:52 pm

Thank you KP

RIP

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » April 15, 2021, 4:22 am

RIP Andy, condolences to the family.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » April 15, 2021, 6:38 am

RIP ( a photo of Andy anybody ? )

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 15, 2021, 6:56 am

timmy wrote:
April 15, 2021, 6:38 am
RIP ( a photo of Andy anybody ? )
Sadly I do not have one and as he lived alone his property and possible photos are being kept under lock and key until instructions from the family are given .

garethbeachbum
udonmap.com

Post by garethbeachbum » April 15, 2021, 9:06 am

I’ve attached a photo of Andy as requested. He was a great guy with a heart of gold, who would do anything for you. As his friend Greg commented yesterday “he’d give you the shirt off his back”. He was a tough bugger and perhaps that contributed to his sad death. He was convinced he could beat the infection but without proper medical care it finally got the better of him. Andy loved his food and drink and always had a story to tell. Such a sad loss, way too young. RIP Andy you’ll be greatly missed.
Attachments
BBA90CD4-B370-4F66-9F52-8BF49F129DBC.jpeg

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » April 15, 2021, 10:19 am

RIP !

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » April 15, 2021, 12:01 pm

Very sad to learn of the death of Andy. I got to know him as a customer when we were on Prajak Road. Our mutual friend, an American, Willard Underburg, lived close to Andy who took care of him. Will’ taught at Don Bosco and when he had a mental breakdown, Andy took his place. Andy was very kind to Will’ and between us and the US Warden in Udon, we were able to get Will’s possessions into some semblance of order for his departure to Charlotte, NC.
RIP Andy, and thanks for your kindness and happy memories

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 16, 2021, 5:31 pm

I can give up to date , info reference Andy. His family having been in touch with the Embassy has informed the lady who had been running around arranging the paperwork,and other matters , those instructions were that NOTHING is to be done until they arrive .
So sadly due to ignorance or stupidity, Andy will reside in the Mortuary of Udon General until as such time as his family arrive and deal not only with him but all his belongings. ( following a quarantine period )
Although offers were made to clean the house , ( which smells no reason known ). secure obvious personal belongings and make safe other attractive items .
So in following direct instructions, the Lady friend nor myself will now not do anything regarding Him or his belongings.

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » April 16, 2021, 9:19 pm

How very sad, but so often the case when people die overseas.
Of course, not for us to judge, but I think that having made the decision to travel such a long way in these covid times, Andy’s family would want to be sure that when they arrive there will be the trappings of Andy’s life for them to ponder over and decide on what to do with any personal effects. They will also have the opportunity to discover the cause of death and more importantly, view his body before cremation. It would nice if any of those who knew him, maybe from this forum, could be there to support his family.
Fuzzyken

garethbeachbum
udonmap.com

Post by garethbeachbum » April 19, 2021, 1:15 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
April 16, 2021, 5:31 pm
I can give up to date , info reference Andy. His family having been in touch with the Embassy has informed the lady who had been running around arranging the paperwork,and other matters , those instructions were that NOTHING is to be done until they arrive .
So sadly due to ignorance or stupidity, Andy will reside in the Mortuary of Udon General until as such time as his family arrive and deal not only with him but all his belongings. ( following a quarantine period )
Although offers were made to clean the house , ( which smells no reason known ). secure obvious personal belongings and make safe other attractive items .
So in following direct instructions, the Lady friend nor myself will now not do anything regarding Him or his belongings.
Khun Paul, I’m unable to send you a private message. I sent you an email on Saturday but have not had a response.
I am in contact with Andy’s son Chris and he is very upset about your latest post. Is it written on behalf of someone else? Andy’s children say that they do not know you and have not had any contact with you. The hurtful accusations regarding supposed ignorance and stupidity are unfounded. Andy’s children are grateful for the help that has already been given and have not issued any instructions to halt proceedings. Andy’s daughter is heavily pregnant and it is unlikely that either of them will be able to come to Thailand. In any case, they certainly do not want to hold up Andy’s funeral, which sadly will probably have to go ahead without them.
So there seems to have been a misunderstanding.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help?

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » April 19, 2021, 2:09 pm

garethbeachbum wrote:
April 19, 2021, 1:15 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Khun Paul, I’m unable to send you a private message. I sent you an email on Saturday but have not had a response.
I am in contact with Andy’s son Chris and he is very upset about your latest post. Is it written on behalf of someone else? Andy’s children say that they do not know you and have not had any contact with you. The hurtful accusations regarding supposed ignorance and stupidity are unfounded. Andy’s children are grateful for the help that has already been given and have not issued any instructions to halt proceedings. Andy’s daughter is heavily pregnant and it is unlikely that either of them will be able to come to Thailand. In any case, they certainly do not want to hold up Andy’s funeral, which sadly will probably have to go ahead without them.
Hi Gareth
As already mentioned, Andy was a customer at my restaurant many, many times and always good for a chat and a laugh. I rather liked his forthright manner and we often spoke about Willard, and what we could do to help the poor chap.
I live in Phnom Penh, ended up on the wrong side of the border when the virus struck. Nonetheless, my lady, Lek, continues to take care of our restaurant and bookshop in Udon and, like me, very sad to learn of Andy’s death.
I simply cannot get back to Udon at present and can do little to help your family at this stressful time but Lek and I will always remember Andy, definitely one of the good guys.
Fuzzyken

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 19, 2021, 5:06 pm

In response, I am sorry but Chris nad his sister came to my house with Andy, had a meal and drunk . My comments were purely based on information I received from another source the Thai lady that WAS helping.
So in fact before you start rubbishing me, facts need to be laid out .
I was informed that all work would be stopped until Chris arrived in Thailand, if that is wrong then that maybe mis understanding
IO was prepared top enter the house secure all items of a personal nature and secure other attractive items for the family and clean the place up, But I stopped that because of the previous statement.
Also arrange for the Very personal items top be sent back to Chris at MY expense. Sadly his comment to stop has halted that .
Now any further comments do not hesitate to contact me . He was my friend as well , wanted help to get to a hospital which I was arranging before he was whisked away into one. So I am not difficult to find .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 20, 2021, 9:40 am

An hot off the press update. Was rung this morning and told that the Embassy had issued a certifacate naming a Thai person to deal with the Hospital and the Funeral, although no word yet on securing property, but the cleaning of the house allowable.
Said Lady goes to the hospital and lo and behold the Wonderful incompetent British Embassy ( Those that are british understand this ) someone forgot to clear the matter with the Hospital and a it requires ALL BILLS to be paid before any releasing the body for a funeral.
So back to square one. One would think the Embassy would know that wouldn't you .!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 20, 2021, 9:53 am

The embassy has delivered all that's required of them. It's not the embassy's business to confirm if the deceased's estate has been handled to the satisfaction of all third parties and stakeholders.

Focus KP, try and stay focused and stop trivializing this already sad affair with your jaded opinions on irrelevancies.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 20, 2021, 10:04 am

tamada wrote:
April 20, 2021, 9:53 am
The embassy has delivered all that's required of them. It's not the embassy's business to confirm if the deceased's estate has been handled to the satisfaction of all third parties and stakeholders.

Focus KP, try and stay focused and stop trivializing this already sad affair with your jaded opinions on irrelevancies.
I agree NOT the Embassy's job to deal with this matter. However advice to families overseas is their JOB and this they have failed to do !

garethbeachbum
udonmap.com

Post by garethbeachbum » April 20, 2021, 10:42 am

Fuzzyken wrote:
April 19, 2021, 2:09 pm
garethbeachbum wrote:
April 19, 2021, 1:15 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Hi Gareth
As already mentioned, Andy was a customer at my restaurant many, many times and always good for a chat and a laugh. I rather liked his forthright manner and we often spoke about Willard, and what we could do to help the poor chap.
I live in Phnom Penh, ended up on the wrong side of the border when the virus struck. Nonetheless, my lady, Lek, continues to take care of our restaurant and bookshop in Udon and, like me, very sad to learn of Andy’s death.
I simply cannot get back to Udon at present and can do little to help your family at this stressful time but Lek and I will always remember Andy, definitely one of the good guys.
Fuzzyken
Hi Ken,
I’ll pass on your kind words about Andy to his son. I’m sure they’ll provide some comfort. Thanks and all the best.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 20, 2021, 11:00 am

As everyone else seems to be in contact with Chris, I will bow out and leave those who know so much more than I do to deal with this matter , maybe they can deal with this with some speed

garethbeachbum
udonmap.com

Post by garethbeachbum » April 20, 2021, 11:04 am

Khun Paul wrote:
April 19, 2021, 5:06 pm
In response, I am sorry but Chris nad his sister came to my house with Andy, had a meal and drunk . My comments were purely based on information I received from another source the Thai lady that WAS helping.
So in fact before you start rubbishing me, facts need to be laid out .
I was informed that all work would be stopped until Chris arrived in Thailand, if that is wrong then that maybe mis understanding
IO was prepared top enter the house secure all items of a personal nature and secure other attractive items for the family and clean the place up, But I stopped that because of the previous statement.
Also arrange for the Very personal items top be sent back to Chris at MY expense. Sadly his comment to stop has halted that .
Now any further comments do not hesitate to contact me . He was my friend as well , wanted help to get to a hospital which I was arranging before he was whisked away into one. So I am not difficult to find .
Hi Khun Paul, I understand that you are in contact with the Thai lady who is helping. Andy’s son Chris has asked her to give you his email address so that you can communicate in private. It is upsetting for the family when derogatory comments are posted publicly, especially when untrue. Chris does not want me to post his email address here in public but let me know if you don’t hear from the Thai lady and I’ll get it to you somehow. I apologise that I was mistaken about your identity. It sounds as though you were a good friend of Andy’s and have been doing your best to help. Hopefully this can be resolved quickly and we can give Andy an appropriate send off. I’m sure I’ll see you at the funeral but if there’s anything I can do to help before that, then please let me know. I’m in touch with the Thai lady who is helping and have told her the same thing.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 20, 2021, 12:49 pm

Have sent two PM'S TO YOU NOT WISHING TO REPLY PUBLICALLY

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”