New Scam or Not, jury still out. (Thai Post E-mail)

General Udon Thani topics only!
Mosquito
udonmap.com

New Scam or Not, jury still out. (Thai Post E-mail)

Post by Mosquito » November 26, 2022, 10:10 am

Full Picture.

Last week got a couple of notifications of illegal log-in attempts on my Microsoft Outlook.

Yesterday and today got e-mails from Thailand Post, notifying me that duty is owed for a package that I mailed (38 baht).
Requesting payment via credit card, all required links provided for payment. E-mail looks legit.

Just happens, I did within the past 3 weeks mailed a letter to the US.

This morning hit the village Post Office, initially the front desk guy tells me it's ok and points to the Thai Post Logo on the e-mail. I asked to pay in cash at the counter, he reviews the e-mail and indicates that's not possible. Then he goes back and talks to a few guys/gals in the sorting room and comes back telling me not to pay. It's a possible call center scam, that Thai Post wouldn't send this type of e-mail.

The letter I mailed was somewhat important, but not as important as my credit card info.

I'm now like 90% it's a scam and 10% (because of language barriers talking with the post office guy) E-mail was legit.

Either way not worth the risk of disclosing my credit card info.

Just a friendly warning!!!!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: New Scam or Not, jury still out. (Thai Post E-mail)

Post by semperfiguy » November 26, 2022, 10:34 am

Just to be safe, never try to access any link from out of an email. If you can't access a site using the url/address bar of your browser, then forget it.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 10:37 am

no duty should be payable for a letter.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 11:18 am

Mosquito wrote:
November 26, 2022, 10:10 am
Full Picture.

Last week got a couple of notifications of illegal log-in attempts on my Microsoft Outlook.

Yesterday and today got e-mails from Thailand Post, notifying me that duty is owed for a package that I mailed (38 baht).
Requesting payment via credit card, all required links provided for payment. E-mail looks legit.

Just happens, I did within the past 3 weeks mailed a letter to the US.

This morning hit the village Post Office, initially the front desk guy tells me it's ok and points to the Thai Post Logo on the e-mail. I asked to pay in cash at the counter, he reviews the e-mail and indicates that's not possible. Then he goes back and talks to a few guys/gals in the sorting room and comes back telling me not to pay. It's a possible call center scam, that Thai Post wouldn't send this type of e-mail.

The letter I mailed was somewhat important, but not as important as my credit card info.

I'm now like 90% it's a scam and 10% (because of language barriers talking with the post office guy) E-mail was legit.

Either way not worth the risk of disclosing my credit card info.

Just a friendly warning!!!!
If I got notifications of illegal log-in attempts on any email or online account, I would STILL go ahead and change the related passwords. The illegal log in attempts may be exactly that but eventually someone may have cracked the password and logged in. If MS Outlook sees that as a legal log in, they won't notify you.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 26, 2022, 11:33 am

Illegal log on attempts, Thaipost sending you an email (how'd they get your email address??).....even if you haven't clicked on a link, those are signs that you need to do a deep clean of your phone/computer.
If you'd care to share the email (Thai language is ok), I'd be interested in reading to see if there are any telltale signs that can be shared with others. U2U.

Easily 15 years ago, a friend asked about an email he received from Coke saying he'd won a prize and needed to contact the company. The email listed a UK address for Coke with a UK phone number. He called and the person who answered spoke British English (whatever that is). My friend was to follow a set of instructions to receive his prize. My friend asked me about the email/phonecall. I asked if he had ever entered a Coke contest. No was his answer. That settled that.

Adhoc
udonmap.com

Post by Adhoc » November 26, 2022, 1:00 pm

parrot wrote:
November 26, 2022, 11:33 am
....the person who answered spoke British English (whatever that is).
It's the correct form of English. :lol: :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » November 26, 2022, 1:51 pm

Adhoc wrote:
November 26, 2022, 1:00 pm
parrot wrote:
November 26, 2022, 11:33 am
....the person who answered spoke British English (whatever that is).
It's the correct form of English. :lol: :lol:
It IS M8......None of That American STUFF On here !!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 2:12 pm

English is spoken in its country of origin as well as in other places that value that language. Other variations, dialects, tortured spellings and pronunciations etc are spoken in other countries.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » November 26, 2022, 2:39 pm

What email address did they use? That normally lets you know its a scam.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 26, 2022, 2:48 pm

yes, I've received half a dozen of the Thailand Post e-mails in the past week. Click on the originating address where it says "Thailand Post". Most of them have a weird e-mail address with an .NG country suffix, here: [email protected] I think that's Nigeria.. The others were some strange one and certainly NOT a Thailand Post legitimate e-mail address.
Dave

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » November 26, 2022, 4:30 pm

Ok, 100% Scam Attempt.

Normally, wouldn't even of opened that e-mail or took the time to capture/translate it...but had that semi-important letter in the mail.

Deleted e-mails, but will check it's address...if they send me another one (which, I expect they will).

Didn't even think about how Thai Post got my e-mail address. As it's close to Christmas, I've been getting almost daily UPS e-mails on package delivery status'...UPS notifications requested by me w/ me providing UPS with my e-mail address.

Now, a bit upset with the village post office guy "initially the front desk guy tells me it's ok and points to the Thai Post Logo on the e-mail."

nutosf
udonmap.com

Post by nutosf » November 27, 2022, 9:52 am

I got same email. Marked it as spam.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 27, 2022, 10:06 am

Mosquito wrote:
November 26, 2022, 4:30 pm
Ok, 100% Scam Attempt.

Normally, wouldn't even of opened that e-mail or took the time to capture/translate it...but had that semi-important letter in the mail.

Deleted e-mails, but will check it's address...if they send me another one (which, I expect they will).

Didn't even think about how Thai Post got my e-mail address. As it's close to Christmas, I've been getting almost daily UPS e-mails on package delivery status'...UPS notifications requested by me w/ me providing UPS with my e-mail address.

Now, a bit upset with the village post office guy "initially the front desk guy tells me it's ok and points to the Thai Post Logo on the e-mail."
Mossie, relying on Thai post office staff to spot a scam email?

I am available to advise anybody on brain surgery procedures should the need arise.

Sorry, please do not add me to your foes list. 55

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » November 29, 2022, 9:42 am

Whistler wrote:
November 27, 2022, 10:06 am
Mosquito wrote:
November 26, 2022, 4:30 pm
Ok, 100% Scam Attempt.

Mossie, relying on Thai post office staff to spot a scam email?

I am available to advise anybody on brain surgery procedures should the need arise.

Sorry, please do not add me to your foes list. 55

Whistler, "please do not add me to your foes list." Don't you mean "please delete me from your foes list." LOL!!!!

Haven't rec'd any new Post Office e-mails, hopefully I'm off their target list now.

Kate_Reed

Post by Kate_Reed » November 29, 2022, 3:09 pm

Yeah, emails from strangers is definitely a scam. Especially when it comes to a link in it 8-[

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 2, 2022, 9:48 pm

fatbob wrote:
November 26, 2022, 2:39 pm
What email address did they use? That normally lets you know its a scam.
It’s very difficult to identify scam emails that way since the originating email address can easily be spoofed. As to the address it’s being received at, for the majority of people, this is one of a very few addresses that you have. If they haven’t spoofed the address then they may have used characters that look identical to English ones.

I know of about 5 or 6 companies that have let my email address leak, I know exactly which companies they are because I use a different email address for each company I send mail to, the current leaker of my address is Dropbox. When I can be bothered I will block that address and the spam will stop, I’ve already blocked the others.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » December 6, 2022, 1:11 pm

Got another ThailandPost e-mail today.

Thailandpost. <[email protected]>

Just for Info.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 6, 2022, 1:36 pm

.com.ar What does the email say?

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » December 8, 2022, 12:05 am

parrot wrote:
December 6, 2022, 1:36 pm
Initial (1st thread post) post covers rec'd e-mail msg. Would post entire e-mail, but have already deleted it.

Note:
-Thailand Post wouldn't know my e-mail address, plus info'd they'd never send e-mail notification for postage due.
-Checking sender e-mail address another key identifier this was a scam e-mail (bit late, but lesson learned).
-E-mail provided icon/link to click on to initiate credit card payment for the .38 baht. If used, would of provide
scammer with my credit card info (enough to initiate follow-on purchases using my card info).

For General Info (2nd link definitely interesting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed7uKTq02i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOLVs0oCV0

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » December 8, 2022, 7:07 am

Mosquito wrote:
December 8, 2022, 12:05 am
parrot wrote:
December 6, 2022, 1:36 pm
Initial (1st thread post) post covers rec'd e-mail msg. Would post entire e-mail, but have already deleted it.

Note:
-Thailand Post wouldn't know my e-mail address, plus info'd they'd never send e-mail notification for postage due.
-Checking sender e-mail address another key identifier this was a scam e-mail (bit late, but lesson learned).
-E-mail provided icon/link to click on to initiate credit card payment for the .38 baht. If used, would of provide
scammer with my credit card info (enough to initiate follow-on purchases using my card info).

For General Info (2nd link definitely interesting):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed7uKTq02i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WOLVs0oCV0
I agree that the scams are getting interesting, however I am almost invisible to them and extremely unlikely to be successfully targeted die to the following

1) my email address is unique for virtually every login and have been for the last 20 years
2)my passwords are unique for every login and have been for the last 20 years
3) my security question answers are also unique and impossible to guess, they are random characters and numbers
4)the PW/user ID websites are checked easy time and so phishing has little chance of being successful
5) for virtually every website I use randomly generated passwords.

I recommend using 1Password a program that easy to use and secure along with your own domain so you can have an infinite number of email addresses that always come back to you.

So given all of that if I were the target of a nation state, like every other person, one login/pw could be compromised but ail of them never and like others I have made cracking any combination so difficult that there is no value in trying.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”