Finnish man arrested in Kut Chap

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Finnish man arrested in Kut Chap

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 2:46 pm

My Partner got a message yesterday from a friend in Kut Chap, sent a picture of an old guy wondering if I knew him. Some old guy, barefoot had climbed into a bedroom window in the house, turned on air conditioning and put himself to bed, it seemed a bad case of dementia. She found him when he went into the kitchen to get some milk.

In Asean Now web site today, he was reported as waving his walking stick at cops when they tried to arrest him, overstayed visa since 2015. Poor old guy 74 years old is now in custody, hope they treat him kindly given his mental condition.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Finnish man arrested in Kut Chap

Post by parrot » November 26, 2022, 5:58 pm

Seems there's a single Sanook news report of this case (with photos), but nothing about climbing into someone's window

Sort of related, but a quarter century ago, there was an Australian guy who used to pick up recyclables at the city market on Makkaeng Rd. He pedaled a samlor, spoke fluent Isaan, and seemed to chat up a storm with the locals. Back in those days, the printing press was still a thing.....people actually read newspapers back then.....but never saw anything in print about the guy.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 7:32 pm

Whatever 'sanook' means?
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 26, 2022, 7:39 pm

Whistler wrote:
November 26, 2022, 7:32 pm
Whatever 'sanook' means?
https://www.sanook.com/news/8660482/

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 8:11 pm

The link is in thai. You may read thai, after 3 years I do not, I would suggest that in 10 years it will be just as useful.

I posted information to supplement a Asian News article, sorry if that brought out a long term farang determined and arrogantly displaying their superior local knowledge

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 26, 2022, 8:25 pm

Whistler wrote:
November 26, 2022, 7:32 pm
Whatever 'sanook' means?
Perhaps you could ask your Partner.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 8:32 pm

Jackspratt, perhaps becoming independent is my aim. Up to me OK. In my few short years in Thailand I have found being hamstrung by relying on a partner has issues, I prefer being my own person.

If I want your advice on my personal life will ask for it.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 26, 2022, 8:41 pm

But you were happy to rely upon her in your OP. :-k

Attaining independence is an admirable goal - but not made easy by lack of reading/speaking the local language, or slighting the local farangs who do.

UP2U.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 9:13 pm

We all have limitations. Mine is foreign languages. I learn as much as I can about respecting local beliefs and customs.. 44 Constantents, 32 Salars and 13,OO0 bhat in lessons had me no better off than before I started.

So back off Jack, you come across as a more opionated person than me, that is saying something.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 9:59 pm

The Aseannow article you mention in the OP is simply their translation of the news item in the Thai-languge Sanook media outlet that you were politely referred to but choose to disparage. Aseannow article has embedded links to Sanook.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 10:17 pm

What a bunch of cynics. I posted a first hand, not made up sensational press, account if this poor old guy. The pics on the Asian News site was a pic of the poor old guy I was asked to identify.. So now you infer it is not true despite getting the post verifying the basis of the news story.

On what basis? Please enlightened me on your actual knowledge of this incident. You have none, just being smart arses as usual.

If you have any verifiable sources, please post on here and enlighten us all otherwise you have zero credibility

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 10:30 pm

First hand would mean you were there. You weren't. You had a head start on a news story, that's all. Nobody here has said anything about you posting untruths or suggesting as much.
And what if you are clueless about embedded citations to a popular Thai-language media outlet. It's no big deal. After all, it's only been three years.

So yes, you have indeed posted information to supplement a AsianNews article, but your subsequent posts suggest a short term farang determined and arrogantly displaying their red arse.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 10:41 pm

Yes first hand I was asked if I recognised the guy. Do you want me to drive to Kut Chap to verify the pic I was personally asked to look at was not first hand if that is not first hand, what is?

Typical Tam, know nothing about the situation but makes an opinionated posts regardless. What do you know about this event Tam. Zero, so why post an opinion on a subject that you have no knowledge, first hand or otherwise

By no means the first time.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 10:55 pm

Nobody here has called you a liar.

There's only one Thai-language media link to the story (so far) that's been linked on the other forum that you mentioned. I read the same Aseannow article this morning.

Nobody knows the guy and neither do you. Beyond your partner's friends personal involvement YESTERDAY, you don't have a dog in this fight either.

But you have accused a fellow member of grandstanding his Thai language prowess (which he wasn't).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 11:05 pm

Only one?

Https://huahinexpatnews.com/saturdays-news-nov-26-2/

You get a first hand report plus two other sources how many do you want? Plus a link posted in thai on an English language Web site, unbelievable?

Tam, You are looking more ridiculous with every post. If you are down a hole stop digging

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 11:14 pm

Have you clicked on the green "Continued..." link in the Hua Hin Expat News article yet?

I thought not.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 11:27 pm

The good thing about this website is you get some insights about Isan that can help the local farang community.

The downside is well displayed in his thread. It is an English language site, but one poster uses a Thai term that may well be unfamiliar to other farangs, instead of using a common English alternative, then another poster rips in with me be ordered to ask a thai friend to interpret, then Tam who always busts in has his criticism without having a f,$#,individual clue.

What is it with members on here? Do you live waiting for posts that you can leap in on and savage a perfectly innocuous thread. What a pathetic bunch of losers.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 26, 2022, 11:35 pm

tamada wrote:
November 26, 2022, 11:14 pm
Have you clicked on the green "Continued..." link in the Hua Hin Expat News article yet?

I thought not.
What a figging joke. News sources all around the world attribute stories to other agencies do you think Hua Hin has a permanent reporter in Kut Chap? They quote what they trust as credible sources.

Your source for your opinionated statements is?????

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 11:43 pm

Dear Whistler,

It's a sad story.
It has happened.
Nobody is denying it happened.
Nobody is denying a friend of your partner was involved. Nobody knows the guy.

So far it has only been reported in a Thai-language media outlet called Sanook.

So apart from not knowing the meaning of sanook, that it's also the name of a popular Thai-language media outlet and being a bit slow with cross-media attribution, what on earth are you going on and on about?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 26, 2022, 11:51 pm

Whistler wrote:
November 26, 2022, 11:35 pm
tamada wrote:
November 26, 2022, 11:14 pm

I thought not.
What a figging joke. News sources all around the world attribute stories to other agencies do you think Hua Hin has a permanent reporter in Kut Chap? They quote what they trust as credible sources.

Your source for your opinionated statements is?????
The "figging joke" is you suggesting it to be ANOTHER report, ie a second, independent report on the events in Kut Chap when its the online equivalent of copy-paste.

The original report in sanook (the media) that has been linked and attributed in AseanNow and the Hua Hin website is the same, credible report. Your partner's friends involvement is also credible.

Nobody has said otherwise.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”