NEW Traffic Lights

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: NEW Traffic Lights

Post by tamada » February 13, 2023, 10:00 am

I don't think the lights will be a big problem with the +2 month learning curve of moving the u-turn, flashing amber and now painting the road markings. The overpass itself must be one of the least busy thoroughfares in town so no carnage expected from that source. There could be an issue at supper time with loads of double and triple parked vehicles on the St Mary's side as they pull over and stop to order their takeaways from all the stalls on the sidewalk.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 16, 2023, 7:58 am

Yesterday I used the traffic light controlled U-turn in Nong Samrong. Lights for me changed to green, car in front went straight on, I turned right, no cars coming on the road, just one motorbike. Did it stop?

TIT. had to turn sharply to right to avoid hitting it.

Also last night at school closing time the new lights outside St. Mary's/Fruit and Vegetable market were 'operational'. Result gridlock.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 16, 2023, 1:51 pm

used this AM , seems o be working except the locals when turning do it so slowly as if they are afraid of the vehicle tipping over, but i have to see it in action at busy times, might be a different story

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 16, 2023, 2:36 pm

I've noticed that KP, especially those "U turning" at Nong Samrong lights on RR to head back to Tesco flyover. It's almost like theres not enough time to press accel pedle and or change into second gear whilst concentrating on turning the steering wheel. Just one of the long established driving styles I suppose, like 90+% of drivers indicating left at the junction of a duel carriageway ........ where else do they think their going? must be old habit from motor cycle days when they would just turn right and go against the traffic flow I suppose:lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 16, 2023, 7:04 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 16, 2023, 1:51 pm
used this AM , seems o be working except the locals when turning do it so slowly as if they are afraid of the vehicle tipping over, but i have to see it in action at busy times, might be a different story
I guess the habit of peering to the left to avoid getting t-boned in the right turn will be hard to shake
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 17, 2023, 6:50 am

tamada wrote:
February 16, 2023, 7:04 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
I guess the habit of peering to the left to avoid getting t-boned in the right turn will be hard to shake
Nah they are the same every time they turn left or right, follow them through a multistory car park, a disability scooter is quicker

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 17, 2023, 9:35 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 17, 2023, 6:50 am
tamada wrote:
February 16, 2023, 7:04 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Nah they are the same every time they turn left or right, follow them through a multistory car park, a disability scooter is quicker
I don't have a disability scooter so I'll take your word for that.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 17, 2023, 10:35 am

lieghts operational today. I see no massive collection of skid marks or broken glass so amazingly people seem to ahve gotten the message. One thing I hadn't noticed during construction is that the Talad Muang Tong wholesale market also has a light that allows vehciles to come out diagonally and head east on 22. That keeps them from driving back ihe neighborhood and trying to drive across traffic to th U-Turn. That is a big plus for traffic management...
Dave

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 17, 2023, 8:40 pm

Well the lights are in action and the is the first green U turn arrow I’ve seen
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 17, 2023, 10:02 pm

Green U turn arrows outside of Bkk are becoming more n more noticeable now .. on my travels im seeing them at newly installed and revamped intersections regularly now.

Lets hope the new lights set up near Makro assist in stopping accidents .. always been a black spot.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » February 18, 2023, 7:41 am

[quote=sometimewoodworker post_id=668744 time=1676641215 user_id=13953]
Well the lights are in action and the is the first green U turn arrow I’ve seen
[/quote]

There is a green light U-Turn at the intersection in front of Global House at Nong Han. Just got to be on the alert for individuals running the red light.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 19, 2023, 10:43 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 17, 2023, 10:02 pm
Green U turn arrows outside of Bkk are becoming more n more noticeable now .. on my travels im seeing them at newly installed and revamped intersections regularly now.

Lets hope the new lights set up near Makro assist in stopping accidents .. always been a black spot.

DM
True, although in over 20 years NVER seen a BAD accident there, just normal stupidity and a few bangs and bumps with Somchai complaining loudly about how everyone else should KNOW what he was doing ( albeit illegally ) !!!

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » March 17, 2023, 9:14 am

Someone said Thais are stupid. Wonder why.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2023, 9:58 am

JR wrote:
March 17, 2023, 9:14 am
Someone said Thais are stupid. Wonder why.
Nah not stupid but lacking common-sense in many areas . This coupled with logical thinking !!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » March 17, 2023, 1:02 pm

I'd say the lights are a great improvement on the lottery before.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2023, 1:16 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
March 17, 2023, 1:02 pm
I'd say the lights are a great improvement on the lottery before.
Yes agree Brian... i transited this area this morning and the new traffic lights seem a huge improvement , i managed a quick easy U turn at the new intersection rather than what i usually do which is to drive up to the RR/SK flyover and use the U turn under it outside Big C.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 17, 2023, 5:27 pm

They seem to have caught on, another set of Traffic lights being installed on the Sakon Nahkon Road just before Thai Siri market as they have closed the U Turn by Border Pol;ice because of traffic problems, thereby causing all taggic to use the only one available on that stretch of road .

Fun tims ahead I fear with Traffic lighs popping up everywhere, saves the BIB from actually having to work I suppose

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 17, 2023, 7:29 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 17, 2023, 5:27 pm
They seem to have caught on, another set of Traffic lights being installed on the Sakon Nahkon Road just before Thai Siri market as they have closed the U Turn by Border Pol;ice because of traffic problems, thereby causing all taggic to use the only one available on that stretch of road .

Fun tims ahead I fear with Traffic lighs popping up everywhere, saves the BIB from actually having to work I suppose
Not only Udon ..im seeing new traffic light intersections popping up all over Isan on major highways and smaller A roads with crossroads and T bone junctions ... good news as it seems the authorities have finally twigged on to the fact that a large number of RTAs occur at or near U turns and cross roads so getting rid of as many as possible must be a good idea.

WELL DONE and Hip Hip Hooray for the Thai ministry of Transport , Highways and Rural roads departments ..eh KP !!

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 17, 2023, 7:48 pm

And just think of the extra "running the red light" income it will generate \:D/

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » March 18, 2023, 5:35 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 17, 2023, 7:29 pm
WELL DONE and Hip Hip Hooray for the Thai ministry of Transport , Highways and Rural roads departments ..eh KP !!
Fun Tim's ahead now that taggic is sorted!
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”