Weather in Udon ?

General Udon Thani topics only!
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Weather in Udon ?

Post by Niggly » February 14, 2021, 9:51 am

Yes, I noticed a lot of burning being fired up at dusk last night. Must have been waiting for the debris to dry out a bit after the recent rains.
Woke up this morning to find a fine sooty like dust all over the patio. Cant be good if breathed in for any period of time

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 14, 2021, 11:05 am

I think sugar cane harvesting still has another month or so to run here as well so maybe they took a day or two off for CNY? It's maybe going to get worse before it gets better.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 14, 2021, 11:17 am

Haven't started here yet, waiting for the wind/breeze to change direction and blow over our home as in previous years!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 15, 2021, 6:54 am

AQI 175 this morning and cane ash all over the front porch. With the calm winds I gotta figure they're burning somewhere within a few kilometers of my place on the east side outside the Ring Road.. Nothing but an occasional platitude from the government.
Dave

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 15, 2021, 9:11 am

Yes, the air is very chewy at Chez Niggles too

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 15, 2021, 2:47 pm

The act of burning either the sugar cane or the stubble will probably take a few years to filter down to the farmers and as the enforcement agencies do nothing, may take longer. Sadly complaining will not change a thing, you just have to put up with it . I too get it occasionally have spoken to the local headman and got a shrug of the shoulders .

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 16, 2021, 8:10 am

solutions exist according to various stories on it. More advanced sugar cutting combines do not need the undergrowth burned for harvesting. The complaint is the equipment costs too much. Farmers burning off rice field stubble is another issue which again can be solved by more advanced (and expensive) farming equipment to mulch and till under left over growth... It would take a top down highly budgeted program to change the way things are right now. Of course another alternative would be to go to an expensive fleet of big water bombers and using satellite infrared imagery immediately launch missions against any burning "hot spot" and extinguish them.. Not likely either..
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 16, 2021, 8:11 am

oh, one other proposal was to pay less for burned harvested sugar cane. I've heard they're already doing that, paying 15% less for any burned cane. Farmers, small to large have to harvest around the same time so don't seem to care. Thus the only ones benefiting from that are the big cane processing companies..
Dave

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 16, 2021, 8:57 am

Still pretty smoggy & hazy at Chez Niggles this morning.
We had a lingering burning smell in the air last night. So much so Mrs N decided to drag the clothes airer indoors for the first time ever so the laundry didn’t smell

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 16, 2021, 9:34 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
February 16, 2021, 8:10 am
solutions exist according to various stories on it. More advanced sugar cutting combines do not need the undergrowth burned for harvesting. The complaint is the equipment costs too much. Farmers burning off rice field stubble is another issue which again can be solved by more advanced (and expensive) farming equipment to mulch and till under left over growth... It would take a top down highly budgeted program to change the way things are right now. Of course another alternative would be to go to an expensive fleet of big water bombers and using satellite infrared imagery immediately launch missions against any burning "hot spot" and extinguish them.. Not likely either..
Easiest solution would be to.enforce the no burning laws with strict n heavy fines .. 55555

Makes a bloody mess of washing the garden, pool as,well as very unhealthy

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 16, 2021, 9:53 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 16, 2021, 9:34 am

Easiest solution would be to.enforce the no burning laws with strict n heavy fines .. 55555

Dm
Welcome back 👍😂

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 16, 2021, 11:32 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 16, 2021, 9:34 am
FrazeeDK wrote:
February 16, 2021, 8:10 am

Dm
Ah enforcement another word not fully understood by those who should , hence status quo, sadly

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 16, 2021, 11:43 am

Fear not niggly .. not banned , it appears my office ipmaddress may be blocked ..but i can log on via the data package on mi phone ..so no.escape 5555

Dm

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 16, 2021, 1:41 pm

Btw Niggly ... not forget Gallery closed on Tuesdays mate ..in all weathers ..ive heard the chicken near nong prajak is nice

Dm.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 16, 2021, 2:14 pm

Of course I knew that 🙄

Everywhere I frequent closes on a Monday except Le Gallery everybody knows that. I wouldn’t waste a journey on a Tuesday, only a fool would do that.

I didn’t have any chicken either, see breakfast thread for details

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 17, 2021, 9:59 am

Still a bit chewy this morning but not as bad as the other day. Hung the laundry inside again last night because the smell was overpowering

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 17, 2021, 10:10 am

Indeed even in the posh part ov town it stunk of burning last night .. this burning law appears to be just another that seems to taken with a pinch of salt.

after last nights 21 overnight low pleased to see its gonna be back down to 16 n 17 for about 4 nights ... days are still glorious , nice breeze this morning as well.

DM

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » February 17, 2021, 10:52 am

Its quite windy at Chez Niggles.

Might be something to do with breakfast 😳

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 17, 2021, 4:29 pm

We are what I would call going through the halcyon weather period at the moment, the weather is just right, cool in the evenings and early mornings, rising to a very palatable level mid-afternoon. No storms or strong winds just purrfect as they say.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 17, 2021, 9:11 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 17, 2021, 4:29 pm
We are what I would call going through the halcyon weather period at the moment, the weather is just right, cool in the evenings and early mornings, rising to a very palatable level mid-afternoon. No storms or strong winds just purrfect as they say.
Very true KP weather at the mo is perfect ... but we know what those baking steaming red hot days are coming in April.

DM

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”