los
udonmap.com

English speaking solicitor

Post by los » June 30, 2008, 7:49 am

dose anyone know of a good English speaking solicitor in udon ,

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 30, 2008, 8:49 am

a quick search by yourself would have found this,no changes in solicitors since the post. :D

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... =solicitor

sparky
udonmap.com

Post by sparky » June 30, 2008, 1:32 pm

Careful English Speaking Lawyers are very expensive. 25,000 to 28,000 baht for about 2 hours work. Better get translator and try Non English Speaking Lawyer, I saved 23000 baht for same work but I had to get thai translation at Lets Speak in Complex. Cost 600 baht 2 pages of document.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 1, 2008, 8:21 am

Yes I agree, supposedly English speaking solicitors charge more as they think farangs have more money to spend, however ther are VERY good thai solicitors who have access to transalators or you can get it transalated as Sparky suggested, however in the transalation it must be certified as a true transalation, as if there is a mistake the transalating company has the probelm NOT you.
Mistakles made COULD cost you money so a reputable coy must transalate. As for lawyers we have had various posts about good lawyers and bad lawyers. find one ask the forum someone will then say good or bad from their experience.
Guns

isaanlawyers
udonmap.com

Post by isaanlawyers » July 4, 2008, 2:54 pm

I'm Sebastian, a Canadian attorney working for Isaan Lawyers.

We do not charge 25K for about 2 hours of work. That's ridiculous and even the big law firm in BKK do not charge that.

The biggest law firm in Bangkok like Tilleke Gibbins or Baker Mackenzie are about 8000 baht per hour. Smaller, can ask 4000 baht per hour, and that's also expensive to my eyes in Thailand.

Depending on services, it will be around 1000 baht per hour for us.
Again, all services are not the same, even if the same, the client can have different needs, etc. There are many things that you can do WITHOUT a lawyer too. Consultation is free and we invite you to communicate with us by email, and double check services and price with a competitor.

Regards,

Sebastian H Brousseau, LLB, BSc.
Managing Director of Isaan Lawyers

sparky
udonmap.com

I got the Premarital forms in English and Thai

Post by sparky » July 4, 2008, 7:20 pm

I paid for the advice only of an attorney and then got certified translations of the premarital from English to Thai and the required Schedule A and B of prospective wifes finances and Schedule A of mine which have to be attached to the PreMarital. The Schedule A and B you have to do yourself.
If financial assets are not declared it is not valid especially in your home country. Also to be valid in your home country it can not be signed by an attorney. Your signature and Prospective wife plus 2 witnesses. I recomend 1 Thai and 1 English Speaking. The Lawyers are outrageous here on PreMarital Contract and most do not understand it. Thai law covers a lot of property settlement for divorce and the Premarital insures your foreign assets are all yours.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 4, 2008, 9:35 pm

sparky wrote:Careful English Speaking Lawyers are very expensive. 25,000 to 28,000 baht for about 2 hours work. Better get translator and try Non English Speaking Lawyer, I saved 23000 baht for same work but I had to get thai translation at Lets Speak in Complex. Cost 600 baht 2 pages of document.
I don't know where you get your information from - or if you have had a bad experience but your post is laughable.
I have used an English speaking lawyer in Udon city centre on many occasions over the previous few years - from court cases to property deals and the charges you suggest are truly unbelievable.

Should anyone require my lawyers name or address - please PM to me

excell

Same experience Sparky

Post by excell » July 5, 2008, 7:16 am

Got a quote for 20,000 for 30 year land lease, and purchase of house. .

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 5, 2008, 7:20 am

I'll do it for 50,000! :lol: Now you have 2 quotes :lol: Care to try for 3 or 4?It would probably be worth it! :lol:

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » July 5, 2008, 9:43 am

"Got a quote for 20,000 for 30 year land lease, and purchase of house." This begs the question. Would pay this much in your home country?

isaanlawyers
udonmap.com

Post by isaanlawyers » July 5, 2008, 3:52 pm

What people STILL do not understand is that in MOST cases a USUFRUCT is better than a lease. Not only will you pay 20,000 for a lease to your lawyer, but you will pay some taxes to the land department to REGISTER you lease agreement. Taxes will be 1.1% of the rental agreement for it's whole term. Ex: if you rent 10K per month, for 30 years, it's 10K X 12 months X 30 years X 1.1% = your taxes.

You can avoid taxes with a usufruct but there are differences and you must understand them.

http://www.isaanlawyers.com/Usufruct%20 ... ailand.pdf

I believe most Thai lawyers in Isaan don't know what a usufruct agreement is. Most of them. Why? Because we registered the first one is Khon Kaen, In Korat, in Kalasin, in Kuchinarai, in Mukdahan, Ta Toom, etc. Before, these land department never had seen a contract like that. It's not for 30 years. It's for life. If you save 20K in taxes... does it worth it to pay a law firm??????? :D

I will be in Udon Monday afternoon for a divorce. Again, a foreigner built a house of 2 million on land own by his wife. She had another boyfriend at the same time. Will he get back some of his money? The judge will decide!

I am taking the weekend off. Enjoy posting and reading!

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 5, 2008, 4:02 pm

isaanlawyers wrote: I will be in Udon Monday afternoon for a divorce. Again, a foreigner built a house of 2 million on land own by his wife. She had another boyfriend at the same time. Will he get back some of his money? The judge will decide!
Ground Hog Day

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 5, 2008, 4:04 pm

Interesting,I hope you will post the outcome of this case, now the carrot has been dangled so to speak.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 5, 2008, 4:11 pm

beer monkey wrote:now the carrot has been dangled so to speak.
I suspect if you do that in front of the Judge, you'll sent down for contempt of court.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 5, 2008, 4:14 pm

A bit like the box containing 2 million baht in the news a few weeks back.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » July 5, 2008, 4:16 pm

beer monkey wrote:A bit like the box containing 2 million baht in the news a few weeks back.
Don't know that one... [-(

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”