Land Company Thailand says no lawyer for 30 yr or lifetime

General Udon Thani topics only!
sparky
udonmap.com

Land Company Thailand says no lawyer for 30 yr or lifetime

Post by sparky » July 8, 2008, 7:12 am

My friend Richard pay a Ring Road Attorney 10,000 baht for looking at the house his gf was buying with his money and wrote him a 30 year lease. When he took the lease to the Land company they said it was not legal and that most lawyers just want the farangs money. They wrote him a lifetime lease with his name as co-owner on the land and house and it clearly states if they split up he lives there for life and she leaves. They charged 1,200 baht for doing all of the paperwork and he will spend another 400 baht getting a certified translation at lets speak. Good News Huh!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 8, 2008, 7:14 am

Name and Shame

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » July 9, 2008, 1:31 am

Good news. I don't understand the high price.

Adding one's name to the title as the beneficiary of the gift of the use of the property for life cost me less than 100 baht at the Land Office in Udon.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » July 9, 2008, 10:19 am

Each of us have to make decisions based on our particular circumstances, I'm just thankful my circumstance allows me to just ignore this use for life thing;o)

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 9, 2008, 11:32 am

I wonder who is trying to scam who ? he want pussy when she stop giving him he want to throw her out. that sure does not sound like a fair deal for the lady. if your worried about losing money on the Lady just rent. this way you walk away take nothing because you own nothing regardless of what you paid for you OWN NOTHING I read these threads and wonder why they even come here to Thailand if they fear the ladies are going to getting some thing from them. you can buy a house finance it for 20 or 30 years and if she cheats on you walk away now she has to pay the mortgage
or lose the house this will insure your investment at the end when it paid off she earned it by taking care of you and having her legs in the air is added bonus

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » July 10, 2008, 6:30 am

In my case, nobody trying to scam anybody. Just a little assurance that if things go wrong, the entire investment won't be totally lost. Most likely, its the same for many others.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 10, 2008, 8:10 am

rick my advice is don't invest your money in thailand I fear the government rules more than the lady ripping me off at least if the lady scams me i got some thing from her when the Gov. scams me I got nothing. I don't have any money to invest I spend what I can afford on the house I am building for my wife I have no intentions of living in it I am building it for her. I also bought a new truck 2 years ago it hers in her name she drives it if you worry about these things you will get old real quick trust me enjoy your time with your lady and enjoy your life it only money.
I have said in a previous post give them only what you can afford to lose real simple

Aircraftdoc
udonmap.com

Post by Aircraftdoc » July 10, 2008, 8:35 am

Ron,

Think outside the "BOX" would ya!!! LMAO

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 10, 2008, 9:12 am

Ok sp ther are bad lawyers, we have had posts about lawyers before and suggest anyone seeking to ensure some degree of security on purchasing land speak to those who have done it with success.
Costs, will depend on lawyers, the 30yr lease aas I understand has to be renewed ( I should live that long lol), but if done properly means that the land belongs to the Thai person on the land register, BUT you have right of tenure for 30 years, so for example you buy house for 1.5 mill you live there for 30 years it is cheaper than renting, however I should advise that the person in whose name it is , also signs a power of attorney lodged with the lawyer, then should you split for any reason, the lawyer can then transfer the land to another thai without the need for your ex or whatever to sign, saves a lot of unpleasantness.
That is just my 2 satangs worth.............. :D
Guns

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 10, 2008, 9:32 am

aznyron wrote:I wonder who is trying to scam who ? he want pussy when she stop giving him he want to throw her out. that sure does not sound like a fair deal for the lady. if your worried about losing money on the Lady just rent. this way you walk away take nothing because you own nothing regardless of what you paid for you OWN NOTHING I read these threads and wonder why they even come here to Thailand if they fear the ladies are going to getting some thing from them. you can buy a house finance it for 20 or 30 years and if she cheats on you walk away now she has to pay the mortgage
or lose the house this will insure your investment at the end when it paid off she earned it by taking care of you and having her legs in the air is added bonus
Ron, I think for a lot of people its a matter of security. There's nothing wrong with ensuring a place for yourself in your old age, especially if your spending money you have worked a life time to accumulate. There are many reasons why a lady may leave a man. For instance, family or friends telling them they can do better, or the nice ones we hear about occaisionaly who scam one man and then move on to the next one. Lets face it if your going to be scammed you"ll be the last to find out. In the long run the lady gets the house anyway, so she misses out on nothing and the only way she will be hurt or offended is if she scams you and then has to wait 20 years before she can cash in 8) personally I think its a good idea :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 10, 2008, 9:54 am

Aard just a point of interest I went to friend house the other day he a member of this forum also
he pays 4000 baht a month rent (townhouse) they sell for a little over 1 million baht now just take this example if you mortgaged it for 10 years with out the % you would pay 8334 baht a month
so in 20 years that would be 1/2 most of us do not have 20 years to live I doubt it if I have
I am 70 now why should any one around my age buy even at 60 your to old IMO and if you pay cash you just opened the door to be scammed not all thai ladies will do that but like you said they could be influenced by family or friends to move on and look for another expat with money and even young thai boy to keep her pussy well oiled

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 10, 2008, 10:04 am

also signs a power of attorney lodged with the lawyer, then should you split for any reason, the lawyer can then transfer the land to another thai without the need for your ex or whatever to sign, saves a lot of unpleasantness.
unless of course the wife, ex, or soon to be ex, has already transferred the land without your knowledge. the lease can also be cancelled one year after divorce and you thrown out, if not finding 'another trustworthy' person to transferr land to.

stongely advice videotaping (AS I DID :D ) the signing of all documents, especially the POA, so later it can not be disputed as a forgery. as the signatures are not notorized, simply witnessed by 2 people, which is why many attorneys don't care for them. then there will be no debate when land transferred. and sadly, due to udon's land office uniqueness, as is NK imm. , wanting things done there way, have a couple blank POA signed, as i did, as it was needed.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 10, 2008, 11:24 am

I cant speak for other people obviously, but when I mentioned the possibility of renting a short while back the response from my wife was not a good one. From her point of view she does'nt like the idea of living in someone elses home and of course theres no lasting security in renting as you can be moved on at any time, which would be a real hassle. Then there are three daughters to consider, and if my wife gets her way they will probably never leave home. And lastly the equity that will be lost by renting. The fact that I could rent my home here in Oz which would subsidise our life in los is lost on my wife, and the increased equity that she would make after I'm gone seems not to matter to her. For her the only security is home ownership, and my only security would be the knowledge that should everything go Pear shaped I would have some where to live out my days as I would no longer be able to afford to buy back here. I suppose another problem would be the Govt allowing me to stay if my wife left me anyway ?? There is also pressure from the family to buy land over the last few months (because other ladies married to Falang have it) almost like sinsod, to prove sincerity in the relationship. And lastly my wife is very attractive and so there is no way I can say without a doubt that she could'nt be lured away by a younger far more attractive man. God help us that we even have to think this way, but thats reality in this big bad world !!

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 12, 2008, 7:49 am

Yes you are right the lease could be cancelled, however upon attending the amphur for a divorce, the questions are asked about property, it is then written, if you have a disagreeable split then problems could occur, however the Amphur will advise you to seek lawyers advice before pproceeding.
I have been informed that the lease stays with you as long as you live and NOT many Thais will buy land where ther is a lease attached as they cannot get rid of it IF IT IS PROPERLY DONE.
Those who DO NOT have an amphur marriage then more problems can exist, the security lies in a the amphur marriage system not anything else, as with the proper marriage you both have to attend for a divorce and NO THAI law can make you attend, and to divorce without the other party is NOT easy, especially if it is just a personality conflict as opposed to a third party involved.
basically use a good lawyer for everything, then at least you have some security.
Guns

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » July 12, 2008, 8:51 am

Aard just ask her were she lived before meeting you simple question.
my wife before she moved in with me shared a 1 room with 2 other girls
and it was according to her very small so what ever I do for her it improvement on her life style
It your money I will not tell you how to spend it I just say use caution
and I would like to say if you can not afford to lose it don't spend it leave it in your home country bank and tell no one (thai ladies)

KhunJOOB

Post by KhunJOOB » July 13, 2008, 3:26 am

The law does not compel the doing of impossibilities.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 13, 2008, 6:39 am

Could you expand on that a little KhunJOOB ??

KhunJOOB

Post by KhunJOOB » July 18, 2008, 6:26 pm

If you do everying under Law,,,,Law will give you protection.Thai Law is not easy to understand but you can know more with Thai Law when you are being here.(sory,,,,my English is very poor,,,,but I try to let you know some...it's my idea and my job,,,,) Thank you for asking me Aardvrk.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 19, 2008, 6:44 am

I agree the law cannot make you do impossible things, but to many adherence to the law seems impossible.
here in Thailand, some rules still seem to work although the culture is changing
Rule 1. if I have enough money OK
Rule 2 Thais win farangs lose
Rule 3 if all else is lost use rule 1.

Now I know it is changing but slowly, patience is the answer, but one cannot say this enough times, if in doubt use a lawyer for your protection.
Guns

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » July 19, 2008, 2:22 pm

Lawyers have little or no incentive to do a good job. They make their living through putting what other people want into legal language. If they make a mistake you will come back to them to get it corrected. If they make another mistake, back you go. It's a great scam for those with little or no integrity.

I've dealt with lawyers a few times when I had no reasonable alternative. None of them were competent, and they all made errors that later had to be corrected at my expense or the expense of another.

This was in the USA. I suspect lawyers in Thailand are similar. I would not feel protected because a lawyer handled the paperwork. In fact, I'd be next to certain that there's someting wrong with it.

Sorry to be so negative about lawyers, but I really think they should be used only as a last resort.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”