Important telephone numbers - Udon Thani & Thailand

General Udon Thani topics only!
westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 17, 2008, 11:16 pm

wazza wrote:Lee

u started this one a few years ago
There you go - job done. Well done, mate.

But what happens if you get a non-English speaker on the other end of the line?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 17, 2008, 11:33 pm

Plan B, go back to LHD to assist.

Long haired dictionary ( LHD )

Plan C - Push 9 for English and commence CPR 30 compressions and 2 Ventilations

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » August 17, 2008, 11:36 pm

GOOD POINT! I would get through to them ok. But alot would not.If I was in some area I dont know!how would I be able to tell them!where I am!
But 9 out of 10 a Thai would be able to do that,But what if your in the middle of nowhere Not a soul about! God forbid!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 17, 2008, 11:38 pm

In my nearly 10 years in Thailand I don't think I ever saw a real ambulance with paramedics. Most of the "Emergency Road services" were converted pickup trucks that usually are owned (or so I've read in the BKK Post) by Chinese funeral parlors. That's why you'll always see the Chinese characters on those "Emergency Response" pickups that are speeding down the road. I don't think that there are any general government requirements for qualified paramedics on these vehicles nor do I think that there are any requirements for standard equipage, i.e. medical equipment. So, calling them to respond to your accident, could result in making the situation worse medically speaking.
If anyone can disprove my perceptions here please do so. Some of you may have a pipeline into where folks can get real ambulance service out on the roads..
On the flip side, I know that a few of the better hospitals in Udon (to include AEK) do have what appear to be fairly well equipped ambulances. I don't know if they respond to road accidents..
Dave

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » August 18, 2008, 12:00 am

3 years ago i was involved in a fatal road accident in Udon. The ambulance arrived in 10 minutes. Fully equipped mini bus.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 18, 2008, 12:14 am

In Khon Kaen and Udon, which im both familar with the following applies.

The Amphur Muang is divided into 4 sections and depending which area ur accident / medical emergency occurs will depend on what clincal response applies.

The repsonse is controlled by a call centre / disptach centre.

Private hospitals are exempt from this intial repsonse.

1 /- Chinese rescue pickups, I cant remember the actual name, mutinie ??? sic , these are based from the temples and can be volunteers or even crims doing parole or community hours etc. Little training or no training this and have inside a spinal board and a basic first aid kit and some carrry a well used Extrication collar ( Was it cleaned from the last blood contamination ?? ) . No Oxygen ., No Suction.
Watch ur valuables. Some people work there on weekends and do get 200 baht per shift, Seen as making merit etc.

2/- The local goverment hospital responds its ambulance. Has a crew of 2 or 3 . Driver, Hosp orderley and a Nurse. Depending on how much funding they have, the nurse might have gone to KK / Sirindorn College for a crash course in Pre Hospital Care. The equipment varies and no uniform standards. some dont have O2, in the small outlying areas and no portable suction.

3/- City Ambulances ie Udon Provincial Hospital, KK trauma centre. These have basic equipment, training as above , Portable O2 on most and suction. Crew of 3, Nurses are ER based and still dont have the Emergency Skills of a Paramedic. They provide basic life support only. Nurses do not admin drugs for resuscitation and can consult for some stuff. They can do IV's but they dont save lives.

No Defibs on ambulances except on the Kiprajak Military Hospital in Udon. BUT Nurses are not allowed under law to admin a defib.

4/- Private Hospital Ambulances, look nice , but have the same standard as above.

Scoop and run is the best policy.

There are NO Paramedics in Thailand, the law does not recognise them.

Thailand needs to focus on the basics of Resuscitation.

Airway, Breathing with O2 and Circulation with control of blood loss.

Untill they can competently keep some ones airway open and and not obstructed by the tongue / blood / debris etc, people will continue to die.

The head injury stats are shocking, if ur lucky to survive your primary head injury, then with a partially obstructed airway and no O2, u will develop a secondry brain injury as a result of the raised intercranial pressures.

These people are taken home to die 10 days after the accident or die from aspiration pneumonia coz they inhaled their own vomit whilst lying on their back with no body looking after their ABC's.

Now then who doesnt wear their helmets and who doesnt wear seat belts.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 18, 2008, 12:16 am

wazza wrote:Plan C - Push 9 for English and commence CPR 30 compressions and 2 Ventilations
30:2? We were taught 15:2 in the Air Force. But they always said that the protocols were constantly changing. We used to get taught 5:1.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 18, 2008, 12:23 am

30:2 Since Nov 2005 - International Consenus Conference.

watch this space Westers, in 2010, no body will be doing ventilations, just Compressions,

5:1 was for 2 operators, now its all 30:2.

This link is ur UK guidelines for resus. it has the posters for u to be printed out for ur workplace

http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/guide.htm

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 18, 2008, 12:28 am

Thanks. That makes sense. I did my last training day in Feb 07 and the they stopped doing practical examinations because they said things were changing. They briefed us instead and backed it up with a practical on the Resussi-Annie at 15:2.

Why are ventilations being taken away?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 18, 2008, 12:34 am

they dont work , people wont do them, getting the blue blood around with some O2 still in it is critical.issue.

CPR doesnt save lives, it prolongs death till a defib arrives, and thats only for cardiac arrests , if u cant get to a defib within say 5-6 mins max, Push 8 for Temple

Trauma deaths, - dont waste ur time doing CPR, not even 1 min of it.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 18, 2008, 3:34 am

Sir wazza wrote:In Khon Kaen and Udon, which im both familar with the following applies.

The Amphur Muang is divided into 4 sections and depending which area ur accident / medical emergency occurs will depend on what clincal response applies.

The repsonse is controlled by a call centre / disptach centre.

Private hospitals are exempt from this intial repsonse.

1 /- Chinese rescue pickups, I cant remember the actual name, mutinie ??? sic , these are based from the temples and can be volunteers or even crims doing parole or community hours etc. Little training or no training this and have inside a spinal board and a basic first aid kit and some carrry a well used Extrication collar ( Was it cleaned from the last blood contamination ?? ) . No Oxygen ., No Suction.
Watch ur valuables. Some people work there on weekends and do get 200 baht per shift, Seen as making merit etc.

2/- The local goverment hospital responds its ambulance. Has a crew of 2 or 3 . Driver, Hosp orderley and a Nurse. Depending on how much funding they have, the nurse might have gone to KK / Sirindorn College for a crash course in Pre Hospital Care. The equipment varies and no uniform standards. some dont have O2, in the small outlying areas and no portable suction.

3/- City Ambulances ie Udon Provincial Hospital, KK trauma centre. These have basic equipment, training as above , Portable O2 on most and suction. Crew of 3, Nurses are ER based and still dont have the Emergency Skills of a Paramedic. They provide basic life support only. Nurses do not admin drugs for resuscitation and can consult for some stuff. They can do IV's but they dont save lives.

No Defibs on ambulances except on the Kiprajak Military Hospital in Udon. BUT Nurses are not allowed under law to admin a defib.

4/- Private Hospital Ambulances, look nice , but have the same standard as above.

Scoop and run is the best policy.

There are NO Paramedics in Thailand, the law does not recognise them.

Thailand needs to focus on the basics of Resuscitation.

Airway, Breathing with O2 and Circulation with control of blood loss.

Untill they can competently keep some ones airway open and and not obstructed by the tongue / blood / debris etc, people will continue to die.

The head injury stats are shocking, if ur lucky to survive your primary head injury, then with a partially obstructed airway and no O2, u will develop a secondry brain injury as a result of the raised intercranial pressures.

These people are taken home to die 10 days after the accident or die from aspiration pneumonia coz they inhaled their own vomit whilst lying on their back with no body looking after their ABC's.

Now then who doesnt wear their helmets and who doesnt wear seat belts.
Excellent post/info from our very own medical man Wazza, this is just a sample of what makes this forum great...Cheers mate. =D>

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 18, 2008, 7:09 am

Point to note about the rescue services, whose trucks you often see, is that they have little formal training, their drivers are not trained and as for rescue, very limited.
Call whatever nad hope they get to you before you die, in Udon OK, outside it is in the lap of the gods, have seen often ambulance driving around looking for a house, to assist someone,
Ambulances are not the hig tech ones we have in the west, so if you ha a major accident PRAY. :D
Guns

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 18, 2008, 11:32 pm

Police >>191 Image

Crime >>195 Image

Fire >>199 Image

Traffic Control Center>> 197 Image

Highway Police>> 1193 Image

Tourist Police >>1699 Image

Tourist Service Center >> 1155 Image

Ambulance and Rescue >> 1669 Image

Medical Emergency Call >> 1554 Image

Ambulance Service Centre(bkk) >> 0 2255 1134–6 Image

Mental Health >>1667 :freak:

Health Line >>1675 Image

Provincial directory inquiries:>> 183

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 19, 2008, 7:43 am

Beer Monkey,

A thoughtful and generous gesture. I have copied and printed out the numbers and have already installed the list under the newest refrigerator magnet. I also printed one to keep in the car.

Thanks for the information in an organized format. Even our housekeeper (who does not read english) will be able to find the right number in case of an emergency.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 19, 2008, 9:09 am

Well done beer monkey, and a big thanks from us all for your thoughtful addition to our somewhat limited info.
=D> =D>
Guns

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 19, 2008, 9:22 am

Thanks BM nice summary... :D :D

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 22, 2008, 8:13 am

have spoken to Khun paul he will do a bit on TV about this and try to get it printed in Home Cable mag for all to see, hope this helps, expecially for those with no internet at home.
Guns

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » August 22, 2008, 8:47 am

BM

Where is that info from?
I know the Tourist Police is 1155 (which gets you to a national number then transferred to wherever you are located)
I am not sure what is the 'Tourist Service Centre' you have listed under 1155 ?

Taken from the reverse of a Police ID Card:

Udon Tourist Police Office - 042 211291 Fax 042 328189
'For help and Emergency Call 1155'

All Tourist Police Officers are 'supposed' to be able to speak English (Most can, some extremely well)

Add these to your list :)

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 26, 2008, 1:53 pm

The emergency numbers are also printed in the Udon Thani magazine and map.

Here's another number to add to the list:

Alcoholics Anonymous 087-1922-253, 086-7145-568, 085-0109-162 Map H6, Meeting every Wednesday 5pm

Re: Important telephone numbers - Udon Thani & Thailand

Post by skype » November 20, 2010, 11:31 am

Truly that having and keeping and important numbers are very useful to us in our everyday life..So that just in case of emergency we are easily contact them just like City Health Office,Police Station, Fire Protection and many more. So always don't forget to get attach in your mind o those important numbers.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”