Bicycle shops

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Peterplay
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by Peterplay » February 3, 2012, 1:33 pm

About one and a half years ago SanukJoe posted about a nice bike he had bought near de 5 roads intersection. I pm'd him to ask if he had been back for service and to find out where exactly the bike/bicycle shop was.
But SanukJoe seems to have left us either temporarily or permanently, or did I miss something ?

Anyway, what is a good bicycle shop now selling a more sophisticated bike - not the Lotus or BigC bikes - and where they can service as well ? Anybody knows ? Could be in KK as well for that matter.
Thanks for the input.

Shado
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by Shado » February 3, 2012, 2:17 pm

Here in some info on bikes. Might be helpful if you haven't already seen it.

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... le#p213753

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by Peterplay » February 3, 2012, 3:43 pm

Thanks Shado, never saw this thread. I will start looking how up to date the info is.

FCBasel1967
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by FCBasel1967 » February 3, 2012, 3:45 pm

Road Bike shop near Makro still exists. Bought a nice new mountain bike a few months ago with 30" wheels and some nice features.

Run by a Chinese guy who imports real bikes from China made for European and NA markets. That's why these bikes are rather on the expensive side compared to the toy bikes from Big C or Tesco. :D

fdimike
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by fdimike » February 3, 2012, 4:58 pm

There are essentially 3 high end bike shops here in Udon. I helped Sanuk Joe and another local American buy their bikes from the shop at the 5 way intersection on Prajak Rd (Udon Map N-12). The owner's name is Peter and he speaks english quite well. He's easy to deal with and can set up your bike just about anyway you want. He carries a full line of mountain and road bikes made by Merida, Giant and a couple of other brands. On 25 Feb he'll be adding the Specialized brand of bikes to his selection. He can also order just about any other bike you may want. Peter carries a decent line of accessories and apparel which may not always be on display. It's always best to ask for what you're looking for.

Peter also owns the LA Bike shop on the corner of Adunyadet Rd and Wattana Nuwong Rd (Udon Map O-10). This shop carries a full line of LA road and mountain Bikes LA bikes are not as well known as Merida or Giant but are good bikes for the biginning cyclist.

The third bike shop is Road Bike on the road which runs alongside the Goodyear tire store just up the road from Makro. They also have a full line of road and mountain bikes as well as a good selection of riding apparel and accessories.

I recently bought an American Surly Long Haul Trucker touring frame from Road Bike which ordered it from the Bangkok Distributor at a very reasonable price. The only downside to Road Bike is they don't speak very much english.

The 3 shops I've mentioned all sell what I would call high end bikes for the serious cyclist. Peter also sells what might be termed "regular single speed bicycles" at his shop at the 5 way intersection.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by Peterplay » February 5, 2012, 8:44 pm

Mike, thanks for all the info. I had a look at the LA shop, but their selection was pretty limited. The other two shops were way better in choice and quality. The road bike shop is more specialized in racing bikes, looked very professional.
I ordered my bike from the 5 rd intersection. Peter was a very busy person ondeed speaking English reasonably well.
Nice service.
So I have been paddling happily away this afternoon.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Bicycle shops

Post by fdimike » February 5, 2012, 9:06 pm

Peter

I'm glad to hear all worked out well. Peter has been really busy this past week Maybe customers are making up for when he was closed for 3 days because of the Chinese New year holiday. Don't hesitate to bring the bike back if you need any adjustments as it's normal to have gears/brakes to go out of adjustment as the cables stretch. It can be a little frustrating to a new rider but Peter can have everything back in order in a short time.

BTW: There are about 3 different riding groups here in Udon. A young group of high speed riders which like to make the run to Nong Khai every Sunday from Nong Prajak park. They usually meet around the bridge at 6:30AM. A second group of mixed ability riders (me included) who are mostly 50+ years old also meet at the bridge in Nong Prajak every Sunday at 7:00AM. We usually do an easy ride (speed wise) of about 50-100kms. Lots of guys/gals just ride a distance they're comfortable with and return home. A third group of mixed men & women riders meets at a coffee /bike repair shop just down the street from the prison. This group is organized by a local retired Dr & his wife. They usually truck the bikes out somewhere and ride in that area before trucking the bikes back. This third group also organizes around Udon city rides promoting cycling for health.

the thing to remember is you don't have to be an expert rider for the second two groups to enjoy your bike. Please join in with us on Sunday for a ride.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”