Needed: Someone to lay outside tile!

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 30, 2012, 12:48 pm

I live in Baan San Sa-Ran where all the newer homes are built with a one meter wide concrete pad around three sides of the home. I would like to have these areas tiled and have concrete poured to extend the pad in the rear an extra one meter out from the house. I haven't a clue who to contact to have this work done, so if any of my fellow forumites have used such a contractor who does good work I would genuinely appreciate hearing from you with names and phone numbers. Also, is it generally acceptable here in Udon for me to purchase the materials on my own and just pay to have them installed, or should I expect the contractor to provide materials and services? And lastly, should I shy away from anyone who asks for money up front and simply pay all upon completion of the job?

Thanks in advance for your referrals!

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » March 30, 2012, 1:23 pm

Hi,
Always buy the materials myself, you then know what you are buying. There is a lot of c**p, cheap stuff, to be bought. But for concrete, if you let the people who are putting it down buy it, make sure you get the bills for it, before paying for it, also bills can be iffy. UTU. I did this when i had my place done in pea pebble, checked with firm about costs, everything checked out O.K.
I prefer pea pebble to tiles, and concrete, when it is wet out, it has a better grip when you walk on it. IMO. Tiles can be slippy, even when they say they are non-slip. As i found out to my cost. Got a broken wrist.
Also you can put designs in different colours in pea pebble.
Cheers Doug.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » March 30, 2012, 1:40 pm

Buy the materials yourself (as Douglas suggests), that way you'll get what you want and wont have to pay materials costs up front to the tiler. There used to be an Englishman living here (Tommy) who made his own 50mm thick non-slip slabs, he is a real craftsman and always did a first class job... unfortunately, he is now retired and no longer does this so I can't recommend a good tiler.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 30, 2012, 2:10 pm

Be careful with tiles along the side of your house. Even if they have a rough surface, they can be very slippery when wet, and worse than ice if algae grow on them.
Thailand's famous for a 2-billing system. The one you get may not be what the item cost.

You're looking to do some pretty basic work......shouldn't be hard to find someone. I'd have him draw up a plan and a list of needed materials. You could even take him to a place like Global House/Home Mart and buy them together. If you pay for all the materials, ask how much he wants for his fee. If he's not buying materials, there should be no need to pay anything in advance.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » March 30, 2012, 11:23 pm

douglas wrote:I did this when i had my place done in pea pebble
Doug, are the pebbles set in concrete and how are they to clean after the rainy season?
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » March 31, 2012, 3:03 am

Ive got just he guy/team mate .. drop by the Nong Sim shop n i will pass details so your missus can negoiate ,

mash

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 31, 2012, 7:05 am

If the pea pebbles in concrete (known as sand wash finish) are not sealed with a water based concrete sealer you will have mildew problems every year which will require either pressure washing or scrubbing with a brush and chlorine. Sealing is simple. Brush on 2 coats of water based sealer and your done. The sealer is made by a number of different companies available at Global House, Tool Pro & Home Pro. Make sure you get the milky colored sealer. This does not work like silicone and similar sealers which will have to be renewed yearly. Once applied it will remain good for many years as the chemical bonds with and seals the pores in the concrete. Another thing to remember when applying this kind of finish to concrete. You will need to add some kind of bonding agent to the mix in order for the sand wash finish to adhere well to the existing concrete. This is a well known fact in the construction business throughout the developed world. The bonding agent is available here as well in Global House, Home Pro & Tool Pro.
There are true non-slip tiles available here but they are typically more expensive than their standard counterparts.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 31, 2012, 7:13 am

BTW I just noticed an ad here on UM from Ruysuk Builders. I'm sure they would be able to handle a job like this. I would price the tiles yourself first and the ask for an estimate from your contractor. Contractors may be able to get a better price for the tile than you. The same applies to the tile adhesive (cement based). Thinset cement adhesive is the choice in the US as it does not require a lot of material. Thais will typically use old technology tile adhesive which requires more material for no apparent reason. The thinset cement based tile adhesive is available at Global House under the brand name Weber. Ther may be other brands as well.

Gopod luck I hope this helps.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”