New Tires for Truck ???

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
430xc
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by 430xc » September 25, 2015, 5:55 pm

I need to buy new tires for my Ford Ranger and would like suggestions / experiences as to where to get the best value. I am not necessarily looking for the best price but value. I currently have stock tires, 245/70/16 Bridgestones

In the US, tires can be "P" for passenger car loads and "LT" for light truck loads. I do not anticipate hauling heavy loads but the LT rating may give better stability in my experience in the US on a pick-up and full size van.

Are there load comparable ratings in Thailand? I looked at my tires and it was not evident. I would like to get some unbiased information before I go shopping and not just depend on what a sales / installer tells me.

Thanks

430xc

macca46
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by macca46 » September 25, 2015, 6:11 pm

I think you will find if you look hard enough the LT sign will be there I would not advise you to use passenger, as to price I have no idea you will probably have to shop around pain in the a/se.

fatbob
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by fatbob » September 25, 2015, 7:37 pm

I always use a softer rubber tyre, it means less km's but they are better in the wet and more traction all round, the bridgestone desert duelers are very hard, you might get 60,000km out of them but I dont rate them in the wet at all.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by Khun Paul » September 25, 2015, 7:42 pm

I put Maxxis on mine this year 265/70/R cheaper then even Bridgestone , have a good overall rating by many, not as good as Michelin but they are getting expensive about 6k per tyre.
Maxxis have been around a long time and harder wearing than even Bridgestone , which I had when my car was new and they wore out in 18 mths.

waanjai
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by waanjai » September 25, 2015, 8:14 pm

Bridgetone uses - not only in Thailand - the following categories for SUV or 4x4 tyres, that distinguish between types of terrain You drive in and not the weight or sensitivity of loads.
M/T Mud Terrain
A/T All Terrain
H/T Highway Terrain
H/P Highway Performance
https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/4x4 ... ay-terrain

The all new Izuzu V-Cross 4x4 normally comes with a
"Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840
255/65R17 110S
Enjoy a superior ride and handling with this premium highway tyre for SUVs and 4x4s."

A good combination for a 4x4 that is driven in Udon Province and on highways
Outstanding wet weather traction and quiet ride - these were the most important for me.
BRIDGESTONE DUELER HT 840.jpg
BRIDGESTONE DUELER HT 840

fatbob
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by fatbob » September 26, 2015, 7:09 am

waanjai wrote: by waanjai » September 25, 2015, 8:14 pm

Bridgetone uses - not only in Thailand - the following categories for SUV or 4x4 tyres, that distinguish between types of terrain You drive in and not the weight or sensitivity of loads.
M/T Mud Terrain
A/T All Terrain
H/T Highway Terrain
H/P Highway Performance
https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/4x4 ... ay-terrain

The all new Izuzu V-Cross 4x4 normally comes with a
"Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840
255/65R17 110S
Enjoy a superior ride and handling with this premium highway tyre for SUVs and 4x4s."

A good combination for a 4x4 that is driven in Udon Province and on highways
Outstanding wet weather traction and quiet ride - these were the most important for me.

These are the worst tyres on the market, the rubber compound is like concrete, you get your 60,000 km's, but you will be slip sliding in the wet and they will squeal around corners in the dry. They came on my old Vigo, I threw them away and put Michelin's on, what a difference, Waanjai I suggest you are not mechanically minded at all.

colt1911
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by colt1911 » September 26, 2015, 9:13 am

Look for the tread wear rating. A rating in the 400s is good, 200s will wear out quickly. It is marked on the tire. I recently purchased Michelins for my car, rating 410. I went to Fitt behind the PPT station on Prajak RD near Central. They had 4 brands. The Michelins had the strongest sidewall, Fitt offered lifetime rotation and balance. They also gave me a “free” oil change with synthetic oil. They were competitively priced. Their shop is very professional clean, like the Toyota dealership. Maybe they can help you with your truck

waanjai
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by waanjai » September 26, 2015, 1:54 pm

coxo wrote:They came on my old Vigo, I threw them away and put Michelin's on.
You seem to choose tires according to color. :lol:
Michelin is a well knowm brand. As are others. They all come in black.

But You should first look at their specifications. There are dramatic differences between terrain type, car type, preferred driving behaviour etc. The big brands offer quite similar products if You first determine what You want.

So check the manufacturers distinctions first. There is no set of tires for all.

430xc
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by 430xc » September 26, 2015, 2:54 pm

Thanks all for your valuable input. First, I want safety in the wet and long life. Comfortable ride and price overall is next.

I will check out the websites before I go to the shops.

430xc

Barney
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by Barney » September 27, 2015, 8:04 am

430xc

Let us know how you went.
I have an Isuzu highlander and have been happy with the stock tyres that came with the car. They are sensitive to correct tyre pressure and tend to squeal when doing tight u turns if the pressure is low.
Good to see Colt mention tyre rotation, I thought I was the inly person in Thailand who did this. I do a 15,000 rotation and always try to get 55 to 60,000 out of my tyres. Last rotation at 45K then just let em wear out.

I have over the years had a few landcruisers in Australia and went to Yokohama Geolanders, always a good consistent tyre for a 2 ton car until they changed the tyre compound to soft for the aussie market. Not good for the extreme heat and the many dirt roads up North West Aussie. I will look at these Geolanders again when the time comes for the next set. My truck is nearly 3 now and as I say the standard setup by Isuzu has been OK, I'll get to nearly 55 or 60K.
Correct tyre pressure and rotation is your friend. :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by FrazeeDK » September 27, 2015, 9:56 am

I've got the stock tires on my four year old Isuzu D-Max Hilander 4 door cab.. I've got just shy of 50,000 km on them and they've still got good tread.. My gripe with them Is its a rough ride, road noise, and even when I've got 35-38 pounds of air in them (an even harder ride but better gas mileage) they tend to squeal a lot when making tight turns.. The next set I buy will be a road tread instead of a semi-off road tread that came stock.
Dave

fatbob
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by fatbob » September 27, 2015, 10:09 am

FrazeeDK wrote: by FrazeeDK » September 27, 2015, 9:56 am

I've got the stock tires on my four year old Isuzu D-Max Hilander 4 door cab.. I've got just shy of 50,000 km on them and they've still got good tread.. My gripe with them Is its a rough ride, road noise, and even when I've got 35-38 pounds of air in them (an even harder ride but better gas mileage) they tend to squeal a lot when making tight turns.. The next set I buy will be a road tread instead of a semi-off road tread that came stock.
Your tyre's are four years old, in hot climates 2 years is all they will last, the rubber becomes hard, that is why they squeal on corners, in Abu Dhabi tyre's lasted 18 months max then they were throw away's, the rubber was cooked. I replace the tyre's on my big bike every 18 months regardless of tread, I like to stick to the road as opposed to skidding down the highway on my arse, soft tyre compounds are the way to go, good traction and less road noise, they are throw away's after two years anyway if safety is your main concern.

JR
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by JR » September 28, 2015, 9:15 pm

First, you cannot compare bike tires with car tires. They are two worlds.
Second. My Isuzu had Bridgestone Dueler as standard rubber and they are useless in the dry, very little grip. And they are literally lethal in the wet.
I changed to Nitto Grappler H/T and had no problem since. The difference to the Duelers is enormous. Isuzu says run 29psi on all tires. I run 30 rear and 35 front as the front is heavier if you are not loading up.

waanjai
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by waanjai » September 28, 2015, 9:52 pm

JR wrote:Second. My Isuzu had Bridgestone Dueler as standard rubber and they are useless in the dry, very little grip. And they are literally lethal in the wet.
Ah, I see - Rubber-Gate arrived.
It is not a matter of measurement but a matter of "feeling". And the producers are cheating the tests, Yes.
Look, what they write about the:

Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840

"Designed as a premium highway tyre for SUVs and 4x4s that require maximum ride quality and road holding.
It delivers superior dry and wet road performance without sacrificing ride comfort and is original equipment on the Nissan Navara
* Excellent grip in wet and dry conditions
* Low road noise for a more comfortable ride"

https://www.bridgestonetyres.com.au/dueler-ht-d840

Well, that is obviously a lie! :shock:
Or could it be that You never looked at more than the brand name? Forgot to look at the model?
But tyres are different from chewing gum. :lol:

Sport
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by Sport » September 28, 2015, 10:25 pm

I do not want to change the topic too much, but here is my opinion of Bridgestone, albeit for a 4 door sedan. In Australia many years ago I had a 1970 Ford XWGT with a tricked up motor. Put 4 new Bridgestones on her and without doubt she stuck to the road like glue, I got 5000 miles (8000 klms) out of the set after rotation, back to the drawing board. Would I buy them again for a high performance vehicle....yes I would.

JR
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by JR » September 29, 2015, 8:12 am

I did not buy them for my truck. They are standard equipment on Isuzu. Still are.

430xc
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by 430xc » October 5, 2015, 4:07 pm

In Udon, I found several offers. Michelin Lattitude Tour for 5350 baht each. Bridgestone Dueler for 5000 baht and Yokohama Geolandar HTS for 4500 baht each. There are small perks at each shop, oil change, alignment, etc

Does anyone have experience with Yokohama? Is the extra money for the Michelin worth the extra price?

Thanks

430xc

kubotatim
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by kubotatim » October 5, 2015, 4:09 pm

Short answer No.

JR
udonmap.com

New Tires for Truck ???

Post by JR » October 5, 2015, 4:48 pm

430xc wrote:In Udon, I found several offers. Michelin Lattitude Tour for 5350 baht each. Bridgestone Dueler for 5000 baht and Yokohama Geolandar HTS for 4500 baht each. There are small perks at each shop, oil change, alignment, etc

Does anyone have experience with Yokohama? Is the extra money for the Michelin worth the extra price?

Thanks

430xc
Both Michelin and Yokohama are better than Bridgestone Dueler. You decide what your life is worth.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”