Where to Buy Good Pork Ribs for BBQ

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
430xc
udonmap.com

Where to Buy Good Pork Ribs for BBQ

Post by 430xc » August 30, 2016, 5:48 am

After having BBQ'd some fine pork ribs in the USA this summer, I am looking for a source to buy good pork ribs in Udon. I looked at Makro and just as I have been told, what I saw was racks of ribs which have been striped of most of the meat. I want some baby back or St. Louis style ribs with lots of meat, not just bones to chew on.

Thanks for any suggestions.

430xc

pal52
udonmap.com

Re: Where to Buy Good Pork Ribs for BBQ

Post by pal52 » August 30, 2016, 7:25 am

Papafarang used to get excellent ribs when he used to sell them in BBQ or Chinese sauce.
He got them from a stall at the back of Ban Huai market.
The woman used to save the big ones with lots of meat on them for him.
Ban Huai market is on the crossroads of Dutsadai Rd & Phon Phisai road.
Go into the market from Dutsadai road & go to the back of the market.
There are not many stalls at the back of the market selling pork.
You will need someone who speaks Thai with you.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » August 30, 2016, 8:15 am

Muang Thong Charoensi Market. (Near Makro). Primarily the fruit n veg market. If you put that in Google Maps you will get a photo NEARLY showing you where the stall is.
I order the day before; usually 4-6 kg. Well worth it at 160 baht per. Fresh that morning. There is only one pork vendor there - Near where they sell the fish. Shes the real deal. You need to order though if you want racks. Just say Bar bee queue. And how many kilo. All will be well. Im happy at the extra few baht for quaranteed fresh n loaded. GL

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 30, 2016, 8:35 am

My wife gets pork ribs for me to barbecue at Ban Huai market, the full slab, instead of the halved ones that are usually found in the meat display cases. Sometimes she will just let the pork vendor at our local fresh market know what she wants and they will cut to order. Once the missus understood what I was looking for and why, finding the ribs has been fairly easy.

Most of the ribs I've been able to find are St. Louis cut or spare ribs. I've not found any true baby back ribs but that really hasn't been a problem as the others have been pretty meaty.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 30, 2016, 8:42 am

we buy ours in the Thai Siri fresh market on the Sakon Nakon highway about 3km east of the Big C overpass. The meat section is in the backside of the market.. The wife generally goes in a few days in advance and orders XX kilos. They butcher early each morning so on the day of pickup we'll go in around 6:30AM and pick them up.. The seller will slice and cut the ribs to your order and bag them.. They've always had a good bit of meat on them and been quite tasty.. The only downside is they chop them with their cleaver which can leave bits of bone...
Dave

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » August 30, 2016, 8:49 am

My wife ran a popular restaurant with notably tasty BBQ Ribs and got the pork from BAN HUAY market.
Attachments
Selection_151.png
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » August 31, 2016, 6:07 am

Many thanks to all who responded. I will definitely check out your suggestions.

Cheers

430xc

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 31, 2016, 7:19 am

The pork shop in Ning Bua Market does absolutely everything pork related but the more expensive ribs, they do two types, are absolutely the best.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 31, 2016, 12:27 pm

Imagine Porkhouse would also be stocking quality Ribs as well

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 31, 2016, 1:47 pm

Just Back home from Tesco NONG KHAI, Saw some really Big,Meaty Ribs ( Fresh Cut ) As well there..

Porkhouseco
udonmap.com

Post by Porkhouseco » September 1, 2016, 3:55 pm

Correct Wazza
Porkhouse will be stocking a full range of both Pork and beef ribs in the near future

P.Oconnor

430xc
udonmap.com

Post by 430xc » October 10, 2016, 5:52 pm

I want to report back to members. Thank you for all your responses. We purchased several kilos of pork ribs from a lady at the back of the Ban Huai market in Udon. We talked to her several days in advance and confirmed our order the night before we wanted to pick it up. We paid 140 baht per kilo.

When we cooked and bbq'd them, we were very pleased. They tasted very good and had quite a bit of meat on them. We will probably buy more from her. We may also try some other sources for comparison.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Cheers

430xc

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » October 10, 2016, 5:58 pm

Worth considering is a NEW outlet on Pratcha Santi Road.. about 20 metres from our internet cafe.. 200 yards on the right down the road. 120 baht per kilo. NO chemicals fed to pig stock. Freshly bumped each day. Our ribs were still body warm.... bit ugg but there we go. I buy slabs in 2kg chunks. Meaty etc. It was the relatively organic aspect that we favoured although we didn't complain at the 120 price. They sell ALL the pork meat at the same price.. butt.. side etc.

WizzWanger67
udonmap.com

Post by WizzWanger67 » October 12, 2016, 4:40 pm

When you say outlet do you mean a proper shop or stall type set up? cheers

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”