Turnip or Swede

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
MrBlueSky
udonmap.com

Turnip or Swede

Post by MrBlueSky » November 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy a turnip or swede in Udon Thani? I have tried Villamarket and Topps but neither sell them. Also looking for chipolata sausages.

Thanks in advance.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Turnip or Swede

Post by parrot » November 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

The Royal Project Store website has a page on turnips......but whether they're available in Udon, not sure. The RPS store is on the bottom floor of Central, near the book stores.

Seeds for turnips and swede are available on a variety of Thai websites, including http://www.ubgarden.com/product/880/%E0 ... 8%E0%B8%94

MrBlueSky
udonmap.com

Post by MrBlueSky » November 22, 2017, 12:38 pm

Thanks, I'll have a look tomorrow.

UdonThaniPete
udonmap.com

Post by UdonThaniPete » November 22, 2017, 2:18 pm

Last time we bought Swede was in Villa Market, needed it for Cornish Pastys, unfortunately they have not had any for quite some time, my wife actually ordered some a few days ago, so when she gets the call that they are in, I will update you, I may add they were very expensive compared to UK Pprices, never seen a turnip.
A pessimist see’s a difficulty in every opportunity,
A optimist see’s an opportunity in every difficulty,
I am the latter.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2017, 2:26 pm

Turnips and swedes like rhubarb are seasonal and out of season right now.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » November 22, 2017, 5:56 pm

MrBlueSky wrote:
November 21, 2017, 3:53 pm
Does anyone know where I can buy a turnip or swede in Udon Thani? I have tried Villamarket and Topps but neither sell them. Also looking for chipolata sausages.

Thanks in advance.
They had swedes about one month in Makro, but with no luck. I believe it was a test, but timing was bad. Like in Finland we use swede to make Christmas dinner and it is not yet time for that.

Price was about 400+ thb/kilo. Those were packed as one kilo per pack. I would have bought just for test, but not whole kilo. Now they have returned those and not selling anymore (at least over one week not found those).

If you want those from Makro, they take orders. I have ordered i.e. grapefruit juice for me, because they do not stock it. Other Makro branches do. Same with swede etc. Turnip size swede costs about 150 thb.

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » December 3, 2017, 12:55 pm

MrBlueSky wrote:
November 21, 2017, 3:53 pm

Thanks in advance.
Turnips are widely available in most supermarkets and markets.

They don't look anything like UK turnips (they are like white oversized carrots) but they taste the same.

;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 3, 2017, 1:21 pm

Those are Asian Radish (or Daikon) I believe Owld Feller..

Owld Feller
udonmap.com

Post by Owld Feller » December 4, 2017, 1:48 pm

BobHelm wrote:
December 3, 2017, 1:21 pm
Those are Asian Radish (or Daikon) I believe Owld Feller..
Many thanks for the info'

I'm happy, though, to think of them as Thai turnips because their texture and flavour is indistinguishable (to me) from UK turnips and have now used them many times in stews and casseroles.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » March 23, 2018, 7:35 pm

tamada wrote:
November 22, 2017, 2:26 pm
Turnips and swedes like rhubarb are seasonal and out of season right now.
Now it is the end of turnip season. Got some white real turnips from Royal Shop. Snowball or similar. Taste a little bit like turnip/swede. I prefer Golden Ball or similar, meaning yellow turnip. Taste is really good.

It seems that best ones are grown in pot (everyone can grow) and not so good looking ones in ground. Best time to grow starts at the end of November. After snails. Need to be sunny place, not shadow. Very easy to grow here. Same with potatoes. Exact same time and light.

My experience is that one must to be good to talk ---- or know, where to get real buffalo ----. I used both, mostly because of ants. Those are really painful.

This is what I have seen only in Phuket, not anywhere else. Snowballs are more common, but not everywhere.

Regarding the price.

About 150 seeds and I got 15 real size good turnip. Snails managed to eat some first and then some catepillars. Watering was also difficult and some were destroyed by overloading water. Put seeds and ---- to pot is the easiest and best way to grow.

In this pic I have one nice looking Golden Ball and of course from pot. Others are from ground. Taste and texture are almost same.

Please, if you can not grow turnips using four stars brandy, do not blame my.
Attachments
29497922_10156167776852641_5794723262621879234_n.jpg

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”