Isuzu OEM in dash GPS

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
glalt
udonmap.com

Isuzu OEM in dash GPS

Post by glalt » May 9, 2018, 12:47 pm

I have a 2015 Isuzu V-Cross. It has a Clarion entertainment system. I do like the backup camera and the ability to play music or audiobooks from a memory stick. The GPS sucks. Missing roads and routing that is not to be trusted. I had the maps updated and they are still out of date.

A couple weeks ago the system died, no backup camera and no stereo. I took the truck in for regular service and pointed out the dead GPS. The dealer took down all the fault numbers and called Bangkok. Bangkok is sending a new memory chip. I have no confidence that will fix it. If that doesn't work they will have to send the unit to Bangkok for repair. It would take two months to get it back. I'm not at all happy to see the hole in the dash for the two months.

If the chip doesn't fix it, I will be looking for a replacement rather than waiting for a repaired unit that has very poor maps anyways. If I could find a replacement unit that has Garmin maps installed, that would be a huge plus. Yes, I know it will be expensive but a unit that sucks is not much better than nothing. If I cannot find a unit that has good often upgraded maps, I would settle for a unit that allows me to use the backup camera,stereo and will play a USB memory stick.

I would be quite happy to use my on dash Garmin rather than a crappy in dash GPS. At least the Garmin has all the roads and good routing.

My question is if anyone knows a shop in Loei or Udon that specializes in this kind of service. I don't want a cheap unit and am willing to pay the premium for a quality unit.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Isuzu OEM in dash GPS

Post by BobHelm » May 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

K i n g Kong Audio on the Adunlayadet Road - very near the traffic lights with the Watthananuwong Road - would be the first place in Udon that I would go.
Map.png
Mouse click to enlarge

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 9, 2018, 3:48 pm

Thanks for that. I have it programmed in my little Garmin. If the chip doesn't fix the crap in dash unit, I'll be headed over there.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 10, 2018, 1:29 pm

I got a call from Isuzu that they have the new chip and to bring the truck to the dealer. I was surprised that the new chip fixed it. The bad news is that the crap GPS is not covered by the warranty. It cost me 1,036 baht. The map is still crap and all my waypoints are gone. I discovered that when I figured out how to get English back on. At least everything else works properly.

I'll just trust the on dash Garmin on trips.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » May 10, 2018, 2:25 pm

glalt wrote:
May 10, 2018, 1:29 pm
I got a call from Isuzu that they have the new chip and to bring the truck to the dealer. I was surprised that the new chip fixed it. The bad news is that the crap GPS is not covered by the warranty. It cost me 1,036 baht. The map is still crap and all my waypoints are gone. I discovered that when I figured out how to get English back on. At least everything else works properly.

I'll just trust the on dash Garmin on trips.
Good news and glad to hear. Filing that info.

Even my Garmin acted up a couple of times (for 2 different issues), and I had to send it off for repairs -- once to BKK and once to the US. Both fixed it better than it was when it was new. I've used 3 or 4 different brands of GPS, and I still say you can't beat a Garmin. #1.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”