Big Bike Service

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Big Bike Service

Post by BKK-Udon » September 5, 2020, 7:58 am

Good morning gents, Can you kindly help me find:

Todays service needed is a shop to dismount old tires from the wheels, mount new tires in the correct rotational direction, and effectively balance the tires/wheels using a computerized balancer.

There is a pretty big shop on the car accessories street near Rajaphat Uni. called 40 s’thing service. Talked to a kid and a service guy there. He said they have a machine in the back, but neither was particularly helpful or interested. (Poor attitude=not off on the right foot in my opinion.)

The tire importer website where I ordered Metzeler tires from Bangkok shows a shop in Nongkai as a dealer, Q shop or Q motorparts. Helpful enough on the phone, opened today and seemingly interested in my business.

Before I make the drive, are there any decent shops locally? Tomorrows service question will be about fine tuning 4 carbs, as I’m not sure I have them quite right after doing a teardown and cleaning. Will be easier to tell once I have wheels and tires on the Hornet! :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Big Bike Service

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 5, 2020, 8:41 am

BKK-Udon wrote:
September 5, 2020, 7:58 am

Tomorrows service question will be about fine tuning 4 carbs, as I’m not sure I have them quite right after doing a teardown and cleaning. Will be easier to tell once I have wheels and tires on the Hornet! :lol:
For that you need a company/mechanic that has a 4 vacuum gage setup, it’s the only way you will get them properly balanced and even then you either need an experienced mechanic or a lot of time and very forgiving neighbours DAMHIKT
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » September 5, 2020, 8:59 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
September 5, 2020, 8:41 am

For that you need a company/mechanic that has a 4 vacuum gage setup, it’s the only way you will get them properly balanced and even then you either need an experienced mechanic or a lot of time and very forgiving neighbours DAMHIKT
Today I need a computerized wheel balancer. I wonder if Big Wing has one?

I once rigged up a DIY vaccum system with 4 hoses containing ATF. Worked a treat. This time, I was careful not to mess with sync, cleaned jets, needles, pilot screws without breaking apart the bank. I had a bit of lagging idle return at first (too lean and/or vaccum leak). LOL yer neighbors! I may turn my bike around and point it that side now you mention it! :evil:

Google shows big bike station, but street view seems like nothing there. Any big bike mechanics in Udon?

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 5, 2020, 2:11 pm

i will tell you , there are probably (10) private big
bike shops in town . and all capable of mounting
new tires & performing a " static balance" . that is
to say, a little jig on bench with a spindle and cone
flanges to spin wheel by hand , and find heavy end

" dynamic balance " or a spinning of wheel at speed to find side-to-side imbalance. is much less
critical because mass/ weight distribution is so close to centerline. in fact, even if you get someone to spin it on gear for car, they will most likely still only do static balance. provided they even have the adaptors. race shops don't do it .

now, contrast that with 12-14 inch wide wheel on truck or suv. and wobble, dynamic bal helpful google some vids on motocy wheel balancing

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 5, 2020, 2:22 pm

addendum: not intended to be a treatise on wheel
balancing. all kids lumbering about on 600cc machines, even more on 150's. i've wondered m'self what kind of balancing the shops do, if any
at all. never ever seen scooter tire done. why :-k

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » September 5, 2020, 3:11 pm

not sure if the Big Bike shop ( harleys and things ) is still out on the Ring Road, between airport and original Tesco..

andymu
udonmap.com

Post by andymu » September 5, 2020, 4:13 pm

At the rear of Tukcom is a shop Bigbike Station. I get my tyres there for my Honda Cbr1000rr sp, excellent service. They they will balance and fit no problem and have a good selection of tyres.

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 7, 2020, 3:48 am

what happened to our mystery rider? awaiting the
misfortunes of carb synchronization episode 2 s 1

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » September 7, 2020, 9:54 am

Decided to try Big Wing, not knowing if there was still an actual Honda dealer there. Sure enough, behind the big Cub Coffee shop is a full service dealer with showroom. They have a modern
Italian balancing machine and a technician trained in its proper use. His certificate is taped to the front of it. The service girl speaks great English, the techs not so much. New tires mounted and balanced, bar ends purchased from stock (shock!), free coffee from the Cub Cafe while waiting. Decked out 1100cc Africa Twin, CBR1000 and a selection of other brand new bikes on display. Test rides available, unlike the last time I was in there ~10 years ago.

I remember that grey importer of big bikes and stuff out on the N ring road, will try and find them for kicks. Will also look for Bug Bike Station near Tukcom. There is also a busy service shop diagonal across the big intersection from Big Wing. Tons of old bikes in various stages of (dis) repair. He pointed me to a shop somewhere ‘across from the prison, turn left’ for 4 cylnder carb work.

Thanks!

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » September 7, 2020, 11:25 am

maybe a corghi . for lite automotive and with adaptor gear, motocy wheels. computer assist
laser pointer, 150,000฿ piece of gear, but exactly
what type of balancing are they doing with it on
bikes. and is it better than a 50$ bench rig :-k
images.jpg

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”