Sunscreen

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Sunscreen

Post by jackspratt » October 6, 2020, 8:58 pm

Has anyone seen reasonably priced sunscreen (SPF 40 or better) on their travels through the Udon shops?

I am also currently researching on Lazada, but my impression is that sunscreen in any reasonable volume is seen as a luxury good here (similar to overpriced cosmetics), and priced accordingly.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Sunscreen

Post by stattointhailand » October 6, 2020, 9:09 pm

cheaper to buy a hoodie and gloves ......... and stay out of the sun

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 6, 2020, 9:20 pm

A suggestion would be that Ngeesoon warehouse affair on the Nong Bua Lamphu road. It seems to be a lot cheaper than anywhere in town for toiletries etc. I’m sure I’ve seen some sun creams on the shelves but didn’t notice price, sorry.

Just a word of caution though, in my previous life I used to be involved in the manufacture of sun creams & the SPF rating degrades over time, typically halving in two years, more so if not stored in a cool dark place. Make sure to check out the manufacture date usually ink jetted on the bottle
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 6, 2020, 9:26 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
October 6, 2020, 9:09 pm
cheaper to buy a hoodie and gloves ......... and stay out of the sun
Not real easy when you are cycling 50km or more during the day - but thanks for the suggestion.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 6, 2020, 9:31 pm

Niggly wrote:
October 6, 2020, 9:20 pm
A suggestion would be that Ngeesoon warehouse affair on the Nong Bua Lamphu road. It seems to be a lot cheaper than anywhere in town for toiletries etc. I’m sure I’ve seen some sun creams on the shelves but didn’t notice price, sorry.

Just a word of caution though, in my previous life I used to be involved in the manufacture of sun creams & the SPF rating degrades over time, typically halving in two years, more so if not stored in a cool dark place. Make sure to check out the manufacture date usually ink jetted on the bottle
Thanks Niggles - I will check them out next time I am in the big smoke.

I usually bring a 500ml bottle back with me from Oz - where it is dirt cheap, and must be certified. Unfortunately the bottle I bought back 12 months ago is about to run out, and in these uncertain times, not sure when I will get back to buy another.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 6, 2020, 9:33 pm

or may be VIP (near Global traffic lights) .......like Niggly's suggestion, i've never actually looked for sun lotions, but other toiletries do tend to be cheaper than most shops in town centre. Might be worth checking if your in the area

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 6, 2020, 9:35 pm

Cheers, I'll look there as well if nothing online, or Ngeesoon.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » October 6, 2020, 9:49 pm

Watsons website has 254 sun screen items. Although some are poxy little 5ml face serums there are some normal size lotions. I notice a Watsons own brand SPF50 100ml for 105 baht which doesn’t sound too bad to me. However, don’t know how that compares to dirt cheap in Aus.
They do click & collect so a trip to store wouldn’t be wasted with an out of stock.

https://www.watsons.co.th/search?q=Sun% ... veryType=#
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 26, 2020, 8:53 am

I found what I am looking for, on Lazada.

150ml of SPF 60+ at < TBH100.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/my-ch ... z&search=1

Arrived quickly, and has an expiry date in June 2023.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » October 26, 2020, 2:36 pm

Hopefully Mr Sprat you have highlighted the need for members that the sunscreen and the safety message is taken onboard.
I do forget to at times myself to apply thinking its only a short time in the garden. But with my fair skin there is no short time.
All UM members will find plenty of info online about sunscreen but, myself being involved for many years with outside workers and the one having to constantly advise and provide sunscreen and correct clothing for my workers makes it part of my daily thinking. I have purchased SPF 50 work shirts from the aussie work clothing shops for me and the missus. if you can buy SPF 50 clothing then do so for garending etc. Fishing equipment retailers at home provide a good light weight SPF shirt when boating. Lots of clothing does not screen the UVA/B rays, especially when sweating and clinging to the body.
Sunscreen last only about 2 hours so, needs to be reapplied regularly.
Put it on 10 or 15 minutes before exposure, it takes the sunscreen a little time to soak into the skin, and that soaking in time taken you are not fully protected.
Whatever the SPF number, high or low, is only an indication of the high or low protection. The higher number does not mean longer protection.

Stay safe and make sure your little ones are covered.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 26, 2020, 3:16 pm

if you have a shopee account?
https://shopee.co.th/%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%B1 ... 2163919754
150 gram,
you can always use this website to get price comparison of many things
https://www.priceza.com/s/%E0%B8%A3%E0% ... e-sunblock
as info ... ;)

Airportwo
udonmap.com

Post by Airportwo » October 27, 2020, 6:04 pm

I stopped using it years ago as too many questions on what is safe?
If it contains avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene, homosalate, octisalate and octinoxate, all six active ingredients are readily absorbed into the bloodstream of humans, at concentrations that surpass a safety threshold.
Buyer beware!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 27, 2020, 6:39 pm

Up2U.

UV from the sun is a proven cause of skin cancers.

I'm happy to mitigate that as best I can at this stage of my life. Hopefully not too late - after the total lack of available information when I was baking myself in the sun in my earlier years, in pursuit of the desirable sun tan.

tinpeeba
udonmap.com

Post by tinpeeba » October 28, 2020, 2:27 am

Airportwo wrote:
October 27, 2020, 6:04 pm
I stopped using it years ago as too many questions on what is safe?
If it contains avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene, homosalate, octisalate and octinoxate, all six active ingredients are readily absorbed into the bloodstream of humans, at concentrations that surpass a safety threshold.
Buyer beware!
Ingredients of MyChoice Sunblock as listed by this ebay seller https://www.ebay.com/c/2144536345:
Ingredient: Water, Zinc Oxide, Dimethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Glycol, Polysorbate 60, Isoprppyl Palmitate, Glycolic Acid, Mineral Oil, Carbomer, Collagen, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Retinol (Vitamin A), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Fragrance Made In Thailand

Manufactured by Re-x Product Co.,Ltd

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”