The all-new where to buy bacon thread

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
tamada
udonmap.com

The all-new where to buy bacon thread

Post by tamada » January 28, 2022, 11:20 am

The locally produced bacon offerings are all much of a muchness, always smoked and shrinks like all buggery.

I find the unsmoked middle and back cuts that are made for foreigners are mostly tasteless and packed with water so you get that nasty scum on everything.

I have heard that some of the bacon offerings in Makro are quite decent but I didn't see any middle or back bacon, usually the same streaky stuff, probably all smoked as well?

I was pleasantly surprised with some Yorkies skin on streaky bacon I tried the other day. I haven't bought their stuff in years since it was all getting tasteless and overpriced. This bacon fried up nice, smells and tastes good with minimal shrinkage and no scum. Anyone tried their other bacon cuts?

The floor is now open.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stereolab
udonmap.com

Re: The all-new where to buy bacon thread

Post by stereolab » January 28, 2022, 3:55 pm

The best bacon I came across in Udon Villa Market freezer , sadly no longer available,
came in smoked and non-smoked, equivalent to the Tulip brand in the UK, sadly missed.
The Yorkies skin-on is a reasonable substitute . Best, in my opinion, is from C2MU, a Prime Foods
product, thin, smoked with maple, quite delicious. Avoid the thick cut though.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 28, 2022, 4:15 pm

stereolab wrote:
January 28, 2022, 3:55 pm
The best bacon I came across in Udon Villa Market freezer , sadly no longer available,
came in smoked and non-smoked, equivalent to the Tulip brand in the UK, sadly missed.
The Yorkies skin-on is a reasonable substitute . Best, in my opinion, is from C2MU, a Prime Foods
product, thin, smoked with maple, quite delicious. Avoid the thick cut though.
Yes, I remember getting that imported bacon when Villa had their first outlet at Tukcom. I find the Prime foods unsmoked bacon totally flavorless and it has that water injection, scum thing going on when cooking. I'm trying to get away from smoked or flavored stuff. Maybe they do that to make it taste of anything. Anyway, I'll give the thin maple smoked a go.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » January 28, 2022, 5:27 pm

I have never found good bacon in Udon, so I always sprinkle a little salt and ground peppercorn on just one side while cooking in a frying pan, and it really brings out the flavor.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » January 28, 2022, 6:15 pm

Anyone had a go at doing their own?ive thought about it but not got round to it,loads of vids on youtube you can buy the curing mix on lazada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRa7byYbMY4&t=321s
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 28, 2022, 6:26 pm

thewatchman wrote:
January 28, 2022, 6:15 pm
Anyone had a go at doing their own?ive thought about it but not got round to it,loads of vids on youtube you can buy the curing mix on lazada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRa7byYbMY4&t=321s
Not a bad idea mate. Will take a bit of experimenting to get things to an acceptable level. All seems to be based on Pig Belly streaky type bacon favoured by North Americans but there was a guy in Pattaya when I lived there who had many types of cuts and not one was injected with water. Bloody excellent but a bit pricey. You gets what you pay for.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 28, 2022, 6:38 pm

Bacon is NOT bacon unless it is smoked.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 28, 2022, 6:52 pm

thewatchman wrote:
We did it on a work site in China when we had four field crews gagging for any sort of bacon. Some guys bought the curing mix and parephernalia from Australia and the mechanics built an impressive smoker. We found you could inject and cure and smoke just about any local "mystery meat" and make it taste like bacon.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 28, 2022, 6:57 pm

tamada wrote:
January 28, 2022, 6:52 pm
thewatchman wrote:
We did it on a work site in China when we had four field crews gagging for any sort of bacon. Some guys bought the curing mix and parephernalia from Australia and the mechanics built an impressive smoker. We found you could inject and cure and smoke just about any local "mystery meat" and make it taste like bacon.
Yes, same in most Middle East countries, beef, chicken and turkey bacon were all pretty acceptable. The Chinese would have being using field rats mixed with road kill. :-&

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 28, 2022, 6:57 pm

glalt wrote:
January 28, 2022, 6:38 pm
Bacon is NOT bacon unless it is smoked.
I don't mind smoked bacon, just bored with it. Wiltshire back bacon from the UK isn't smoked, it's dry-cured. Neither is Canadian bacon. I like the taste of pork, not chemicals. I reckon hardly any of the locally, mass produced smoked bacon is really smoked. They use chemicals, just like we did in China and if you go overboard, it's inedible.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » January 29, 2022, 10:37 am

Unfortunately most bacon is NOT really smoked. The flavor and preservatives are chemicals. My grandfather had his own smokehouse and the majority of home raised pork was smoked without chemicals. Salt was the main additive.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 29, 2022, 12:41 pm

Chocolate covered bacon.
Attachments
1920px-ChocolateCoveredBaconStick.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 29, 2022, 3:31 pm

Chocolate covered bacon? ......some clown will deep fry a Mars bar next :-&

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » January 29, 2022, 6:27 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 29, 2022, 3:31 pm
I dare you to go to Glasgow and repeat that loudly at 10pm of an evening in a crowded central area. If you ever get back I will refund the flight and medical costs.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 29, 2022, 10:17 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 29, 2022, 3:31 pm
Here you go Statts

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » January 30, 2022, 11:31 am

Before it closed l bought very good smoked bacon from The Good Corner Restauant/ Bar in Nong Khai.
I assume the bar with same name at entrance to Nutty Park will have it also. I buy my bread there so will ask next time I go.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”