Health Insurance-Married to a Government worker

Insurance -- Do you need it? Where to buy it?
Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Health Insurance-Married to a Government worker

Post by Kenr6583 » August 8, 2020, 7:11 am

Next year, hopefully, I will be returning to Thailand following my retirement and will be getting married to a school teacher. She is telling me that I will be getting free health insurance because she is a government employee. My question(s), is anyone else in / has been in this situation and will this insurance suffice with immigration when applying for a marriage visa? Thanks for any responses.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Re: Health Insurance-Married to a Government worker

Post by kopkei » August 8, 2020, 12:32 pm

you do not need a health insurance if you arrive with a non o , (would be stupid to come on a non OA)and making extension based on marriage ....and yes the + side of being married with a government employee is that you are also covered by her insurance , the downside...beware government employees and surely teachers are the ones most in debt due to the cheaper loans they get , a friend of mine also befriended a teacher ,and she was only interested in getting a supply to pay all her outstanding loans which were extensive , lucky he realized this in time ....good luck ;)

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 8, 2020, 1:29 pm

kopkei wrote:
August 8, 2020, 12:32 pm
you do not need a health insurance if you arrive with a non o , (would be stupid to come on a non OA)and making extension based on marriage ....and yes the + side of being married with a government employee is that you are also covered by her insurance , the downside...beware government employees and surely teachers are the ones most in debt due to the cheaper loans they get , a friend of mine also befriended a teacher ,and she was only interested in getting a supply to pay all her outstanding loans which were extensive , lucky he realized this in time ....good luck ;)

Absolutely correct Kopkei! When a government teacher gets her certification they will automatically qualify for roughly a 1.4 Million Baht line of credit with something like the teacher's credit union. Most of them run it up to the limit very quickly and are in debt for 30 years. It would be wise for any prospective husband of a school teacher to bring this matter to the attention of his fiancee and confirm her particular case.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » August 8, 2020, 1:57 pm

kopkei wrote:
Really? I have O extension Visa. You saying if I go out the country, I can return without a health insurance. "(Covering $100,000 )".I m married with Thai wife,But not a government employee.
If you are correct, I will be over the moon!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 8, 2020, 2:08 pm

the op is talking coming next year hopefully beyond covid times and rules ?

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 8, 2020, 9:33 pm

choi choi wrote:
August 8, 2020, 1:57 pm
kopkei wrote:
Really? I have O extension Visa. You saying if I go out the country, I can return without a health insurance. "(Covering $100,000 )".I m married with Thai wife,But not a government employee.
If you are correct, I will be over the moon!
Under the old exit/entry rules of 2019, YES. You could have left and then re-entered Thailand, without the need to have the Long Stay Insurance in place (which at that time was on TB 400,000 plus for those on Non Imm O-A). My understanding was that those on "O" type were exempt from needing any insurance, at that time, when travelling back in.

But not so sure under the new Covid 19 Restriction rules, which apparently demands that any FOREIGNER re-entering Thailand, regardless of the reason/visa type (Work, O Type, Student etc), must have their USD 100,000 Covid 19 Medical Insurance, in place, in order to enter through the Bangkok Airport Immigration, Now.

Who knows if the Thai Government will relax this Restriction/Requirement of Foreigners needing to have USD 100,000 Covid 19 Medical Insurance to re-enter, somewhere in the future. Although, I fear this "Horse has Bolted" and this Thai Restriction/Requirement, is here to stay for a long time. [-o< [-o<

My suggestion would be to those in Thailand, to sit tight in Thailand for as long as you can. If not get ready to buy that Insurance if you leave. I might be wrong, but I smell a "Rat". :-k :-k

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 9, 2020, 12:37 am

I appreciate everyone's response. My intention is to come in on a 90-day non O Visa, get married, then apply for an extension (permission to stay) based on marriage. Covid-19 aside, I was interested in knowing if the free health insurance I would be getting because I am married to a government employee would be all the insurance I would need for the marriage visa. I understand that if this covid-19 is still in place I will be needing covid-19 insurance to get into the country. But I'll deal with that with the time comes. But I know the consulate's office now is closed here in Houston, and I'm not sure if the Thai embassy is open in the United States, so it will be interesting to see if I can even get a 90-day O Visa anytime soon. But of course I will not apply for it until I am only a couple months away from going to Thailand.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 9, 2020, 10:26 am

I have a friend who is married to a Thai government worker. He has some health problems and always goes back to Norway for medical care. I have never asked him, but am now curious why he always goes back home for treatment. He is in Norway right now and getting back to Thailand is apparently a problem. He had a farang bar here but it is now closed, gutted and gone. He also has a daughter with his Thai wife.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 9, 2020, 4:22 pm

I have an Aussie neighbor married to a retired Thai teacher. He gets medical care through her government medical program...
Dave

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 10, 2020, 6:26 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
August 9, 2020, 4:22 pm
I have an Aussie neighbor married to a retired Thai teacher. He gets medical care through her government medical program...
And when he renews his Visa that's the only medical insurance documentation he needs?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2020, 7:10 am

AFAIK, the 'O' visa doesn't need proof of insurance either to get the visa overseas or extend it in-country. That applies only to O-A visas and extensions doesn't it?

Covid-19 US$100k insurance is required by all visitors. Looking at the Covid-19 coverages offered by the half-dozen local insurance companies, I doubt that a Thai teacher's health insurance would come close.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 10, 2020, 7:30 am

tamada wrote:
August 10, 2020, 7:10 am
AFAIK, the 'O' visa doesn't need proof of insurance either to get the visa overseas or extend it in-country. That applies only to O-A visas and extensions doesn't it?

Covid-19 US$100k insurance is required by all visitors. Looking at the Covid-19 coverages offered by the half-dozen local insurance companies, I doubt that a Thai teacher's health insurance would come close.
That's what I will be doing, going from a 90 day O Visa to a marriage visa. Like I stated earlier, I will worry about the covid-19 insurance to enter the country when the time comes, if it will be needed at that time, but I just wanted to make sure that the insurance I will be getting from marrying a government employee will suffice at immigration when I apply for my marriage visa.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 10, 2020, 9:27 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
August 10, 2020, 7:30 am
tamada wrote:

That's what I will be doing, going from a 90 day O Visa to a marriage visa. Like I stated earlier, I will worry about the covid-19 insurance to enter the country when the time comes, if it will be needed at that time, but I just wanted to make sure that the insurance I will be getting from marrying a government employee will suffice at immigration when I apply for my marriage visa.
You will be getting an Non O visa in the USA in a few months (you can not get one now) probably not until next year.you may well need COVID-19 insurance to get the visa.

When you are allowed to fly the conditions of entry will probably require you to have COVID-19 insurance that will be valid for at least 90 days. There is no information at the moment as you do not qualify for entry.

You will not apply for a marriage visa in Thailand. You will apply for an extension of stay based on marriage (it is not a visa) there is no requirement at this time for insurance for your extension.

To get the extension you will need either 40,000 minimum transferred from overseas for at least 2 months or 400,000 in an account in your name only that has been there for a minimum of 60 days.

If you will be able to use your wife’s insurance is another matter. Maybe yes maybe no, maybe it depends on the hospital you go to.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2020, 9:34 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
tamada wrote:

If you are getting an 'O' visa in the US based on having a Thai spouse before you depart the US and are applying for a 1-year extension of that 'O' visa at Udon immigration based having a Thai spouse within 90 days of arrival, no proof of health insurance is needed either side of the Pacific. Unless I have missed something, there's no need for insurance with 'O' visa (both marriage and retirement) an/or extensions thereof. The insurance requirement only applies to 'O-A' (retirement) visas and/or extensions thereof.
new-immigration-rules.jpg
As STWW has pointed out, don't assume that a Thai teachers health insurance will automatically or fully cover a spouse. Maybe best to get your future wife to verify with her employers and insurers as to exactly what is required to add the farang husband and what coverage he can expect.

Personally, I would obtain my own insurance for the real emergencies.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 10, 2020, 9:55 am

tamada wrote:
August 10, 2020, 9:34 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
tamada wrote:

If you are getting an 'O' visa in the US based on having a Thai spouse before you depart the US and are applying for a 1-year extension of that 'O' visa at Udon immigration based having a Thai spouse within 90 days of arrival, no proof of health insurance is needed either side of the Pacific. Unless I have missed something, there's no need for insurance with 'O' visa (both marriage and retirement) an/or extensions thereof. The insurance requirement only applies to 'O-A' (retirement) visas and/or extensions thereof.

new-immigration-rules.jpg

As STWW has pointed out, don't assume that a Thai teachers health insurance will automatically or fully cover a spouse. Maybe best to get your future wife to verify with her employers and insurers as to exactly what is required to add the farang husband and what coverage he can expect.

Personally, I would obtain my own insurance for the real emergencies.
I am sure that at the moment all visas require COVID-19 insurance, and also sure that almost all normal, non Thai entrants must have COVID-19 insurance.

As there are few visas being issued there is no telling if the COVID-19 insurance, will be a permanent retirement.

This is completely different from the health insurance that Udon immigration is only requiring for extensions of an OA visa for retirement and that getting a Non OA requires.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 10, 2020, 10:05 am

I will not be getting married until my next trip to Thailand. So what I am gathering is that if I am married to a Thai national and extending my stay based on marriage I will not be required to show any proof of health insurance. Am I correct in that assumption?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2020, 10:27 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
August 10, 2020, 10:05 am
I will not be getting married until my next trip to Thailand. So what I am gathering is that if I am married to a Thai national and extending my stay based on marriage I will not be required to show any proof of health insurance. Am I correct in that assumption?
RIGHT NOW, the answer is YES (FFS)

At the risk of repeating myself, ALL Thai Non-O visas issued on the grounds of having a Thai spouse and ALL extensions of that Non-O visa based on still having a Thai spouse are totally bereft of the requirement to have ANY proof of health insurance.

However, since you aint coming back till next year, this whole effort for insurance reassurance and asking for personal experience is all a bit of a bandwidth waste IMHO.

YMMV

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 10, 2020, 10:30 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
August 10, 2020, 9:55 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
... Like I stated earlier, I will worry about the covid-19 insurance to enter the country when the time comes, if it will be needed at that time, ...
I am sure that at the moment all visas require COVID-19 insurance, and also sure that almost all normal, non Thai entrants must have COVID-19 insurance.

As there are few visas being issued there is no telling if the COVID-19 insurance, will be a permanent retirement.

This is completely different from the health insurance that Udon immigration is only requiring for extensions of an OA visa for retirement and that getting a Non OA requires.
I guess you missed the OP's earlier comment .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » August 10, 2020, 11:45 am

tamada wrote:
August 10, 2020, 10:27 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
August 10, 2020, 10:05 am
RIGHT NOW, the answer is YES (FFS)

At the risk of repeating myself, ALL Thai Non-O visas issued on the grounds of having a Thai spouse and ALL extensions of that Non-O visa based on still having a Thai spouse are totally bereft of the requirement to have ANY proof of health insurance.

However, since you aint coming back till next year, this whole effort for insurance reassurance and asking for personal experience is all a bit of a bandwidth waste IMHO.

YMMV
He is not married. So he can not get a visa “issued on the grounds of having a Thai spouse” he can only apply for a Non O visa as a visitor. However at the moment all visa requirements include COVID-19 insurance. This COVID-19 insurance requirement applies to all foreigners (except for some special cases such as diplomats)

As I said there are 2 totally different insurance requirements. 1 that doesn’t apply to him, general health insurance, 1 that does COVID-19 insurance. it is extremely likely that the COVID-19 insurance requirement will continue.

So for a visa
general health insurance, no
COVID-19 insurance, yes

For an extension of stay in Udon for marriage.
general health insurance, no
COVID-19 insurance, no
21D17779-275F-442D-AAE2-78243141869C.jpeg

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 10, 2020, 11:15 pm

I appreciate the answer I was looking for, I apologize for not reading between the lines before, it was my understanding on this issue before that only non O Visas did not require health insurance, I stand corrected. I appreciate everybody's response.

Return to “Insurance”