Dogs' Home

Services for your special animal can be discussed in this topic: grooming, walking, selling, storing, and suchlike.
Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Dogs' Home

Post by Brian Davis » June 29, 2017, 1:52 pm

Unlikely I guess particularly up this way, but has anyone heard of a dog sanctuary/home around Udon? I'm talking about ownerless dogs, NOT about a temporary place to temporarily house your own dog.

Marcosteffano
udonmap.com

Re: Dogs' Home

Post by Marcosteffano » June 30, 2017, 7:13 am

Brian Davis wrote:
June 29, 2017, 1:52 pm
Unlikely I guess particularly up this way, but has anyone heard of a dog sanctuary/home around Udon? I'm talking about ownerless dogs, NOT about a temporary place to temporarily house your own dog.
Never heard of a dogs home in Thailand.i think it's an horrendous situation here in Thailand.the people don't give a hoot about stray dogs unless you have an accident and then get into big trouble.sickening sight over the last couple of nights.pack of 13 at the end of my soi engaged in a mass orgy.in fact I counted over 20 in the 1km from my house to the market.i can't fathom out why the Thai people do this,it's just pure filth and madness.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 30, 2017, 4:20 pm

As much as I detested Donald Rumsfeld, he did have a point with his comment about unknown unknowns "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. " Which is reason #986 I'm glad I learned a little bit of Thai....enough to help reduce the amount of unknowns.
There's an organization in Khonkaen that helps with homeless and abandoned dogs. https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/379882

In the past, I've seen facebook pages of udon people who help out in similar situations.....but I'll have to do some digging to find them again.
Not everyone is as heartless as Mr. Rumsfeld.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 30, 2017, 4:21 pm

There is an organization (group of people) who help try unite lost dogs with their owners.
https://www.facebook.com/26858890999470 ... 44/?type=3

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 30, 2017, 4:29 pm

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 30, 2017, 5:14 pm

Whilst I agree the situation in Thailand isn't great, they do actually have one of the best organisations for street dogs in the world called the Soi Dog Foundation. They are very active in homing and treating stray dogs as well as working tirelessly to end the cruel practices of eating them. If you can't find somewhere they will usually have a contact.

https://www.soidog.org/
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » July 1, 2017, 8:07 am

vincemunday wrote:
June 30, 2017, 5:14 pm
Whilst I agree the situation in Thailand isn't great, they do actually have one of the best organisations for street dogs in the world called the Soi Dog Foundation. They are very active in homing and treating stray dogs as well as working tirelessly to end the cruel practices of eating them. If you can't find somewhere they will usually have a contact.

https://www.soidog.org/
Note - Soi Dog was created by westerners in Phuket.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 1, 2017, 9:42 am

many thais people when they get tired of their dog/cat , they will bring them to the local temple... ;)

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 1, 2017, 3:49 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I did contact Soi Dog Foundation, but they had nothing in Udon. I'll try to find the AuntyEedUdon when I have time and in town.
There are two seemingly friendly dogs, which appear to have been dumped here, perhaps because of the proximity of a look chin factory! One, unfortunately, is absolutely riddled with ticks because she? has chosen to shack up often with two shaggy dogs whose owner doesn't take much care. I've tried to spray her, but seems a losing battle. I started to feed them outside of the house, but facing criticism from my wife and locals that they're seen as 'my' dogs and that they've started to take chickens. Sooner or later, I fear they'll be thumped severely, or poisoned. I've two dogs of my own, so can't take on more.
Thus my hope that I can find somewhere to take them on board and find them a good home. I appreciate there must be thousands in the same situation.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2017, 11:03 am

Brian Davis wrote:
July 1, 2017, 3:49 pm
... I started to feed them outside of the house, but facing criticism from my wife and locals that they're seen as 'my' dogs and that they've started to take chickens. ...
Current scenario at Casa tamada: there's a black dog that the late Father-in-law doted on that was a bit of a mongrel and known to snap at visitors and bite kids. Accordingly, it seemed to spend half its life chained up. Anyway, we relocated back to mi casa and the wife decided that the dog shall be better treated so enlisted her niece to assist with shampoo, haircut and debugging. Black dog now has a generally better quality of life but still tends to snap and bite strangers which I have no problem with as it helps enforce some order on the typical Isaan 'open house' when it comes to visitors.

One of the other reasons it was chained up was, "She eats the chickens!' Since Mrs tam has elevated the dog status to include feeding at the same time as her imported, hi-so, city-born shi-tzu, black dog doesn't go hungry and remarkably, doesn't eat chickens any more.

Mrs tam spends a few days away, taking the hi-so pooch with her and for the life of them, these bright buggers can't work out why black dog is suddenly eating chickens again.

Good luck Brian, I know what you are up against but in their eyes, you are doomed to failure regardless of any success in finding dog carers in Udon.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 3, 2017, 3:42 pm

seems like almost every family in our neighborhood has 3-5 dogs, none of them restrained and few of them "fixed". They mob up at night and roam the streets tipping over garbage bins and dragging trash all over the streets along with fighting and chasing any female dog in heat. Nothing like a 2AM gang of snarling, screwing howling dogs near your house to get your blood pressure up. We live in front of a Wat so you can bet there are always people dumping cats and dogs there.. The monks have told folks not to do that anymore so the latest thing was someone dumping 10 four-five month old pups in our village park where today eight remain.. Once a year or so the Tessaban comes through with free rabies shots and folks do tend to take advantage of that freebie.. No mass sterilization is offered unfortunately... We've adopted two stray dogs and one stray cat along with a pup from a nearby neighbor.. That's enough for us and we keep them inside our 3 rai fenced property other than for leashed walks..

I don't know the solution since the local authorities don't seem to focus on it at all..
Dave

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » July 3, 2017, 5:30 pm

Solution is to allow them to be taken away for culinary delights. like they used to. Otherwise just have to put up with the ever increasing canine population. P.S. roadkill is on the uptick along with dumped carcasses in bags on the side of the road.

Return to “Pet Services”