Taking your shoes off!

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
trubrit
udonmap.com

Taking your shoes off!

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2009, 6:57 pm

Maybe its just me but I am getting annoyed by the increasing number of business establishments, shops and offices , that expect you to take your shoes off before entering.I am not insensitive to Thai custom and I always remove my footwear when entering a temple or someones house, but to have to take them off when going shopping seems to be asking too much. I wear lace up shoes and socks most of the time and it isn't easy standing on one leg trying to put them back on. Okay for those that wear flippers I suppose but I am questioning the need to remove them in the first place. It is a commercial establishment. I am the customer. Why should I be told to take my shoes off? Banks , shopping centres , hairdressers don't do it. Why should these , mainly farang involved places expect me to? Before anyone says " Up to me" I realise that and I avoid going anywhere and giving my business to those that I know expect the customer to go in shoeless. Interested to hear how others feel. :|

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Re: Taking your shoes off!

Post by mortiboy » June 18, 2009, 7:04 pm

I must be getting Thai orientated I have a "friend" comes see me now and then, he walks in my house with his shoes on.
I suppose he thinks because I am a farang it don't matter. I have not the heart to tell him I am offended by this. Silly really.... That's life

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » June 18, 2009, 7:08 pm

come on Val, admit it, its not that you object to this , its because you can no longer bend down that far! :D :D :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 18, 2009, 7:10 pm

No offense TB, but the way I see it no one is forcing you to live here. Either adapt and conform or pack your sh*t and go home. It's no different then all the whiners that complain about the lack of farang food/product, the weak dollar, Thai driving habits and everything else that does not conform with their western ideals. Jesus how long have you been living here and you have to whine about this trivial crap.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 18, 2009, 7:13 pm

Well Ralph, Maybe TB hasn't had the exercise like you have.....If you know what I mean. ;)

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » June 18, 2009, 7:15 pm

Morti just tell them! If friends come to visit me and they didn't take off their shoes my missus would freak so if I think they are not aware of the custom I tell them straight away, no problems.

I do agree with TB though. I find it odd that some commercial premises require you to remove your shoes. As a "flipper" wearer it no big deal but I have been places where I would much rather keep them on!

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 18, 2009, 7:19 pm

papaguido wrote:No offense TB, but the way I see it no one is forcing you to live here. Either adapt and conform or pack your sh*t and go home. It's no different then all the whiners that complain about the lack of farang food/product, the weak dollar, Thai driving habits and everything else that does not conform with their western ideals. Jesus how long have you been living here and you have to whine about this trivial crap.
papa , yo de man . =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> my sentiments entirely . when in rome and all that !!!!!!

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » June 18, 2009, 7:22 pm

Wow,,, PapaG,,,,, TruBrit was just asking what others thought about an increase in a local social custom. Let's not get the rope and lynch him yet :lol: Can't we all "just get along" :lol:

Harold

Post by Harold » June 18, 2009, 7:34 pm

My missis threw her ring up when I first took my shoes and socks off in her mums house but I had been traveling for 15 hours.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » June 18, 2009, 7:40 pm

true brit i thnk u are right. i respect thailand and the people. but commercial shops. no. do big c or car four do it. if they did there would be no customers. :D :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2009, 7:43 pm

papaguido wrote:No offense TB, but the way I see it no one is forcing you to live here. Either adapt and conform or pack your sh*t and go home. It's no different then all the whiners that complain about the lack of farang food/product, the weak dollar, Thai driving habits and everything else that does not conform with their western ideals. Jesus how long have you been living here and you have to whine about this trivial crap.
Papa. Your perfectly correct, no one is forcing me to live here, but If you read again you will see I am not complaining about Thai customs but about the farang extending those customs to commercial establishments, and asking what others think.You obviously are either having a bad time, maybe its to much baby sitting or whatever else bugs you. I have no intention of following your suggestion to pack my *** and go home.As for the dollar weakening I would think that causes you much more concern than me. The pound is relatively strong and getting stronger every day . Thank you.Suggest you take a pill and cool down. I used to respect you but if this is your true inflammatory self coming out, no more I'm afraid.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » June 18, 2009, 7:43 pm

Easy... Change to slip-ons. Coming back here last year I had to take off my shoes going through Dublin airport security. Bent down to tie shoes up and circulation to head stopped (notice I didn't say brain) so that was it with me and laced up shoes. :badteeth:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 18, 2009, 7:50 pm

a lot of these traders live on the premises , so in theory when you use that shop you are in fact entering their home . im pretty sure T B was not refering to major chain stores , but the smaller independants . i dont have a problem with respect .... which basically is all it is , i certainly do not expect others to change their customs and beliefs just because i may or may not spend a few baht . for some its just hard to be humble !!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2009, 7:51 pm

mortiboy wrote:Well Ralph, Maybe TB hasn't had the exercise like you have.....If you know what I mean. ;)
I am also ten years older. Just wait lads, it will come your way eventually. :lol:

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 18, 2009, 7:55 pm

saint wrote:a lot of these traders live on the premises , so in theory when you use that shop you are in fact entering their home . im pretty sure T B was not refering to major chain stores , but the smaller independants . i dont have a problem with respect .... which basically is all it is , i certainly do not expect others to change their customs and beliefs just because i may or may not spend a few baht . for some its just hard to be humble !!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Some are born to greatness. Some achieve it through education. Some never see it.Funnily its the latter that moan most.
:-" :-" :-" :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 18, 2009, 8:04 pm

trubrit wrote:
Papa. Your perfectly correct, no one is forcing me to live here, but If you read again you will see I am not complaining about Thai customs but about the farang extending those customs to commercial establishments, and asking what others think.You obviously are either having a bad time, maybe its to much baby sitting or whatever else bugs you. I have no intention of following your suggestion to pack my *** and go home.As for the dollar weakening I would think that causes you much more concern than me. The pound is relatively strong and getting stronger every day . Thank you.Suggest you take a pill and cool down. I used to respect you but if this is your true inflammatory self coming out, no more I'm afraid.
WTF, where in you original post are you implying that. Sorry Val, sounds like another whiny post much like the others that complain of how the Thai culture impedes on their lifestyle.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 18, 2009, 8:31 pm

if you go in to Angels salon you remove your shoes I use to go every day and now I live out of town
I do not have a problem as long as they have some place I can sit down to remove them if not I still remove them, I do not wear flippers but I do wear sandals so it a Velcro strap that holds mine on so it no big deal for me and Papa as for whining about the baht that me and I will continue to whine

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 18, 2009, 8:39 pm

trubrit wrote:
saint wrote:a lot of these traders live on the premises , so in theory when you use that shop you are in fact entering their home . im pretty sure T B was not refering to major chain stores , but the smaller independants . i dont have a problem with respect .... which basically is all it is , i certainly do not expect others to change their customs and beliefs just because i may or may not spend a few baht . for some its just hard to be humble !!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Some are born to greatness. Some achieve it through education. Some never see it.Funnily its the latter that moan most.
:-" :-" :-" :lol:
dont put yourself down val , im sure even a moaner like you have had fleeting glimpses of greatness at some stage . just because you cant remember , does not nessarily mean that they never happened . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 18, 2009, 8:39 pm

I must admit TB I haven't noticed it much in Udon. When I lived 'out in the sticks' most of the shops were 'shop/houses' and so most people took their shoes off - as I did as well. (Except for 7/11 who would have probably gathered them up & resold them :D )... Hence I use slip ons - didn't when I first came here, only lace ups. Now living in Udon I really should go back to lace-ups as I only put them on when I go out, don't need to take them off while I am out & most Thai steps are lethal in slip ons - especially in the wet!!!

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 18, 2009, 8:44 pm

I'm with you, PG. We live here, and these people make a big deal out of their customs and practices and we should respect that, however inconvenient it may be. The practice of removing ones shoes when entering their abode (even if it is a commercial establishment) is one that I personally find particularly disgusting, but I do it out of respect. I would much rather people wear their shoes when walking on my floor, rather than spreading their athlete's foot fungus or God knows what other diseases or germs they may have on their sweaty bare feet. After all, thats why we clean our floors once in a while. But hey, that's what they are used to doing. It's just like eating with their fingers, eating ants and bugs, or eating food that's covered with flies. That's what their used to and who am I to move here and insist that they reverse thousands of years of culture just because it's different from mine. Anyway, go with the flow is always the best policy, and I agree with you, of you don't like it you can always leave.

Return to “Open Forum”