new scam from your friend, supposedly

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
laphanphon

new scam from your friend, supposedly

Post by laphanphon » August 29, 2010, 3:55 am

got a typical african scam in my email.........with a nice twist to it , actually rather good thinking on scammers part, except they should of done a bit more research themselves. actually well written, but not in the style of the person is was supposed to of come from, with his new signature and quote at bottom of his emails, as i checked back to a couple i still had saved.

quick specific, asking for a loan, ASAP, from an aussie friends email account, old account, didn't ask for much money, mere 1500 USD, for medical treatment of a possible life of death situation of his cousin in the UK.

I was suspicious fromr the get go, but asked a couple brits a forum to verify couple things, along with their opinion, all in agreement, not written be a brit / aussie, as i already knew, the UK provides free medical, though not sure if cousin was brit or aussie, but also know OZ offers free medical. and the life threatening fibroid of the female version spreading quickly to abdomen, were all red flags for me.

plus i've know this person for over 8 yrs, visited him in bang saen and he stayed in my house when in udon once, though haven't seen him in long time, frequently got together at night market, since his w/gf works in udon / isan on a regular basis as a roaming auditor for major food chain.

the kicker was, unknown to scammer, if he was going to ask me for a loan, he wouldn't do it in an email, but simple call me on the phone or IM if he didn't have phone, then ask...............so since a decent friend, but an internet friend and actual total time together friend limited, too many red flags.

but hats off to scammer, well done, thru someone's email, and asking for a small amount of money, which at the end, surely adds up. but since I know UK and OZ both offer free med, and most western gov't hospitals, on a life of death situation, are going to let you die, or themselves get sued for same, especially for fibriod cyst, not the most terminal illness, and total hysty, not high tech or most expensive operation.

just a heads up in case a long lost friend asks you for small amount with a sad story............and thanks to those that verified my suspicions, which didn't take much convincing, also informed UK and OZ have a reciprocal free med program for treatment of either if necessary when away from home and in either country.

nice twist though and thanks again. always someone out there trying to separate you from you hard earned, well sometimes, money. today i received an email for friend informing me that old account got hacked and the sad story was in circulation................which as long as he paid me the million baht and the buffalo was fine, our friendship could continue. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Re: new scam from your friend, supposedly

Post by papaguido » August 29, 2010, 7:11 am

It's going around. Not long ago a friend forwarded (as a warning) an email he received with a similar scam from someone also known to me. The scammer claimed to be in Spain and lost his passport, wallet, no money, ATM and was asking for a favor. Fortunately, the guy who sent me the email had just recently talked to the other guy on the phone and a trip to Spain or any other place never came up. Suspecting something wasn't kosher he called the friend in the US to confirm. Apparently, the other guy was already aware of it, he claims someone hacked in to his account.

A similar scam also posted here:

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... am#p224343

Smackthat

Post by Smackthat » August 29, 2010, 7:40 am

Does this peron have the name of Fred ? If so I have recieved a simular e-mail.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 29, 2010, 10:44 am

Smackthat wrote:Does this peron have the name of Fred ? If so I have recieved a simular e-mail.
No it wasn't.

The scam is similar to the following, although I don't believe it's a Nigerian type scam. Not sure if they have a name for it, Distress Scam? maybe, but this is the closes thing I could find.
Distress Scam: Warning! Hacked Yahoo Account Used to Scam Friends

We received this report from one of our readers.

Her account was hacked, and the scammer was using it to sending a distress email to her boyfriend asking for money...
cont.

http://www.hotscams.com/articles/distre ... iends.html

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » August 29, 2010, 11:11 am

my boss's e-mail account got hacked about a month ago and his contacts got the "I'm in Spain, no passport, no money" request same as outlined in the string... Guess folks need to ensure they've got a strong password on their generic e-mail accounts to prevent this form happening....

Return to “Open Forum”