Tropical Climate Hints

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by parrot » July 31, 2013, 3:44 pm

I didn't think Heloise Hints would be appropriate for a name.....I think she died some time ago.....so Tropical Climate Hints it is:

If you don't want to risk losing a perfectly good remote (air/tv/dvd/etc) to the ravages of leaking batteries, best to check the controls every few weeks. You'll probably end up changing batteries before they're dead, but better than buying a new remote if the batteries leak.

My gardener has shown me how he keeps a small tube of super glue from hardening by keeping the open tube (tape around the nozzle) in the refrigerator. It works!

The space behind a refrigerator is a good place to dry out a pair of damp/wet shoes/sneakers.

Anybody else?

Barney
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by Barney » July 31, 2013, 3:59 pm

.Shower minimum twice daily and change your chang singlet to a clean one prior to getting on a plane. My last flight a falang did not adhere to either.

Shado
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by Shado » July 31, 2013, 4:50 pm

Good tips parrot. I do change remote control batteries regularly but I also have been buying super glue regularly after a single use as well. I will definitely try the refrigerator storage tip.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by semperfiguy » July 31, 2013, 4:52 pm

For that pesky mildew that forms in the shower so easily in this climate, use liquid bleach in a spray bottle and the mildew disappears like magic. You can cut it with 50% water if the smell is too strong. In the States we refer to beach as Clorox, but here the brand name is Haiter. But be careful....if you ask your Thai wife for bleach she will hand you the clothes washing detergent...not the same thing as Haiter.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by semperfiguy » July 31, 2013, 4:58 pm

Shado wrote:Good tips parrot. I do change remote control batteries regularly but I also have been buying super glue regularly after a single use as well. I will definitely try the refrigerator storage tip.
Just be careful putting that super glue in the fridge and make sure that no children have access to it and all adults know exactly what it is. That's some dangerous stuff and someone could easily wind up gluing their fingers together, or worse, gluing their eyes shut or their lips together. Anything is possible!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

KB_Texas

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by KB_Texas » July 31, 2013, 7:18 pm

semperfiguy wrote:For that pesky mildew that forms in the shower so easily in this climate, use liquid bleach in a spray bottle and the mildew disappears like magic. You can cut it with 50% water if the smell is too strong. In the States we refer to beach as Clorox, but here the brand name is Haiter. But be careful....if you ask your Thai wife for bleach she will hand you the clothes washing detergent...not the same thing as Haiter.
It actually does not need to be straight bleach, or even 50-50. For a normal mid-sized spray bottle, I use ~15% bleach, a small amount of dishwashing soap and fill with water. Works perfectly.

For cleaning your eye glasses, use a few drops of mild dishwashing soap (no bleach or the like), 25% rubbing alcohol, and top with water. Shake well before using. Use a SMALL spray bottle for this as the alcohol will evaporate over time.

KB

arjay
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by arjay » July 31, 2013, 11:00 pm

Air movement helps keep you cool in hot weather, thus a fan will often suffice and may avoid the need for AC.

If you run AC don't set it too cool, I'd suggest running it at 27C, which should be cool enough. It will also help you acclimatise to the hotter temperatures in LOS (and avoid you stepping out of a "cold" room at say 23C into an outside temperature of 30C+ which would then seem like a sauna).

I find I don't need the AC on all night, - just for the first hour or two is usually sufficient (in the hot weather).

Running the AC in dehumidifying mode will make the room seem cooler and cool you down, and use less electricity than having the AC in normal cooling mode because the compressor doesn't cut in very often. Used in dehumidifying mode at this time of year (the wet season) helps remove moisture from the room and minimise dampness, mould & mildew problems.

A lot wattage (tubular) heater kept on in the wardrobe (closet) at this time of year keeps clothes dry, aired, smelling nice and free from damp, mould, mildew or musty smells.

Having and using extractor fans in bathrooms helps minimise damp, mould, and deterioration of paintwork.

Shado
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by Shado » August 1, 2013, 6:27 am

Ziplock plastic bags. Lots of them. All different sizes. Helps to protect against moisture and insects.

parrot
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by parrot » August 1, 2013, 8:55 am

Shado wrote:Ziplock plastic bags. Lots of them. All different sizes. Helps to protect against moisture and insects.

Buy the generic ones at Ngeesoon.....much cheaper than the real McCoy.

parrot
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by parrot » August 1, 2013, 10:50 am

Moth Balls (not the real ones, but the fake white ones in supermarkets)....help deter rats/field mice from going into your engine compartment and chewing up a few wires or small hoses. If you detect tiny footprints in the engine compartment, try placing a few moth balls around the compartment.......in places where they won't fall out if you drive the vehicle. You can also place a balls underneath the engine compartment as added protection. Especially useful if your vehicle sits idle for long periods of time.

Yes, I'm aware of moth balls and cancer......but I don't really care if rats in my engine compartment get cancer.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by jimboLV » August 2, 2013, 2:41 pm

Great Topic! And very timely one about the moth balls, Parrot. You posted that yesterday at 10:50 AM. Just about that time my wife came in and announced that the Mechanic at Ford had found a dead rat in the car's air conditioner duct in an advance state of decomposition. It stunk to high heaven. She had taken it in as the AC quit working while she was taking our youngster to school. It turned out that a resister in the AC had burned out. Can't really blame it on the rat, as he had expired in the duct not near where the resister is located. The mechanic said we should always close the duct when parking the car, as that was probably how he got in. So just a coincidence. Then wife said she has heard something scampering around in the attic. She thought it was the local Tokay who occasionally visits us.

So we are off to Big C to get some moth balls for the car and rat poison for the attic. I will also spread a few balls around the ignitors on my Quik Fire BBQ as I have had problems with spiders that love to build their nest in the sparker, disrupting the gas flow and making it impossible to adjust the flame. We will see if that works.

Again thanks for the timely hint.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by semperfiguy » August 2, 2013, 3:02 pm

jimboLV wrote: So we are off to Big C to get some moth balls for the car and rat poison for the attic. I will also spread a few balls around the ignitors on my Quik Fire BBQ as I have had problems with spiders that love to build their nest in the sparker, disrupting the gas flow and making it impossible to adjust the flame. We will see if that works.

Again thanks for the timely hint.
Jimbo, just a word of caution with regards to using the mothballs around those ignitors. Picked this off the internet:

Medically Safe?

There are questions concerning the long-term health effects of mothballs, particularly the benzene formulation. For significant details about the hazards of mothballs visit The National Pesticide Information Center. Other safety concerns? Moth balls are flammable. They burn very well too.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Tropical Climate Hints

Post by jimboLV » August 2, 2013, 3:15 pm

Thanks, Semper. I suspected that. So I was thinking of making a bag out of that blue netting you see everywhere, put a few mothballs in it and hanging it in the corner as far as possible from the ignitors. Also would take it out when grilling. Not just for the flame but I wouldn't want the fumes to "flavor" my burgers and steaks. :shock:

Return to “Open Forum”