Falling Gates

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

Falling Gates

Post by parrot » June 13, 2014, 4:00 pm

A sad story in today's Nation about a young girl who died when her school's gate fell on her.
I'd normally pass off a story like this as 1 in a million.....but am aware of two adults in the Udon area who were also terribly injured with falling gates over the years.
Sort of in the same category as those hot water heaters in the shower......we all take them for granted and assume they're in perfect working order.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 36121.html

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Falling Gates

Post by semperfiguy » June 13, 2014, 8:55 pm

This sort of thing doesn't surprise me in the least. This gate didn't just fall down for no reason. There's no doubt that there was a noticeable problem with the gate that had been ignored time and time again. This "mai pen rai" attitude about everything in Thailand is so counter-productive. Everywhere I go I see things that need maintaining, but nobody takes the initiative to do anything about it. One person might see that something needs to be tended to, but the idea of doing it themselves is out of the question for most because they are simply too lazy. And to actually ask someone else to be responsible and perform the job that they were hired to do and "cause them an inconvenience" is too confrontational. Innocent people die daily due to this kind of irresponsibility and the locals have the audacity to continue to accept this type of behavior as just being "Thainess".

I was in UD Tesco this week and in the vegetable department I noticed a spring loaded electrical outlet in the floor in the center of the aisle that was being held down by a piece of duct tape that had come loose, and the outlet had sprung up just waiting for someone to trip over it. I stood back and watched several employees walk around it and no one paid any attention to it. I had a life size picture in my mind of some old lady falling over the obstacle, cracking her head open on the concrete floor and dying right there on the spot.There's absolutely no excuse for not fixing that problem within minutes after it was spotted.

How many motorbikes to you see putting around town with burned out tail lights, or tractor trailer trucks speeding down the highway with busted turn lights or tail lights. There's a potential traffic fatality following every one of them, and nobody gives a crap. How much trouble could it possibly be for a responsible truck driver to maintain his truck properly and check his lights before every run?

Anyway, the list could go on and on, and no doubt more innocent victims will continue to die needlessly like this. Shame on lazy people who hide behind their Thainess!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Falling Gates

Post by parrot » June 13, 2014, 9:09 pm

Actually, one of the two people who I know who had gates fall on them was an American. The gate was at his house.......it fell on him as he was opening it. I wouldn't consider him a slouch or irresponsible or lazy. The other person was a very successful businesswoman.....far from lazy or irresponsible or a slouch as well.

It is what it is.......living in a developing country. My post was merely an effort to alert others to some dangers that they might encounter here. I see no reason to turn it into a bashing thread.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Falling Gates

Post by Stantheman » June 13, 2014, 11:02 pm

While I must agree that there are large problems with maintenance in Thailand, I think the big problem is the design of the gates and their support structure being very inadequate to support the weight of the gates and the constant opening and closing.

maaka
udonmap.com

Falling Gates

Post by maaka » June 14, 2014, 7:09 am

I guess if you had six monthly vehicle checks, and a Warrant of Roadworthiness for the vehicle, and a fine if driving without, then smashed tail lights etc etc etc would be a thing of the past..Same with Building Inspectors for those spring wire things, Semi is on about, having to conform to standards might pick these things up, but its Thailand, not the West..same with the gates, should be inspected before sale of house ..bla bla...but of course many Thai are struggling for a job, and dont neccessarily no much about welding or engineering, just sort of picked it up, and next they are making gates..

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Falling Gates

Post by semperfiguy » June 14, 2014, 8:55 am

This is a direct quote for The Nation newspaper report:

"Acting school director Kodiyah Kadey said the school was sorry and was ready to assist the girl's family.

She said the gate had been broken for a while and school staff tried to keep it in a usable condition.

She said the school would fix the gate soon to prevent a reoccurrence of the tragedy".

That my friends is nothing short of willful negligence, and back in the States somebody would go to jail and there would be a huge monetary settlement for the family of the deceased. Unfortunately, this is Thailand where life is cheap and justice is a 30,000 baht payoff to the family of the deceased...and everybody walks free to do it again.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Falling Gates

Post by parrot » September 26, 2020, 3:21 am

A woman broke her leg on Srichomcheun Rd when the gate at her house fell on her a few days ago. I post only to point out the hazards of Thai gates.....I've seen many that could crush a man and know of two people, one in a coma for years, the other seriously impaired. Judging Thai standards to US standards doesn't make much sense if you live in Thailand.....unless you live in a cave in your home....and even that probablly has some level of sub-standard electrical work in it. If you have a large gate at your home, you'd be wise to give it a good lookover on a regular basis.

https://udontoday.co/250963-3/

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » September 26, 2020, 3:25 am

semperfiguy wrote:
June 14, 2014, 8:55 am

"Acting school director Kodiyah Kadey said the school was sorry and was ready to assist the girl's family.

She said the gate had been broken for a while and school staff tried to keep it in a usable condition.

She said the school would fix the gate soon to prevent a reoccurrence of the tragedy".

That my friends is nothing short of willful negligence, and back in the States somebody would go to jail and there would be a huge monetary settlement for the family of the deceased. Unfortunately, this is Thailand where life is cheap and justice is a 30,000 baht payoff to the family of the deceased...and everybody walks free to do it again.
That's a bit rich SFG given the US response to Covid 19.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 26, 2020, 8:35 am

GT93 wrote:
September 26, 2020, 3:25 am
semperfiguy wrote:

Steady on there GT. Your talking about the guy who whines about the indolent sloth of the locals after watching a dangerous trip hazard in the local supermarket but only complains about it on an anonymous internet forum. I mean how long would it have taken him to place an upturned shopping basket or two over it?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » September 27, 2020, 2:34 am

parrot wrote:
September 26, 2020, 3:21 am
A woman broke her leg on Srichomcheun Rd when the gate at her house fell on her a few days ago. I post only to point out the hazards of Thai gates.....I've seen many that could crush a man and know of two people, one in a coma for years, the other seriously impaired. Judging Thai standards to US standards doesn't make much sense if you live in Thailand.....unless you live in a cave in your home....and even that probablly has some level of sub-standard electrical work in it. If you have a large gate at your home, you'd be wise to give it a good lookover on a regular basis.

https://udontoday.co/250963-3/
I remember Sal getting hurt , this gate failure is more frequent than people realise ,just to my awareness i know of 3 people just in Kumphawapi who've fallen victim to this ( 1 is the stepson ,at 8 years old he still bears the long scar in his head from the drain they had to put in he's now 27 ,)the design on most are poor at best , if left open ,they are basically at the mercy of the strength of the holding (first post ,) maintainance and clearing of the path of the rollers is a must ,as something as simple as a small stone can bounce the roller of track and over comes the gate ,when closing must close fully into the retaining post ,many people leave them just slightly open ,as due to ground movement they dont match anymore with the retaining post ,

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 27, 2020, 5:59 am

GT93 wrote:
September 26, 2020, 3:25 am
semperfiguy wrote:

Thank you GT93 for quoting a post from over 6 years ago, then adding an irrelevant post.

Return to “Open Forum”