Were should I draft my Will

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Nevoil
udonmap.com

Post by Nevoil » February 10, 2016, 9:14 pm

Gents
I'm looking for some advice on drafting my will, whether to do it in the UK or here in Thailand.
I have no assets in the UK, house sold etc.
It just a monetary issue to be really honest.
All the houses and land we have here in Thailand will be the wife's so that raps that up.
Just require some thoughts or options on the subject.

Thanks

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » February 10, 2016, 10:47 pm

You can write a will mostly anywhere but then must decide what country it is legal in and who would be the executor of the will (typically, an executor must: Find the deceased person's assets and manage them until they are distributed to inheritors. This may involve deciding whether to sell real estate or securities owned by the deceased person. Decide whether or not probate court proceedings are needed)., therefore if you decide on Thailand you can write it in English have it then translated into Thai and then notarized by a legal office.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 10, 2016, 10:54 pm

Nevoil wrote:Just require some thoughts or options on the subject.
read this > Thai Law online

Nevoil
udonmap.com

Post by Nevoil » February 10, 2016, 11:18 pm

samuel wrote:
Nevoil wrote:Just require some thoughts or options on the subject.
read this > Thai Law online
Thanks for that info Samuel.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » February 10, 2016, 11:53 pm

Thai jurisdiction does not extend out of the Kingdom, with except to child support, and a bit of red tape at that.

If assets in UK, will need a will written and or recognized in the UK.

In Thailand, if just money in the bank, yours, and not a joint account, wife simply needs marriage / death cert to get the funds. Land and house would already be in her name, so no need. If only money in Thai bank, I wouldn't even bother with a will. UP2U. Legal doc must be in Thai, and wills registered. Actually an easy process, as I've had it done, actually by the registry clerk, during her lunch hour for a decent tip.

Use to have the link, sorry, don't now as not needed, for a PDF, fill in the blanks Thai will online. Is recognized at amphur office. Much cheaper than typing one up, and getting it translated, though that shouldn't be expensive either.

If reading it correctly, you definitely do NOT need a lawyer.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 11, 2016, 5:20 am

a Will can be written on a piece of toilet paper, as long as its signed, and dated by you and a witness ..

one thing is to have a clear signature..

my dad was dying in hospital, and we needed to change his Will because he left all to mum who had dementure, and because I had NO power of attorney , could not use those future funds for her future care..dad was sane but his signature was like a kiddy's scribble due to his weakened state in hospital,,,after death the Court questioned whether he knew what he was signing..lucky the doctor was a signatory witness when the Will was signed in hospital..however we had a hell of a job tracking down the doctor to then sign an affidivd that dad was mentally ok, for the Court to proceed...so do it when your still young and sane..

Enduring Power of Attorney is something else I would consider drawing up and signing...re your health and welfare, and property..do it before you loose your marbles, otherwise you cant sign it, and your family cant deal with your healthcare matters.....

in regards my mum, the hospital would not operate because we did not have Power of Attorney ( even though they have a Duty of Care )...someone might have a stroke or heartattack or get dementure etc etc...your wife may need the authority to act on your behalf is such circumstances..

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 16, 2016, 1:02 am

My attorney advised having a will for my assets in Thailand and another for my assets in the United States.

Return to “Open Forum”